Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Yoga?
jennagale76 posted:
Have any of you tried yoga to relieve pain? I started doing it on and off about a year ago, but have recently become addicted to it, and do it daily. I still have pain but I notice a big difference in the intensity most days. Anyone else tried any type of excercise?

booch007 responded:
I think trying anything is a good thing.

I did yoga years ago and I feel with my* body, it can't do the positions that they would ask me to do. A good leader though would be helpful if she understood our limitations.

A warm meditation group might be a thought too.

I just tend to stay to myself and push the envelope in my house. Try a yoga tape that way you can stop when you need and try again when you want.

bet you could check out one at a library first...cheap alternative?

Good luck, Nancy B

cwalker608 responded:
The type of yoga that you do really matters. I've done yoga on and off for years, mainly as a way of relieving stress and improving range of motion. I really didn't start doing it consistently until a year ago. Initially, I was taking classes at the YMCA. It was a low-key class (both the teacher and most of the students were retirees with chronic pain issues). But I still found that the teacher did too many exercises that put prolonged stress on the wrists.

I stopped going to the classes at the Y and started taking individual classes with a guy who is both a certified yoga teacher and a massage therapist. He gave me a program of more gentle poses. And when I do them consistently (about 20 minutes in the morning), I notice a big reduction in my pain levels.

In addition to yoga, I do water aerobics and walking. I wish I could do more intense cardio or weight-bearing exercise, but I've realized that anything else triggers flares.

thenikki64 responded:
I find yoga keeps me less painful, and I always feel really good immediately afterwards. I wish I could get addicted to it...seems exercise and I just can't get together on a regular basis right now:) I also find swimming is good for me. I start out painful, painful, but the more I swim, the less painful I become.
Pam in Savannah

katmandulou responded:
Yoga helps me move, and I miss it when I can't go! I only take one class each week, but it's great.

My instructor teaches to your ability, and there are people of many abilities in the classes. When I started, there were tow of us with FM, and we were on two different levels, a woman recovering from knee surgery, and another recovering from shoulder surgery. She teaches alternate poses for people who can't manage the real ones. For someone with back problems, a 'downward facing dog' can be as simple as a slight bend and your hands reaching for the floor.

Sometimes the class starts with meditation or chanting, but I don't care. I've also met some wonderful people. I also try to practice at home, but have failed with that lately. I knew that if I tried a DVD i'd hurt myself, not get the positions right, and I'd glad I'm a yogi!
Lou

Helpful Tips

For All our new members
Welcome all new members, I want you to understand how important it is to be o.k. with coming here to lift your spirits and release ... More
Was this Helpful?
369 of 396 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.