Skip to content
question for Nurse Nancy
1wareaglefan posted:
Hey, Nancy, and anyone who's interested in reading this. I had knee replacement surgery 2 weeks ago today. My doctor gives me enough meds to last 5 days...that's taking them the way he prescribed. Is this the usual way of treating a patient after major surgery?

I know they don't want you on pain meds for too long, but my gosh! The therapy for this is brutal, and the recovery doesn't seem to be a super fast thing. However I am at the point where I feel I can slowly start to cut back on my number of doses a day.

I just don't like the feeling that I'm doing something wrong and being made to feel guilty for calling them every 5 days. I saw another patient of his at therapy yesterday, and she said she's hoarding her pills and not taking them, b/c of the few number he gave her.

Something about this is just not right! What do you think?

Thanks so much! ELizabeth

An_244127 responded:
Hi Elizabeth, I know I'm not Nancy, but I did want to say that I took care of my sister after she had 3 cervical fusions in her neck( not quite the same as your knee) but she had the same problem with the surgeon only giving out a small amount of pain medicine. She went back to her original doctor for the rest of the prescriptions and he said that is completely normal because surgeons normally don't handle the aftercare of a patient. I hope this helps and you are feeling better.

dollbug responded:
Hello Elizabeth....MiMi in NC....I have had several surgeries in the past few years...and each time the doctor prescribed me with a lot more pain medicine than I ever needed....I do not take them but for a day or two once I get home...as I hate the way they make me feel....I sleep all the time and do not remember anything...

I have had 4 knee surgeries myself....and I know just how hard the therapy is for this....and I can also say that my recovery took forever....I do not think there is anything quick with dealing with the knees...

I do not understand why you would even have to call someone every 5 days in order to get something to help your pain...I have to ask...by chance is your doctor really young?

I do hope that you will talk to the doctor about this...of course I also know that most surgeons do not even have a clue what kind of pain a person goes through...

Take care and good luck...I used a heating pad (moist) when I had surgery....I do know that doctors want you to use ICE...which does nothing for me at all...

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

My personal exchanges are Vitamin D and Pain and Wrath of the Dragon....if you care to visit..

1wareaglefan responded:
Thanks to both of you for your responses. My surgeon is the one giving the few pills at the time. I got to thinking if he wouldn't give me anymore I'd be calling my GP!

But he did give me another prescription. He switched the med from percocet to lortab. He said he wants to get me off the stronger med, while still providing pain relief. I understand that, and I think I'm at the point now where that switch will be ok. This was just horrendous pain at the beginning! It's slowly getting more tolerable.

Mimi, yes the therapy is pretty rough. But I think I'm doing pretty well with it. It isn't the exercises that are so rough, but the bending of the knee to get a certain range of motion. They want to push you every day. I understand that, I know it has to be done.

Anyway, I feel ok with what he's done now with my meds. But you know I got to thinking about it from a cost view. Doing it this way costs me a copay every 5 days! That plus the cost of therapy copay is a lot!!

Thanks again, guys.

Elizabeth

1wareaglefan replied to dollbug's response:
Mimi, I forgot to answer your question. No this doctor isn't young. In fact he's retiring in August!!

booch007 replied to 1wareaglefan's response:
Hi Elizabeth,

I see you got some good hugs above....

It is often that they under prescribe the narcotics now, and you MUST be your own advocate to get help if you need more.

I had a full hysterectomy via the abdomen...the Uterus cut in 2 as it was so big with fibroids and post op for home....MOTRIN!
I was crying in the wheelchair and said, I am not leaving this hospital without percocet to be able to stand up!

Cripes!

My DH had a circumsicion and the Urologist sent him home with a JUG of percocet 10mg/500mg. THIS IS A SKIN OPERATION....no muscles are cut, no invasion of the body made!! MAN I was a lunatic when I saw that script!

MEN (sorry Dr P.) you have got me started here Liz....

Well, I am sorry for the need for a new knee but in the end you are renovated! And the change of med might be just right, but percocet is the bet coverage for bone.....and for the P.T area make sure you pre-medicate about 45 minutes before therapy to be OK for all that fun!

What did they say on romper room..."bend and stretch....reach for the stars....stand on tippy toes oh so far!"

Good luck, I hope you are better soon................Nancy B

1wareaglefan replied to booch007's response:
Thank you, Nancy! I had to laugh at your story about your husband....that's typical! (Sorry, Dr. P.)

Hopefully I'll do ok. His nurse said that sometimes the lortab actually works better for people. We'll see. She said to get in touch if I need to, and I told her, "you know I will!" I've gotten to know this nurse pretty well with all my calls I've had to make!

Anyway, I appreciate everybody's replies.
Elizabeth

Anon_2912 responded:
I has knee surgery (scope & MCL tear & lateral release). I was also given pain med for about 5 days, but I was given 800mg Ibprofuen. I had an extra refill for the ibprofuen, but not pain med.

Too me I hate the pain meds anyway but they do help for the first few days....after that the Ibprofuen works better, plus I went right back to work after a week, so had to think clearly & drive...TRUST ME WAS NOT PAINLESS OR EASY....

Helpful Tips

For All our new members
Welcome all new members, I want you to understand how important it is to be o.k. with coming here to lift your spirits and release ... More
Was this Helpful?
371 of 398 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.