Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
New Meds
missshortyd posted:
Hi All
I posted a while back that I didn't take any meds for my fibro just over the counter pain pills (tylenol) and muscle rub and hot soaks in the tub with medicated bath salts. Lately I have been in a lot of pain and really not sleeping (3-4 hrs a nite) so my Doc put me on tramadol and amitriptyline and I was wondering if anyone on these had any problems or any bad side effects.

Thanks
Linda

Old1now responded:
Tramadol helps me some. Cymbalta has actually been more effective, but I'm in another flare and the doctor ordered Lyrica. It was like a miracle drug for me at first. I stopped it because of fatigue but I really need it again and the insurance has declined it this time. I don't know the reason yet but I hope they listen to my doc.

foreversore responded:
My doctor tried to put me on Lyrica and Cymbalta but my insurance declined both. I have been taking Wellbutrin 150 mg twice a day and I start taking 25 mg of amitriptylene tonight. I have taken tramadol in the past. It made me a little dizzy a little sleepy but nothing I couldn't live with and after a week or so those side effects seemed to go away. Unfortunately, tramadol didn't help my pain. But just because it didn't work for me doesn't mean it wont work for you.

As for the amitriptylene I am starting it tonight and I read on the package insert that you should avoid the sun and tanning beds as it makes your skin more sensitive and suceptible to burn. It alos says to not get too over heated as you are more suceptible to heat stroke and of course the usual do not operate a car or other machinery until you get used to taking the medication.

missshortyd replied to foreversore's response:
Thanks so much for responding I read so much about both of them I got a little scared.

Linda

xperky replied to missshortyd's response:
I rely on Tramadol for my pain. It has helped me so much. I can be more active now. I'm lucky that so far - no side effects.

I took something in the same group as amitriptyline but it didn't help much, or hurt much either. You are most likely on a low dose of it, as well, so hopefully it will simply help you sleep.

I read all the info with my drugs too. We must realize the drug companies are required to list all the possible problems, otherwise we'd panic so much we wouldn't touch an aspirin!

I hope your new treatments bring you much needed relief.
With Compassion,
Margaret

Weezie6452 replied to xperky's response:
I have taken amitriptyline for years. It has been great to help with sleep and some pain management, and also as a migraine preventive. I take 75mg daily, and the biggest side effects are dry mouth and some weight gain.

I also take Tramadol for occasional mild-moderate pain and find it is good for daytime relief. However, it keeps me awake so I don't take it after about 4:00.

Louise

booch007 responded:
As you are seeing we are all different here. You seem to be in the beginning of trial and error. Hope you hit it the first time.

Elavil for me made me too groggy in the morning, I use my muscle relaxant (soma) for sleep and less pain in the morning. I used Motrin forever---years---and then had bleeding issues so I was moved to tramadol (Ultracet) and I am still here today with it.

Savella was the SNRI class that worked for me. Just the 12.5mg tablet....hust enough to lower fatigue I guress and sharpen the brain and lower the pain for sure.

When I statred it I used the dose pak and it brought the dose up too fast, I had B/P problems and palpataions and couldn't sleep...so I found that the little crumb was all I needed. Others here take the full 50mg twice a day.

See we are all different. Flexeril did nothing for me, soma was the best.

May I also poin tout that a memory foam mattress topper for your bed will help you too. Those hot spots that hurt are absorbed n to the foam and you sleep much deeper.

Good luck on oyur path.................Nancy B

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
460 of 535 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.