Skip to content
Memorial Day Weekend
Caprice_WebMD_Staff posted:
What are your plans for the upcoming Memorial Day weekend? What's your favorite way to enjoy this weekend? Share your favorite Memorial Day weekend memories. What does Memorial Day mean to you?
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. ~Joseph Campbell

katmandulou responded:
Our starts Saturday, when the local veteran's office holds their Memorial Day Parade. I have a client who hates to see the "junk sellers" (cleaned up for family viewers!) who sell their junk. What does Dora the Explorer have to do with Memorial Day? He donates 600 flags to the downtown organization to distribute free. Last year, the local Elks were passing out flags too. After the parade is a nice ceremony in the park with the war memorials.

Sometimes we go to a cookout , sometimes we stay home. it depends on our (my?) mood and how we're (I'm?) feeling.
Lou

missshortyd replied to katmandulou's response:
On Saturday we are going to my daughter's house in Harrisburg for a weekend BBQ. I'm bringing the salads and crabs yum yum!!!!

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to katmandulou's response:
That all sounds nice, Lou.

Whatever you end up doing this weekend, enjoy it!
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. ~Joseph Campbell

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to missshortyd's response:
BBQs are definitely the thing, Missshortyd.

If you have any favorite recipes to share, check out this discussion .

Randm2220 responded:
Caprice,

What a great discussion!

Being a veteran my self, I am reverent on this weekend. We fly our flag proudly. we don't usually do much. Crowds really bother me so we stay home. This year we will probably roast hotdogs in the fire pit and just enjoy a relaxing day. We would grill, but our deck has not been started yet. Government is so slow with the permits!

angelswife responded:
Hi Caprice,
I won't be doing much this year, as I'm still nursing my broken leg and ankle. If I can get out onto the deck into some real fresh air that will be celebration enough for me. I haven't been out of the house in five weeks now except for doctor's visits. Not my idea of a good time, lol.

My husband is a vet, so he flies his grandfather's huge flag off the side of our place. It's a six-foot flag. Usually I celebrate by sprucing up our Town Hall and planting flowers in the planters. Not so this year---boo. I am lucky to be able to sit at the computer for a few minutes!

I had a little tradition of my own for Memorial Day. I like to buy a couple dozen roses and hand them out to the veterans, "just because". One WW2 veteran actually cried when I gave him a rose. I will miss doing that; but there's always next year.

Hope your holiday is great. Gotta go and put my leg up again now (sigh!)

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to Randm2220's response:
I hope those permits come through sooner rather than later, Randm.

It sounds like you have a nice, relaxing weekend planned. Just what the doctor ordered.

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to angelswife's response:
I hope you get out on that deck, Angelswife. I can't imagine being trapped in the house for so long!

It's really good to hear how you and others really do observe the reason for this long weekend. I love the idea of giving veterans a rose and hope you're able to return to that next year.

rudyandirmouse responded:
Caprice, to use a famous making phrase " I'm going to DisneyWorld ". Meeting up with all three of my DD's and, @ last, all 6 of my GC. Will have 5 days with them and file that under: I am going be so happy.

Hope your weekend is a good one and that have a really nice time @ what ever you and your family choose to do.

Angleswife: Next year you will make up double for not making it out with the roses this year. Have a great time and get well quickly.

Lou, your plans sound great.. have a wonderful time.

missshortyd, your weekend plans sound tasty.. yummy.

Stay safe ya' all, gentle hugs.. Linda R

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to rudyandirmouse's response:
I am sooooooooooooo jealous, Linda!

I can't wait to go to Disneyland again, this time including my grandchildren! They're a bit too young still but we'll get there one day.

Have a blast! And hug Tigger for me.

katmandulou replied to katmandulou's response:
I'm going to be IN the parade! I was appointed to my town's 125th anniversary committee, and I'll be carrying a banner with the chairman of the committee. We'll also have the 10-year-old girl who designed our logo.

I'm hoping to get back on the bike this weekend. LOL I'll report on that next week!

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to katmandulou's response:
I hope you don't overdo, Lou, but it all sounds like fun and very worthwhile!

jillylin responded:
We don't have this holiday here in the UK but I hope you all have a great time and that pain levels don't spoil it too much for you.
Jilly

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to jillylin's response:
I'm in Canada, Jillylin, so it's not a holiday here either. Thanks for stopping in and saying hello to everyone!

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
471 of 546 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.