Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Central Senitization Disorder
goredbirdsgo posted:
I was wondering if anyone has heard of Central Senitization Disorder? The doctors I've seen at Mayo Clinic believe this may be the cause of fibromyalgia of course its still just a theory. My doctor said the the thalmus in the brain is letting all the signals thru instead of flitering so we're more sensitive to things like lights, noises, touch...etc Our senses are heightened due to being in a constant fight or flight mode.

Anon_2912 responded:
Fibro is "sensitivity to pain".

Do I believe it causes ALL other symptoms others claim, "nope", but that IMHO....

Millions of people have one or more of the symptoms attributed to fibro, they just relate to pain differently.

Old1now responded:
There is a podcast on YouTube by a rheumatologist, Andrew Gross that talks about that I found it on the post about FM day but I don't know how to link the site. It is a good site Mary

Mark Pellegrino, MD responded:
Central Sensitization Disorder was originally described over ten years ago for fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome to explain the mechanism of hypersensitization to pain signals. Since then, it has been used to describe the pain mechanism of other chronic pain conditions such as complex regional pain syndrome, certain peripheral neuropathies, certain brain and spinal cord conditions etc.

When I think of central sesitization, I think more the "mechanism" of pain rather that a specific "cause" of pain. With fibro, this mechanism is quite complex. The thalamus is involved, but the body's entire neuro-endocrine system plays a role in the dysfunctional changes that occur in fibro.

Ultimately, our fibro central nervous system becomes "rewired" and we experience typical features of "central pain." These include increased pain to normally non-painful sensory signals (called allodynia), increased pain to normally painful signals (called hyperalgia), and overall lowered pain threshold and persistent spontaneous pain.

If you enter "central pain syndrome" in the Search This Community box above my picture in the upper right, you will get several prior discussions on this topic you may find helpful.

Dr. P

goredbirdsgo replied to Mark Pellegrino, MD's response:
It was suggested by a Mayo Clinic doctor that I try Cognitive Behavioral Therapy to try and help turn down the pain signals. Have you seen any positive results from this therapy?

Also, I had a very bad reaction to Cymbalta and have now been off of it for about one month. Continuous muscle spasms in the arms and legs resulted during the withdrawal time. They have improved but have not gone away. Have you seen anyone with this problem? Have you seen them go away on their own?

A Psychologist at the Mayo Clinic thinks the Cymbalta triggered a dysfunctional habitat that needs to be retrained. They have a one week program in the physical therapy dept. to do the retraining. I am trying to get in sooner than my appointment in two months.

Any additional thoughts you have are appreciated. I will check the prior discussions as well.
Thank you!!

jillylin responded:
This is something my physiotherapist has been talking about. That our senses end up going into hyperdrive so we hurt when things normally wouldn't. I was reading an article recently about researchers looking for a way to switch off this response but I think we may well be waiting for a long time for them to find the answers.

Old1now replied to goredbirdsgo's response:
What did they mean by a dysfunctional habitat? Possibly you meant habit but I still don't understand. How are muscle spasms a habit? In what way will cognitive behavioral therapy help? Surely relaxation techniques are helpful but I'm not sure I understand what you are describing. I had an excellent physical Therapist who had worked with FM before and who helped me begin stretching exercises, water exercise and helped me regain some endurance. Is there more I should know about?

Old1now replied to Mark Pellegrino, MD's response:
Thank you for your response to goredbirdsgo. I'm wondering if the mechanism of pain is the same as complex regional pain syndrome?

goredbirdsgo replied to Old1now's response:
Sorry yes that was a typo I meant habit. Don't panic though my spasms began when I was going through Cymbalta w/drawl. Its somewhat hard for me to understand but as near as I can tell my doctors belived the spasms was a result of Cymbalta. However now I have been off the Cymbalta long enough that it is no longer in my system but I'm still having the spasms. I can't control the spasms (in my legs, sometimes arms) no matter how hard I try. I've tried not thinking about it too, distracting myself but that also doesn't work. I went to Mayo Clinic and basically they believe the Cymbalta triggered a habit response. So my brain has gotten into this vicious cycle w/the spasms & it cant stop. They said that I need to the Best Program at Mayo where they help people like me break this habit for good. After that I will need some training for my brain too. Its the same thing as the usual physical therapy exercises. Hope that answers your questions.

Old1now replied to goredbirdsgo's response:
I'll be interested in seeing how things go for you. I hope the spasms are relieved. Keep in touch Mary

Mark Pellegrino, MD replied to goredbirdsgo's response:
Hi goredbirdsgo,

Sorry to hear of your issue with spasms. With my patients, I try to determine if the spasms are due to a peripheral cause (ie muscle tightness/spasms, mechanical imbalances, vitamin/mineral imbalances) or if they are due to a central cause (ie spasticity/movement disorder from brain or spinal cord neuroendocrine dysfunctions)

It sounds like your doctors feel a central cause is responsible, and biofeedback would be a form of treatment directed at the brain. Specifically, cognitive biofeedback tries to retrain the brain using specific brainwaves that create "good" responses and phase out the "bad" responses.

People with fibro report muscle spasms as a major complaint and there are numerous factors that can trigger increased spasms. Sometimes medicines are responsible. Biofeedback therapy has been helpful for many with fibro, so hopefully you will see some good results.

Make sure you discuss with your treating doctors the specific treatment goals and have your questions answered since the better educated you are about your conditiona and treatments, the better the chance for success with the treatment.

Good luck!

Dr. P

goredbirdsgo replied to Old1now's response:
Thank you I appreciate it!

goredbirdsgo replied to Mark Pellegrino, MD's response:
Thank you very much for responding! I believe my doctors think the bad reaction I had to Cymbalta started the spasms. I'll be sure to bring up the things you mentioned. Thanks again!

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
473 of 548 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.