Skip to content
Share Your Pets
Caprice_WebMD_Staff posted:
We've talked about this before but I never tire of hearing about your pets, past and present. Our pets bring so much into our lives and I've known many people who are isolated due to various health conditions who stay connected and consoled by the love of their pets.

I don't currently have a pet due to allergies but have, in the past, found great comfort in a dog or a cat, even if those pets belonged to friends or my kids. And I always thought I was a 'dog person' until my son got a cat and, well, cats can make me laugh so much because they try so hard to be dignified and almost always fail miserably. Of course, dogs are such loving dorks that they make me laugh too. And laughter really is the best medicine.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. ~Joseph Campbell

greenwitch68 responded:
Hi Caprice-
I have two big dorky dogs, and I'd be lost without them.
Kano is my 14 year old Pit/Boxer. He is the most loyal and kindest dog I've ever had. He was a rescue pup, got him at the age of 4 months, and it took a lot of hard work and patience but the reward of having such a stellar animal has been worth it.

Lucius is my 4 year old black lab. We adopted him when I was living in Florida. He was 7 moths old and another handful. With lots of treats and love he too is now an awesome dog. Very different from Kano. Silly, and extremely loving and affectionate. He thinks he is a lap dog. A 135 pound lap dog!
Super smart but real quirky. The only lab who isn't fond of water. Loves raw potatoes. Afraid of tape. An expert fly catcher.

I've been real lucky too because both of them are great with my granddaughter. They are her buddies.

And they seem to know when my fibro is acting up, becoming calmer and more careful (especially hyper Lou) not to bump off me or be underfoot.
They are great listeners when everyone else has grown tired of my complaining and know matter what always happy to see me.
They are my little "sprites" bringing endless joy and love.

Kath G

Teelady1 responded:
I've always been a cat person. My parents had cats before they had children.

Tight now, I have a lovely cat named Holly. I adopted her last December after her previous owner died and she needed a home. Holly will be 5 years old in August. She's named Holly because I got her around Christmas time. Previous owner just called her Kitty.

She is a cutie! Loves to play with toys. Her favorite toy right now is that ring from the milk jug cap. That little plastic ring is so much fun to bat and chase around the house.

At night Holly will sleep in my bed at the foot of the bed. I can't tell you how many times I wake up to find toys in my bed! Holly carries them up the stairs and plays with them in the bedroom or in the bed. I guess she wants to play - but wants to be near me at the same time. Such a cutie!

And yes, Caprice, she makes me laugh and smile all the time! A real blessing!

Anon_10089 replied to Teelady1's response:
I have an almost 2 year old Boston Terrier. He has brought a lot of joy to my and my husband's life. He, like most Boston Terriers, is goofy, cuddly, and very loving.

I'd recommend having a pet to anyone with FM. It's a great way to get moving and have a routine at least a little every day and animals never seem to be negative or unaccepting.

missshortyd replied to Anon_10089's response:
I have a fat cocker that is very good at stealing treats lol His name is midnight .I've had him for 5 years and I have only heard him bark twice. His favorite thing to do is sleep and chase my cat : )

debrabrooks1960 responded:
I have two dogs and two cats! I have a black and white cocker spaniel that is a momma,s girl! I am diabetic and she will wake me up if my blood surger drops too low. She will scratch my shoulder and cry until I get up. She never had any training to do this. She has truly saved my life! I also have a black lab. She has such a gentle soul. She loves to bury food in my brothers bed. Especially after she has chewed on the foot and has gotten the food all wet and mushy! He can't get too mad at her because she will wag her tag and look so happy to share her food with him! I have two tabby cats. They are so lovable. They adopted us. We found these two kittens only about 4 weeks oid on our front porch. They are seven years old now. I am always loved in my home!
Your not over the hill until you are under the hill.

Randm2220 responded:
Caprice,

What a great discussion! People love their pets.

We currently have a cat who is 10 years old. She is very loving and still loves to snuggle. She is over weight and it is funny to be downstairs and hear her walk down the hall up stairs.

We also have a small dog. He is a terrier/schitzu mix. He is my child! Since my kids are out of the house he is spoiled rotten! He is very protective and always knows when I don't feel good. I don't know what I would do without him. I just love it when he wants to snuggle.

We have always had pets. For as long as I can remember. My favorite dog was a lab/chow mix we had when my kids were very young. She would "babysit" our kids when they played in the backyard. If our kids went outside the set boundaries we had, she would bark to let us know! We never had to worry about kids when she was on duty. My favorite cat was a Siamese that I inherited from my husbands grandmother. She was a sweet thing! Both of these pets passed from old age.

Most unusual pet was a white rabbit we had. She always got out of her pen so her name was Houdini. We finally gave up keeping her in the pen. She built a home under the dog house of the mentioned lab. They both shared the dog pen. Lab protected her. Funny relationship.

Again, thanks for the discussion! I love to read about other peoples pets too! They make such a difference in people's lives.

Kim

hippiechick1172 responded:
I love reading about the joy pets bring everyone. Our 16yr old tabby cat passed away last month. But back in Dec. we adopted a 5yr old Persian cat, Roxie. She does bring me a lot of joy! She loves me unconditionally and when I can't do anything else but rest...she is there with me:) When we get up in the morning and I am moving slow....she encourages me with a "meow" all the way down the hall. thank goodness for our pets!

booch007 responded:
You have all been there for two cats passing in my life . I am a cat person. Guess as Mom had a siamese/balinese breedery when we were growing up, it gave me the love of these animals.

Last rescue cat was Sela (seela) she was named Cecilia in the shelter. My first female and she was said to never be a lap cat. Well any animal who is given unconditional love will become open and what ever it needs to be. Sela is a lap cat, but I have her to the sides of my legs as she is a bit heavy for the legs to take. Follows me everywhere. Verbalin the a.m. with ALOT more meow then I would like to hear, but she is a good hunter.

My joy is brushing her and rubbing her beely. Soft fur is comforting. I was just offfered a second, but I cannot see the sharing in the house. One is enough.

I will always go to the shelter and release one from a caged life. A celebrationof freedom for both of us. I am very active with our shelter, they do such good work.

That's my story...........Nancy B

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
Well, as I said, I do love hearing about all your pets and how much they mean to each of you.

Keep 'em coming.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. ~Joseph Campbell

thenikki64 responded:
I have five dogs and three cats. The dogs range from 4 lbs to 40 lbs, and the cats range from 2 yrs to 16 yrs. There is no doubt some days the ONLY reason I get up is to take care of my furkids. They bring me peace and joy and aggravation some times! I cannot imagine life without them, although even I agree I have a few too many. Thankfully since I am a veterinarian, I get their medications and healthcare at a greatly reduced price:)

Pam in Savannah

mnjeepguy responded:
Animals seem to like me.
We started with a half Siamese male cat who was realy clung to me and chatted all the time. We had to put him down at 15. It's a long story but now we have a 13 year old Beagle who sleeps all day and all night, a 7 year old Basset male who is the best dog I ever had, and his sidekick a female Basset we found at the shelter. She adores me, almost too much. She is shy and very loving. They all follow me like a shadow.

We also have a huge orange male cat who is very chatty, a beautiful gray and black female with racing stripes down her back, swirls on the sides, and spots on her belly. She is a little snobby but sleeps with us every night. And the latest is my sons female half Siamese female. She is the nicest cat I have met.

We also have a ferrel cat I tamed enough to be friends with so I feed him every afternoon. I tried bringing him to the shelter so they had me pick him up and put him back here in my neighbrhood. I can pick him up but the folks at the shelter were afraid of him. I call him Gypsey. He is all black except a white atch on his chest and searing green eyes.

They are all great but man, we gotta be on the vaccum every day.

xperky responded:
My three kitties are wonderful companions. They each have their personalities and quirks which I adore.

I too am the happy reciever of toy "gifts." They bring them to the bed/bedroom at night, the family room when we are there, and the hall when we are away. You can hear them meowing on the way, with a mouth full of stuffed mouse, and it's so cute.

Their new fascination is a 3-foot wire toy with rabbit fur fly-tied on the end. We have stuck the handle in a basket so it hangs and bobs around for attacking. I think they are getting a good workout with that thing.

Unconditional love...what could be better?
With Compassion,
Margaret

Helpful Tips

For All our new members
Welcome all new members, I want you to understand how important it is to be o.k. with coming here to lift your spirits and release ... More
Was this Helpful?
376 of 403 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.