Skip to content
Sleeping issues
slovene54 posted:
I was recently diagnosed with fibro so still trying to get a handle on things. Right now I don't sleep good. Wake up several times thru night and trouble falling asleep. Dr wants me on sleeping pills but with a toddler at home by myself it makes me nervous to take them. Anything that helps you?

dollbug responded:
Hello and welcome....MiMi in NC....getting enough sleep is so very important for us FMers.....have you tried taking a hot shower at night using lavender bath salts in a stopped up drain....this is what really helps my body to relax so that I can sleep better....do this right before going to sleep, if possible....

I know when I first got sick I have problems also with sleep...living with the wrath of the dragon continues a vicious cycle for us....it is hard to figure out just what we need....but I am sure you will figure this out soon...

Be sure and check out the info here under "tips" and "resources" that you will find to the right of this page...I am sure you will find some good tools to try...

Perhaps trying a mattress topper...which helps some of the FMers here...

Take care and good luck..

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

My personal exchanges are Vitamin D and Pain and Wrath of the Dragon....if you care to visit..

booch007 responded:
Try the Melatonin, a suppleent that is the natural occuring substance that raises in your body at night to sleep.

Turn lights down lower by 2 hours before sleep and don't watch things that "get you going". Warm milk adds trytophan another natural help...like with the kids...warm milk before bed.

I can understand the need to be clear with kids in the house and you never know what you need to do.

I slept very poorly due to tossing around from the trigger point zones bothering me, festered a sensation that made me turn off them over and over again. (Like having our pressure exam).

The Fmily here told me of the memory foam topper for the mattress and it was heaven from the start. Got it on sale and with a coupon at Kohl's. Last one now I got on sale at Overstock.com.

Keeping your eyes out for a buy and deal. But it helped so much.

If it is life's isssues that are running around in your head before sleep you have to learn to focus in...turn off those things. Get focused on something soft and pleasurable to have your mind quiet down......and visualization good for you will help.

But the Melatonin may also be a good thing. Check it out.

Good luck, it is tough to lose sleep so much..Nancy B

Ladyteguesian responded:
I have found the thing that works the best for me is Sleep Max. A bottle of 30 is $5.99 and can be found at Walgreens. They are all natural with Valerian Root, Passion Flower, Calcium Carbonate, Magnesium Oxide, Chamomile and Melatonin. Another all natural sleep aid is Alteril, although it's double the price of Sleep Max.. Hope you sleep well.

Teelady1 responded:
You've already received some great suggestions - but I will add .....

Yes, to a memory foam mattress topper - and I now have a memory foam pillow, which I love!

At Bath and Body Works in the Aromatherapy section, there is a Sleep body lotion and pillow mist that I use. Lavender and Chamomile. I will rub the lotion on my hands and arms and breathe in the scent. I spray the mist on the lampshade of the lamp near my bed (too strong on the pillow for me). I find the scent to have a calming and relaxing scent.

I use my iPod touch as my alarm - so it's near my bed. When I wake up during the night and can't get back to sleep. I'll play soothing music. (I'll use the timer on the iPod so it turns off after a period of time). I love the album "Native American Flute for Sleeping" by Lullaby Tribe & Jessita Reyes. I find the flute music very relaxing and there are nature sounds, too. I believe I downloaded the album from Amazon.com - or iTunes.

Last night I didn't sleep well - and woke up often. The music helped me get back to sleep a couple of times.

Hope this helps.

lb707 responded:
Good responses so far,

Something that helps me is practicing relaxation through the day. I have had to learn how to calm my racing mind that is often out of control. Our brains have become rewired by pain so I have made it a goal to help rewire it by intentionally taking time to calm it down and shut it off.

If I do this through the day it helps me relax better in bed. I focus on tight sore spots and encourage them to relax. It does not take away the need for some help with RX or herbs for sleep but it has kept me off sleeping pills as they scare me.

laurab

slovene54 responded:
Thank you all so much for the great advice!! Going to try mattress topper and forgot about lavender!! I love this group!! I felt so lost until I joined. I get so many good resources!! Thanks to everyone!!

Helpful Tips

Living Well with Fibromyalgia
Greetings! I have learned patience and a positive attitude is key to my pain management. I developed Fibromyalgia after a hysterectomy in ... More
Was this Helpful?
194 of 211 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.