Skip to content
Starting to understand FM a little better
slovene54 posted:
It's still so new to me but I am starting to recognize and aknowledge good days to bad days. Todays not a good day. lots of muscle pain. I'm trying to keep a journal to see if I can get a better handle on it. I wish I had a choice of staying home and resting on my bad days. It's hard to get through life with FM. Working full time, taking care of a toddler at night and weekends and housework. I don't sleep good. I'm hoping with more knowledge I will be able to get a handle on all of it. Just needed to vent a little. Thanks for reading!

Randm2220 responded:
Slovene,

I know how hard it is to work and battle the beast. I did it for a long time. I am now "retired" because of it. Only been 2 months of not working. It is nice when you are having a bad day to indulge it. Yesterday was bad for me too. I hope you feel better soon!

dollbug responded:
Hello slovene and welcome.....MiMi in NC...sorry that you are dealing with so much right now...things will get better though....as you learn more about the wrath of the dragon, aka FM....be sure and check out the info under *tips" and "resources" that you will find to the right of this page...there are no quick fixes....NONE that I am aware of....it does take a trial and error process to figure out just what your body needs to cope better...

A person should allow at least 6-8 weeks of whatever they decide to try also....unless, of course, you are getting sicker than you were....

I am one of the FMers here who has learned how to *control my FM pain* by taking vitamins and supplements and doing other things as well...it took me a long time to get it all together...I am NOT PAINFREE...so please understand...but I have learned all sorts of *things* that I can do that helps...

Sleep is so important....please work on this as getting enough sleep can make a BIG difference in the way you feel....

I would like to encourage you to be sure and ask your doctor to check your Vitamin D level....this is so important for a lot of people these days....low Vitamin D can cause additional pain for some people and it can also affect other illnesses as well....it is a simple blood test...BUT you MUST ASK the doctor to check it...

Learning how to pace, pace and then pace even more is also important...and this applies to anything and everything that you do...drinking plenty of water every day is also good....(water)...using a heating pad as needed...and stopain spray as needed (you can find this at walmart-it is good stuff)..taking a hot shower at night using lavender bath salts in a stopped up drain is something that helps me relax so that I can sleep better...and IF you are too tired or hurting too much to shower....soak your feet in hot water with the lavender bath salts....it works for me...

Eating right and doing gentle exercises and stretches also help....(gentle being the key word here)...

Have you tried a foam mattress pad? This might also be worth a try....I have to sleep in a recliner...as I have major problems lying flat...I have been doing this since 2005...

OK...so I have provided a few good *tools and tips* for you....remember though that what works for one...may or may not work for you...

Hang in here with us....I am sure that soon you will also find some good tools and tips that will help you cope better....

Take care and good luck...

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

My personal exchanges are Vitamin D and Pain and Wrath of the Dragon....if you care to visit..

Littlefox77 replied to dollbug's response:
Hi Mimi,
Hope that you are doing well today. I don't come on very much as I can't sit for long at the computer, but I wanted to say hi.
I have a mattress pad and a big bedbuddy pillow, it helps me.
Have a great day.
with love Michele

Bellagirl31 responded:
It is the recognition of the good and bad days that are key when you approach your doctor as far as your treatment. Everyone that has FM has different symptoms that worse than others. It took me a long time to even accept the disease and learn to work with it in my life and not against it. Sleep is key, although I too am not a sleeper, I have learned little things that will allow me to be more comfortable so that I can. Even if it is a few hours a night. Ask your doctor about giving you something that will help you relax not knock you out. I have a tendency to twitch and get sore so that I cannot get comfortable or stay asleep long without waking myself up. I choose the more natural way of doing things. I drink an organic chamomile tea with honey and natural vanilla each night. I also make sure regardless if I am in pain to find some way to keep moving right before I lay down to make sure I don't get stiff. It helps quite a bit, although when your in pain you have to push through.

Your knowledge is going to come from asking questions, experience, and not being afraid to reach out and vent. We all have been there. My flare ups have put my mother in tears watching me but with each one I am better to deal with the next. The journal is a great idea. Keep it with you at all times. Monitor what you eat, drink, everything. Diet is key as well. Slovene54 I wish you all the best and anytime vent away.

Liz

Helpful Tips

For All our new members
Welcome all new members, I want you to understand how important it is to be o.k. with coming here to lift your spirits and release ... More
Was this Helpful?
370 of 397 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.