Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
pain in fingers
Anon_63744 posted:
Does anyone else have joint pain in there fingers and toes. Also have crampin in my toes and pain in the bottom of my feet.Is this all typical of FM?If so any recommendations.
FirstPrevious12NextLast

Missmouse10 responded:
It is typical for me to have pain in my hands and feet ,I haven't found anything to help yet

xperky responded:
Do you have swollen, red joints? If so, you should get checked for arthritis. FM can cause pain anywhere though!

Have you tried applying salonpas patches to your fingers? I find the small ones wrap around nicely. I might also put them on the bottom of my feet and cover with a sock over night.

I also like roll-on Icy Hot for my feet.
With Compassion,
Margaret

thenikki64 responded:
My wrists and fingers can sometimes be very painful. I have not tried the salonpas wraps, so I'll have to give that a try. My thumb joints are particularly painful, and lately I've had pinkie pain, too. My feet luckily don't bother me much. Perhaps warm soaks for the feet? Take care!
Pam in Savannah

Randm2220 responded:
Anon,

All the time! Sometimes it feels like I am walking on glass! And my hands hurt from the wrists down.

booch007 responded:
Two things that helped me...

For the feet I had developed crystals in there (found on a foot massage) HYDRATION alot of HYDRATION of water...and massage /breaking up those crystals took away the feeling of walking on glass. MAN IT WAS PAINFUL. It took me a years to fully cure it. My Sister found it and explained it all to me. It was a FIX...they are gone now and I think it was the hydration that helped clear them..

The hands were my first symptom I had. It is amazing the stupid things I was told was the cause. I am a nurse and these were learned doctors.....BUT. The bottom line, when I told my neurologist who cares for me...she knew right away the muscles in the arm pit area both the front and the back were congested and squeezing the nerves to my hands.

The entrapment created the swelling sensation and rings tight...the nubness and stiffness and pain. Once awake I could shake it off, but the lack of gravity at night or taking a nap and laying down those muscle would act up again.

I get them injected by her, but you can massage them and work it out yourself. Just takes longer.

In the book I use. FM and Chronic Myofascial Pain by Dr Devin Starlanyl...(a survival manual) it is clear in there. Great 19.99 book. So easy to understand cause and effect and what to do.

Hope this was helpful. This is how I survive this mess we are all in..........Good luck, I have to say the feet B I G in the annoying category.

Hoping you do not have diabetes...if you do then this maybe neuropathy of your end nerves....bring it to the doctors attention, there is medication for it. First though if it is just the FM, try the books tricks to fix it. Good Luck, Nancy B

allibell replied to Randm2220's response:
Thanks thats what it feels like. The orthoprdic Dr. said I have plantar fasciitis in both feet. Nothing I have tried helps.Different shoes ,exercisees , nothing!!!!!!!Cant enjoy going anywhere because cant find any shoes that don;t hurt.!!!

An_245824 replied to thenikki64's response:
I also get pain in my wrists and thumb joints , they ache all the time. Ive tried the warm soak for my feet and also asppercreme, nothing takes the pain away there.

An_245824 responded:
I have foot cramps alot and my left foot has been constant for a couple weeks on the top, so I limp and this makes for more pain up the leg. MY left leg aches constantly from the knee on down anyways.

xperky replied to allibell's response:
Plantar fasciitis might respond well to a cortisone injection. I feel for you. I had it years ago, and it hurt tons. The ortho gave me stretches for the foot, which I did daily, and the injection. A few months later the pain was gone! I try to stretch my feet before stepping on them, after sleeping or sitting for long, and that helps prevent reinjuring the tendons.
With Compassion,
Margaret

Roxxxy56 responded:
Hasnt been here for awhile but I too have pain in my feet on top and spasms alot in my feet. My hands I get them in the fleshy part by the thumb and its very hurtful. I also get pain on the top of my hands too. Im seeing a new doctor on tuesday and hopefully she will give me something to calm things down. The fibromyalgie is ongoing with no letup and theres days where Im so fed up, alot of days I cry. Ive had fibro for 51/2 years now from a fall. I could go on and on about all my pains but it would be easier to type what doesnt hurt compared to what does. MY tops of my hands started like a month ago. Just when I think Ive got all of the fibro pain there is, one more area starts hurting on my body. Roxanne

thenikki64 replied to Roxxxy56's response:
Roxanne, I sure hope the new doctor can find something that gives you some relief! Even a little improvement can make a big change in outlook. I see a rheumatologist on Tuesday (I finally had an MRI of my right hand which had severe pain and joint swelling. MRI showed erosions in my joints consistent with RA even though ALL my blood tests are negative) and am hopeful he will find a solution for some of my hand pain. Keep us posted, and keep trying to find relief. Don't ever give up! There is something, somewhere, out there than can help:) Take care!
Pam in Savannah

Roxxxy56 replied to thenikki64's response:
Hello TheNikki, I saw the doctor today and she put me on ultram, I was started on 50 mgs but she told me I could take 100 mgs at a time so I do.. All the pain isnt gone but I feel the difference. So I now take neurontin 2700 mgs. a day effexor 225 mgs a day for depression amongst other drugs not having to do with fibro. One thing I have noticed is I have the sweats which is a side effect, but hopefully it will go away in a few days. Time will tell on this one. I go back in a month but she believes fibro exists. My last doctor didnt. I hope to hear from you again!!! Roxanne in kalamazoo, mi.

thenikki64 replied to Roxxxy56's response:
Roxanne, That is great! Ultram/tramadol does not do much for me, but we are all different, so I am thrilled it is working for you.

The rheumatologist I saw started me on Plaquenil, a drug to control the rheumatoid arthritis. Mine is pretty mild right now, so this is all we will do until my symptoms progress. I hope you keep feeling better!
Pam

xperky replied to thenikki64's response:
Pam - that is pretty quick treatment for your RA. I guess the mri really solved the riddle of your hand pain. I hope the Plaquenil goes well for you. Keep us posted on how you feel on it. I'm hoping that treating your RA will also improve your FM symptoms for you. Sorry you are dealing with both illnesses.
With Compassion,
Margaret

Helpful Tips

Living Well with Fibromyalgia
Greetings! I have learned patience and a positive attitude is key to my pain management. I developed Fibromyalgia after a hysterectomy in ... More
Was this Helpful?
191 of 208 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.