Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
I'm new here
Missmouse10 posted:
I have had fm for a really long time but in the last 6 years it has gotten worse, I am to the point of some days not being able to get out of bed at nite or in the morni gwithout help has anyone here had it that bad. Sometimes I want to just give up.

painfullyexhausted responded:
Sorry you're having a difficult time. I think we've all been in your shoes at one time or another so we can honestly say we understand. I don't know what meds, if any, that you're taking but maybe you need to switch things up. I can't tell you how many times I've had to change dosages or meds, of course with my doctor's help, over the years. Sometimes you just need to stay in bed but I have found if I make myself get up, as hard as it is (in tears most of the time) it does get me thru the flare a little faster. I don't push too hard and start cleaning or working out or anything too crazy because I know I'll pay dearly for days to come but just get up and move. Even if its for a few minutes several times a day it truly helps.

I'm not going to lie, this is painful both mentally and physically and it took me a long time (yrs) to convince myself to do it. It's so depressing to feel the way you do right now and that is not a good thing to add on top of already feeling like you can't go thru this one more day. I still have days that I stay in bed half the day because I don't want to face the pain and exhaustion but in the end I make myself get up and at least do one thing such as put dishes away, put a load of laundry in, then I will lay down for a bit then get up again.

I know this is the last thing you want to do but give it a try. If we lay around and not accomplish simple tasks then we feel worthless. I'm not saying your lazy or anything even close to that and again I know how you feel, but do this for yourself. You're not going to instantly feel fabulous, it's a work in progress and always will be but try it.

When somebody said the same thing to me I was angry because I felt like they didn't understand how I felt and it took me a while to try it but I'm so glad I gave in. So you have exhaustion, chronic pain, feeling worthless and add depression on top and you're a hot mess right ? Absolutely !! I finally asked my doctor for an antidepressant because I didn't want to live one more day feeling this way, I too was at my wits end and didn't want to deal with this anymore. It took about 3 wks of taking the new med before I felt like I was going to make it. I'm so happy that I went this route, I feel better about myself, my life, and can handle things better. I'm not by any means pain free, I still have sleep issues, I still have bad days but mentally I'm doing so much better and feel like I'm able to handle "the dragon" better. To me, this is a huge step in the right direction. We never get rid of FM but we can learn to handle it to the best of our ability. That's all we can do.

I hope that this is helpful information, I truly know what you're going thru and feel for you. Please consider asking for an antidepressant, it doesn't mean you're weak or crazy. It means you want to enjoy your life as much as possible while dealing with a chronic illness. There's nothing wrong with that. Best of luck

Missmouse10 replied to painfullyexhausted's response:
I am on antidepressants. And it helps a lot more then when I don't take it. I was finally diagnost with fm 20 years ago and of course that comes with irritable bowl and chronic fatigue syndrome , it all sucks family don't understand . I do make myself get up and do things a little at a time like load the dishes then rest then go do clothes then rest ect, I fou.nd that is the best way to do it, I can't ever do it all at once or I am sick in bed for days , glad I found a group who knows what I'm going through , so many think it is just in your head or that you are lazy they just don't get it,

booch007 replied to painfullyexhausted's response:
Painful,

YOU wrote a great response, I wish we had a LIKE buttton to just share our thoughts with someone.........

It is so true that we have all I think gotten that low. I have a rule. TWO days down in the bed, couch, fetal position...then UP and OUT. I have to get out of the house and look at life, distract my brain from the low.

I often make lists of projects to do. NOT that I can do some of them...but it gets me going. My new distraction is the Mah Jong game on the iPad APP. It has this great music of meditation going while I match up the tiles.....(I win) and I try to zone at the same time. It is fun and NO IMPACT on my body.

My things to do in a low is the craft store and look at the flowers and colors (that is a pain med that is natural)..go to a good will store (like a garage sale) and find a great thing for 2.99!

I make sure to PUT MAKE UP ON and get dressed to bring me out of P.J.'s...this is a work in progress to fight the dragon. You cannot laydown and let him consume you. You actually hurt more just laying around. Your body is made to move and if you stay in a position for too long you get "contracted" (in the hospital this is REAL TROUBLE FOR US). Exercising a pt was a priority in the ICU....foot drop or leg/arm contracture is a major isssue.

SO, you must move and not crazy, but break the pattern...move blood around in your body, drink water to flush and breathe deep to get circulation going.

It is hard work, but you can do it.....we have all broken the cycle at some point! Don't give in, I was so close to checking out at one point. I just switched on the GET MAD/ NOT SAD button and moved forward.......also I had a grandchild and it showed me I had work to do and had to be here!

Hugs and hugs from me, we understand so well what you are saying......hope you hear us as well...............NancyB

Missmouse10 replied to booch007's response:
Thanks nancy much appreciated

Helpful Tips

Living Well with Fibromyalgia
Greetings! I have learned patience and a positive attitude is key to my pain management. I developed Fibromyalgia after a hysterectomy in ... More
Was this Helpful?
179 of 196 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.