Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
FM plus Cancer
crazydoxymama posted:
Hi,

I've been away from the line for a while due to a lot of doctors appointments that I have had to go on. I have had FM for the last 35 years and in the middle May, I found out that I have breast cancer too. My concern is whether the Tamoxifen I am taking for the cancer is going to interfere with the effectiveness of the Effexor and Lyrica I am taking for the FM.

I am already having some chest tightness and I'm not sure but I think this is a response to the Tamoxifen. I will be having the surgery that is needed on the 28th of this month and then I will be having several weeks of radiation. Anyone who has an extra space left on their prayer list, feel free to add me. My name is Bonnie and I intend to beat this thing but I am a little afraid.

You might add a few words in that prayer for strength. The FM weakness is being pumped up by the cancer medication.

If anyone has experience with this medication and it's effects on FM, please let me know.

Thank you all.
FirstPrevious12NextLast

xperky responded:
Bonnie - you will be in my thoughts, for sure.

I took Tamoxifen after surgery and radiation for DCIS grade 0 in 2000. I tolerated it for two years, but had some side effects and stopped. At the time I did not have FM, or it was mild if so. Tamoxifen caused IBS for me, and malaise.

Be aware that radiation treatments cause fatigue, so you may have to lay low and not push while going through that with FM on top of it. Try to enlist the family and friends to help with errands, housework and cooking, etc during your treatments.

I hope all goes well for you. I'm proud to be an 11-year survivor, and hope you will be a happy survivor too!

Let us hold your hand through this. Tell us your fears, you know we will be understanding.
With Compassion,
Margaret

Anon_408 responded:
Bonnie, I will definitely incude you in my prayers. With the added concerns with the cancer, the FM will more than likely have increase of symptoms also.

First and most important, share you concerns about FM meds interfering with cancer meds and or radiation, please do not hesitate to talk to your Dr. or his nursing staff with questions and usually your pharmacist will know about reactions to meds with each other.

And always remember, any new or questionable questions or symptoms that may occur, no matter how small or big, should be asked with your Dr.

I'm not sure if you have gone to the WebMD cancer support community, but I'm including the link here for you also. They would be an excellent support or source for information with questions.

Come back when you can, with questions, venting, tears, letting us know how you are doing, even just to say hi.
You are added to my Prayer list, and I always have hope and Prayers for a cure for cancer.

Soft (((hugs)) to you.

http://exchanges.webmd.com/breast-cancer-exchange

booch007 responded:
Oh man...Good morning,

To my knowledge there is no interaction with those meds. And there is an excellent cure rate to early breats cancer...and I am thinking that is where you are.

Doing a lumpectomy?

I am an agressive person, the MD's know that if I am positive at some point I am having a bilateral mastectomy (which is a cure) no radiation.....and maybe a rebuild from the abdomen being brought up....or the side of the cback brought around. Those are the two techniques being used.

See howe I am, always planning and have a list or two. I hate having the legs taken out from underneath me.

BUT again, the success rate is high here. I will ad you to my spiritual prayer list to have God watch over you and cover you in love during this time! NancyB

crazydoxymama replied to booch007's response:
Theank you NancyB,

Yes, there is a high cure rate and I have always said that if I had breast cancer I would do a double mastectomy so problem solved. I've found that when you accept the "C" word as actually referring to you, even when you are in your 60's, things feel a little different.

At this point, yes, a lumpectomy. Tomorrow or next week I might feel differently.

Thank you so much for the prayers. I truly appreciate the good and positive thoughts for me.

My crazy doxy, Peanut, and I thank you all.

Bonnie

debrabrooks1960 responded:
Dear Bonnie,
You are in my prayers. I have never been what you are going though. I just wanted to let you know you will be in my prayers.

Debbie
Your not over the hill until you are under the hill.

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Bonnie,

I don't have anything to add but did just want to say my thoughts are with you in your battle towards better health. I hope you'll keep us updated. (((softhugs)))
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. ~Joseph Campbell

jillylin responded:
I am really sorry to hear this and I sure can spare prayers for you. I will also write your name in a few healing books too.
Jilly in the UK

Mark Pellegrino, MD responded:
Hi Bonnie,

My thoughts and prayers are with you. I've not seen any adverse interactions between the Tamoxifen, Effexor, and Lyrica in my patients. There's always a potential for interactions between different meds, but I'm not aware of any increased risks of interactions among these meds.

Hopefully your cancer is cured and your fibro behaves.

Dr. P

crazydoxymama replied to xperky's response:
Dear xperky:

Thank you so much for the kind words and a heads up on a couple of things I might expect.

Eleven years from now I believe I will be in your shoes now!

Thank you so much,
Bonnie

crazydoxymama replied to Anon_408's response:
Dear Anon,

Thank for the encouraging words and for a "mental thump on the head" about the breast cancer link. I'm afraid I'm still a little surprised that breast cancer applies to me.

Bless you for your prayers,
Bonnie

crazydoxymama replied to booch007's response:
Dear Nancy,

Thank you so much for your prayers. Yes, I am having a lumpectomy and I praise the Lord that if I had to have Cancer, this is the one I have to deal with.

I believe that we are given certain hurdles throughout our lives that we have to get over so that we may attain abundant knowledge and understanding.

I am a list maker too and between the FM and this I am beginning to think that taking each day as it comes without any expectations is the way to go. I was the one who could stop on a dime and do a 180 with no problem. Life has a way of changing your plans with a big ol' thump sometime.

Thank you and I am so grateful for your precious prayers.
Bonnie

crazydoxymama replied to debrabrooks1960's response:
Dear Debbie,

Thank you so much for your prayers and the quote is very appropriate.

Bonnie

crazydoxymama replied to Caprice_WebMD_Staff's response:
Thank you, Caprice.

crazydoxymama replied to jillylin's response:
Dear Jilly,

Just to know that my request for prayers has reached the UK is mind-boggling! I'm still not used to thinking about my comments actually traveling world-wide.

Bless you for your precious response. I am going into this with so many wonderful people putting prayers out there for me. I will come through this, I believe, on the wings of a lot of special "angels" out there and I count you as one of them.

Bonnie

Helpful Tips

Living Well with Fibromyalgia
Greetings! I have learned patience and a positive attitude is key to my pain management. I developed Fibromyalgia after a hysterectomy in ... More
Was this Helpful?
188 of 205 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.