Skip to content
Knee pain and knee locking so that I can not walk
debrabrooks1960 posted:
Since I got diagnoised with FM, my right knee will lock up on me so that I can not straighten my leg or put weight on my foot with out having extreme pain. I have this sometimes 2 - 3 times a day. Sometimes the pain will only last a minute or two, but other days it will last for 3 days or more. I have to use a walker to walk and then I can only put weight on my toes to walk. My RA doctor did an ultrasound and said it showed nothing but a little swelling. I am now on day 4 of nof not being able to walk. I hate going back to the doctor for him to tell me nothing is wrong. I had to miss work today because I have to walk 1/4 of mile to get to my office. I am at my wits end. I can not even leave my mobile home because I can not get down the steps, I have also been diagnosed with gout. Has anyone heard of this condition? Thanks for being here for me to ask questions.

Debbie
Your not over the hill until you are under the hill.

georgia888 responded:
Hi Debbie,
There is a special diet to follow for gout. Please research this online.

Is it feasible for you to find a gym with a warm water pool? This has been very therapeutic for both my Fibro & OA.

Biking is also very good for the knees, be it stationary or regular biking.

Best of luck to you!

georgia

debrabrooks1960 replied to georgia888's response:
Dear Georgia, Thanks for replying back to me. I do follow a special gout diet. I did alot of research on WebMD on what I can or can not eat? I also take medication to keep my uric acid level low. I walk every day when my knee lets me. I do try to what is right for my body, it just does not seem to help.

Debbie
Your not over the hill until you are under the hill.

xperky responded:
My goodness, RA, Gout and FM! That's a lot of painful conditions. Did your RA doc check your blood to see that your RA is being controlled? Could he possibly give you a cortisone injection to get you walking again? Please call his office and tell them you missed work and need some quick remedy!

I know RA can attack the knees. Gout usually attacks the feet but they can draw fluid from the joint to test for gout crystals. I guess the next best test, after the ultrasound, would be an MRI.

Did the doc give you any Voltaren Gel to rub on the knee? It helps my feet at night. One time my knee woke me up, so I tried the gel on it, and by the time it was dry the pain was reduced!

Let us know it you find out what is going on. Rest for now.
With Compassion,
Margaret

booch007 responded:
Debbie, go see an orthopedic (sports medicine would be good in that group.)

I don't know your weight but it is an issue to the poor knee. I would brace it to help support the ligaments before seeing him. Don't brace it for too long though as there is work to be done.....something in there has weakened and needs Physical therapy.

You will be amazed at what you learn in body dynamics and the functions of the knee as you go through this path.

This sound like it is acute and should be looked at for ligaments as well as the structure of the knee and Ortho is where you go. Some have "just knee" as there specialty...so ask for that on the phone.

Please don't suffer longer.....

Good luck. Nancy B

Helpful Tips

For All our new members
Welcome all new members, I want you to understand how important it is to be o.k. with coming here to lift your spirits and release ... More
Was this Helpful?
374 of 401 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.