Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Atrial Fibrillation and Fibromyalgia
An_245892 posted:
Hi, I'm new here. I've had fibro for many years, and have a myriad of symptoms to manage. Four years ago, I went into A-fib after a long flare of uncontrolled pain in my sternum/ribcage. I've since had several more episodes, followed by complete cardiac workups (stress tests, echo, holters, etc) which were all normal.

These episodes often happen when the burning and squeezing pain in my respiratory muscles cause my pulse and blood pressure to elevate.

I'm wondering if there has been any proven medical connection to fibro and A-fib? My cardiologist kind of blew this question off.

Brenda

jillylin responded:
Hi,
sorry don't know the answer to your question but just wanted to say welcome. I am sure someone will be able to help as there are so many really knowledgable people here.
Jilly in the UK

booch007 responded:
Good Morning,

I have to say no to this question. ( Not Dr P...but I have a few years in the cardiology business (35) I think that isn't even Dr P's age!)

Atrial fibrillation is an electrical event in the top of the heart. Often when it is a one time only.....you had a palpatation just at the right time in the cardiac cycle to create chaos in the rhythm.

And that is what AF is. Chaos...the chamber is beating at 400-800 beats per minute, the squeeze of the chamber become ineffective....thanks goodness there is a junction box right below to slow down things and let only a few impulses through or you will pass out!

Normally the sinus node (a piece of tissue is the boss) he dictates the pace of the heart....60-80 being around normal. Then as God planned it....every cell in the hearts upper chambers or lower chambers have the ability to take over if he gets sick. As in Sick Sinus Syndrome.....where (if you think of a car..) The sinus node putters....fast at one time, slow at another...

Now in saying that. One time episodes from a palpatatin at an early spot in the cardiogram....to start this off.

There is another cause as well.....in the case of a murmur or leaky valve, which blood backs up to the upper chamber and then the chambers get *stretched out*....enlarged and the tissue becomes damaged.

Knowing that each cell is given the power to keep you alive if the sinus becomes ill....NOW THEY ARE DAMAGED by stretching out....so they spark OFTEN.

Not everyone who has palpatations get AF. But those who have a propensity for it. There is a few fixes for this, as it is dangerous to be in and out of it. You need to be on ASA or a blood thinner to prevent stroke.

I can see that in pain heart rate rises and you may have more palpatations with fright and fear....so you are at risk as this happens to you. At a large facility (tertiary hospital they have EP cardiologists...(electrophysiologists that do this following and maping of the electricity of the heart)

If your echo proves normal and no enlarged chambers....maybe a med "in pocket" they call it may be the helper you need....that when in a flare and you feel the palpatations starting you take this med.

We use Beta blockers or Amiodarone for this purpose.

If they find this is happening too much and there are risks to you, they can go in the cath lab and ablate (microwave) the tissue that is the offender in the loop of electricity. They map the area...find the culprit section and rid it from speaking out.
(remember we talked of tissues that can spark, well they find the guy and microwave him quiet. (NOT PAINFUL...)

You are asleep during most of all this.

But remember this is a large teaching facility with an active EP lab I am talking about.

If you smoke or have lung disease you are at risk of having this often and then staying in it as you age. There is nothing wrong with being in AF as long as you 1) tolerate it (B/P, dizzyness,SOB, feel it and are annoyed by it, it doesn't alter the cardia output too much) 2) are protected from stroke from it

OK, in saying this, I hope you are well now and they have you on an ASA if warrented. There is a CHAD score they match you to to figure out your therapy for this protection.

All my best, Nancy B

Mark Pellegrino, MD replied to booch007's response:
Nancy B,

Funny comment about my age. You had the right 2 numbers, wrong order!

Superb response!!

Dr. P

Mark Pellegrino, MD responded:
Hi,

There's no reported relationship between fibro and A-fib. People can have both conditions. People can have thyroid problems, mitral valve prolapse, medicine side effects, viral infections, sleep apnea, and stressors that can be seen with either fibro or A-fib, or both; but no direct relationship exists between having fibro and getting A-fib, or vice-versa.

Dr. P

booch007 replied to Mark Pellegrino, MD's response:
You are 53? Man you look great!

I just saw a Retinal guy for that eye problem I had....."wrinkles back there in the eye....(who woulda thought!)
Once you turn 50 it does all change, no patients have lied to me yet......BTW..great response from you too. I didn't go inot everything that can bring a patient in......thyroid is a big one.

We echo and then bloods......hope there is a fix here for her.

Nancy B

Helpful Tips

For All our new members
Welcome all new members, I want you to understand how important it is to be o.k. with coming here to lift your spirits and release ... More
Was this Helpful?
368 of 395 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.