Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Dr. P *****Brain Core Therapy ***
dollbug posted:
Hello Dr. P....MiMi in NC....I want to pick your brain today....

Would like to know what you think of Brain Core Therapy?

I attended a session tonight where this was explained and I am curious if you have done any research on this....or perhaps you also have this since you treat patients with FM...

I hope this is not something that you have covered before and I have forgotten....

Thanks for all you do here...I hope you are feeling as well as you possibly can..

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

My personal exchanges are Vitamin D and Pain and Wrath of the Dragon....if you care to visit..

Mark Pellegrino, MD responded:
Hello dear MiMi!

No pun intended wanting to pick my brain about Brain Core Therapy?!

I hadn't heard of Brain Core herapy but after I did an online search, it's clear to me that this is cognitive biofeedback, or neurofeedback therapy. This treatment modality have been around for a number of years.

Brain/Cognitive biofeedback therapy has been described as helpful in some with fibro and other conditions such as ADD/ADHC, brain injuries, depression, anxiety, to improve one's fatigue, alertness, and concentration. Brain waves (EEG) are monitored and biofeedback training is done to select out the favorable ones.

I have had mixed results with this type of treatment for my fibro patients. I wish I could figure out who has the best chance of responding to this modality. I hope you have wonderful results if you do decide to try it.

Dr. P

dollbug replied to Mark Pellegrino, MD's response:
Hello Dr. P....You won....as I was just making sure you were *on your toes* when I said I wanted to *pick your brain*....I figured you would get it...and you did.... I guess I thought, maybe just maybe, I would pull one over on you....but I didn't...as you are one smart *cookie*....lol..

Thanks for your input....my information indicates that "it is a form of neurofeedback that allows the nervous system to retrain itself to create new, more appropriate brain wave patterns and break the cycle of NDS".
(known as Neurological Dystregulation Syndrome)....don't quite understand why there are a lot of syndromes that people tend to experience...it seems to be a lot of them to me anyway.

I guess I am not quite sure I understand the process to *retrain the brain*....I did understand the concept of babies not being able to walk and eventually they learn to do so...and that the brain is involved in this process...

A personal assessment was offered to all of us who attended this information class to find out out about this...but I have not yet scheduled mine yet....I wanted to do some research on this first and of course, I wanted to ask you about it as well.

Since there is really nothing used....(as with a tens unit)...I guess this is above my head to understand until I get the assessment done and see (hopefully) just how it works.

I do know though that there is a small unit and glasses that a person wears several months after the therapy is completed and I think it has all sorts of moving colors and lights....(or so I think it is from what I can tell)...This, right by itself, might drive me nutty...

The *unknown is always interesting*...and as you probably already know...I am all about *finding anything which truly works*....

Thanks Dr. P for all that you do here....we really do appreciate you sharing your *medical knowledge* with your FMily....

MiMi

My personal exchanges are Vitamin D and Pain and Wrath of the Dragon....if you care to visit..

dollbug replied to dollbug's response:
One more thing ....

You are a great person....as today is FATHER'S DAY...and you should be celebrating...

Hope you have a great day...and thanks again.

MiMi

ebnf1969 replied to Mark Pellegrino, MD's response:
Dr. Pelligrino::
My wife has been diagnosed with FMS and CFS , back in 1992
She is at the end of her rope, now that we can NOT find any doctors willing to deal with the "PAIN" of this rotten condition.
No one seems to know what causes this, so No one know what to do about it. Well My wife has found the way out of this pain!! The ONLY way out is suicide! DONE, no more pain. I just hope i can SUE all the doctors we have seen in the past 2 years, who will not even prescribe Oxycode for the pain, when it gets to level 10 , unbearable pain. Oh well, shows how "smart" doctors really are. Here in Ma. they don't even want to help the "pain" , just "exersize" , "walk" "stretch", the stupid bastards dont know what PAIN is, or they would NOT say such things to someone who is suffering! I want to break both of the arms of ALL the doctors who will not help, and say OK, Go lift some weights now!! NO! you can't have anything for pain! Oh yea, try advil!! LOL stupid bastards!! Oh well, no more wife, at least she is in peace now!! NO MORE PAIN.

stanfree123 responded:
Evaluation of Brain Core Therapy

dollbug replied to stanfree123's response:
Hello stanfree. I elected not to try this therapy. I did some research on it and as you can see I asked Dr. P his opinion about it. It was quite expensive and I decided not to do it. I will tell you though I have learned how to *control my FM pain* by taking vitamins and supplements and doing other things as well. I am NOT pain free nor do I expect to be. But my pain is not no where how it use to be. I will have to also tell you that I had other health issues when I first got sick and I found out that all health issues need to be addressed in order for a person to find ways to lessen the pain.

I have participated in several FM clinical studies as well and I have NOT found any kind of medicines which has helped me without causing side effects. I also have chronic fatigue which I deal with and I have not been lucky enough to find anything that has helped this.

It is sad as I read the post before yours and it seems like people have tough roads to travel when they can NOT get any sort of help or relief due to the pain and suffering that this ugly and mean illness hands us. It is sad that people get to the point where they just want to give up. I can indeed understand this and I know how hard it is to handle the pain. I continue to say though that we FMers must keep on keeping on until we find some good combination of tools that will help ease our pain.

I do happen to know that when doctors tell patients with FM that all they need to do is to exercise.....they are wrong. Only gentle exercises and stretches help us.....and sometimes doing this is hard to do. A person should listen to your body and do what you think you can do.

I do know though that educating yourself and learning all you can about the wrath of the dragon, aka FM can help FMers cope better. This support group here has shared many ideas about what they do to cope which has helped me. I hope that I have also offered some good tips as well to those who post and lurk on this site.

Vitamin D is my favorite tip to share....as I have learned that there are a lot of people who have low, (some very low) Vitamin D levels. Low Vitamin D can cause some people to have additional pain and it can also affect other illnesses as well.

Learning how to pace, pace and pace even more is important. Keeping our stress levels as low as possible helps and getting enough sleep is also a must. Less sleep causes more pain for a lot of us. More stress causes more pain. (I have learned just how important these 2 factors can affect our FM)

Drinking plenty of water is also very good for me. In fact, water is probably 98% of what I consume as liquid. On occasion I do drink some and I do like dark hot chocolate on cold days. Other than this, it is all water for me. I use to drink decaffeinated black coffee years ago but I gave it up as well.

Good luck.

MiMi

dollbug replied to dollbug's response:
I meant to tell you also that Dr. P is no longer on our support site. He was a wonderful asset here. He also suffered from FM and treats patients who have it as well.

I sure miss him and his wonderful information.

MiMi

Helpful Tips

Living Well with Fibromyalgia
Greetings! I have learned patience and a positive attitude is key to my pain management. I developed Fibromyalgia after a hysterectomy in ... More
Was this Helpful?
194 of 211 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.