Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Fibro but no tenderness?
steves_8 posted:
Hi Folks.
Is it possible to have Fibro but not have tender points? I have what feels, to me at least, like arthritis in my hands, knees, elbows and shoulders. However, I also have sporadic needle-like pains of up to one minute duration, usually in my fingers. These pains feel like a needle passed all the way into the bone. I also get out-of-proportion pain in my hands or feet if they are lightly knocked against something. I also suffer 'patches' of dull pain that come and go in three or four places, including my left calf, near the ankle.

So far, the docs have found no evidence of arthritis in blood tests, x-rays or ultrasounds, though I do have 'mild' bursitis in my shoulders and right upper arm. After years of trying to get a diagnosis, I have given up and simply fallen back on pain meds.

However, I also suffer depression, fatigue, memory and concentration problems. taken together, this all looks a lot like Fibro, but I have no tender spots. Oh, I also have mild Psoriasis, which could implicate arthritis but, as I said, no tests so far have confirmed that.

Does anybody here have similar symptoms but no tender points?

steves_8 responded:
Oh, and my 'arthritis' is not accompanied by any swelling or inflammation, and the joints are not tender.

xperky responded:
Well, keep track of all your symptoms for now. I hope you never do test positive for psoriatic arthritis, but then again, at least there would be treatment at last.

I have heard that lately there is some question about the tender points being necessary to diagnose FM. You may want to research that.

In the meantime, there are lots of tips for treating your symptoms on this site. You can also share your difficulties with us and know we will probably understand and be supportive.
With Compassion,
Margaret

booch007 responded:
Good Morning,

It took me about 9 physicians of good caliber to get the right diagnosis.....so, your body is speaking out and you yourself see that you don't fit anywhere as of yet. I would go for another opinion.

Please journal your symptoms the way they feel to you and when they ocur. How long it lasts and use a 1-10 scale to grade the sensation it is. What you do to make it feel better and be honest with it all.

This can help the physician see* what is up. NOT ALL diagnosises are in the blood or on the xray.....it is the physical exam and story that bring the conclusion and diagnosis.

Keep on truckin. This is the hardest phase of the process to get better, once handed a label you can move forward.

In the meantime, look to the right under resources and look in the TOOLBOX, see if you fit with the stories of our Fmily here.

I am NOT FM, but CMP...I have taut bands and trigger points that need adressing, I have no fog or fatigue (unless in a flare that can drain you out). This is like having the flu.

I do have tingling and pins and needles( from muscle impingement on nerves...burning too) I also have shoulder tendonitis pain when the muscles have been taut for too long and not treated. I have feelings of arthritis to my hands and feet, but can shake it off in the morning...

I am not aware of my trigger points when they are dormant, in their active state I feel them...on exam though you can find ALL of them......(I receive 30-60 injections to the muscles to keep me working and beng me...)

I hope you get this figured out.....Good luck, Nancy B

OH, just a thought....you are NOT taking a statin are you?? Like lipitoe, simvastatin, crestor or the such?? That can be the root of all the evil! Good luck

deansmimi replied to booch007's response:
Nancy from Deansmimi

What kind of injections do you get for your muscles? A few days ago my RA Dr.(who diag my FM) gave me three injections of cortizone, which I always refused, as I know it eats your bones, but was in so much pain that I wouldbn't have refused anything. I know that cortizone inj. are only permitted a few times a yr, and not many, so I wondered what kind you take. I really don't want to take cortizone
any more. I would apprciate any info you can give me.
I really enjoyed reading your info the other day about
Atrial fib. it was written with more knowledge than any Dr. has been able to explain to me. My Dr. listened to my heart,When
I was in a flare, and became alarmed, and gave me an EKG
right away,(which I don't think was a true reading, because of my pain and I was upset that My rride wouldn't wait for me.
He diag me with AF and wrote me a scrip for Diltaizem.All of my vitals were off that day. My B/P was 140/90, very unuasual for me. and a high pulse. He then suggested that
he'd like me to be open to take Coumadin, which I said is out of the question. He sent me to discuss it with someone
knowledgeble about it, but I told her I would get a second opinion, and a heart ultrasound, etc. before I take any heart med. The Dr said the Diltaizem would speed up my heart and give me energy. I asked what the side effects are, and he i
said there were none. I found out differently on the net. The
next day at home and since then, my pulse has been from 74% to 78% and B/P 139/74. I have COPD and am oxygen,
and with activity, my heart races. This Dr. knows I usually
refuse most meds. I take vicodin 75/750 4 tms a day. I also
have Hashimotos thyroiditis.and take levoxy. My blood word
hasn't been done since last August, and it could be my thyroid also may be off. So.... until I have more tests, I won't
take a med to slow my heart. I would appreciate your input
as to what you think about my Info, etc.?Thank you for your time. God Bless!

Marie

deansmimi replied to deansmimi's response:
Nancy,
I made a mistake when I said the Dr. told me it would speed my heart. He it would slow it down. Sorry!

Marie

steves_8 replied to deansmimi's response:
Thanks, everybody.

Helpful Tips

Vitamin D level checked ***
I encourage everyone who is having pain problems to ask your doctor to check your Vitamin D level......a simple blood test...and so very ... More
Was this Helpful?
214 of 244 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.