Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Polycythemia and Fibro
Ladyteguesian posted:
Hi all.. been a few days since I was last on.. been under the weather a bit. I went on Wednesday for a checkup. Dr did a CBC and checked my Vitamin D. All is well EXCEPT for my red blood cell count. Way too high. I have been doing research on this, and started today on a 81mg aspirin and fish oil regimen. Here's the problem. I have had chronic pain since my MVA 4-1/2 years ago. My blood was great last year on my checkup, but now I find that Polycythemia (diagnosed) is a major cause of a lot of my symptoms. Has anyone else experienced this "problem"?

booch007 responded:
Good morning,

Yes Polycythemia can be quite painful, but there are fixes for it.
Then you will feel better. Sad it took so long to find this. Last years CBC was OK?

Do you smoke? (see I always start with questions?)

Hoping you don't and now will know you should really quit to help your body. There is medicine used for years for this a type of chemotherapy...slowing the making of cells.

And there is phlebotomy...taking your blood and decreasing it's volume....and depending on the issues and type of cells in there...phoresis, where they separate when they take and give you the good back (plasma...platelets etc)

It is a shame I always felt that we can't use all the extra cells someone makes in these diseases it would help the blood banks so much! But the cells are not right.

Believe it or not my sisters CAT had this, he was always biting and so mean....once diagnosed...(and think how often does a vet draw blood on a cat? NEVER) so he was sick for so long, a seizure happened due to such thick blood......so he finally was treated and did well and WAS A NICE CAT after (in a way) he faught to have the med...faught to see the doc...but his temprement was so improved because he FELT BETTER....

They cannot speak, so I am so glad you were diagnosed now get a good hematologist and get fixed!! You have a life waiting for you!!

Good luck, Nancy B

Ladyteguesian replied to booch007's response:
Thanks.. I woke up this AM feeling better than I had in a long time.. I slept last night with an oxygen meter. Gonna be interested in seeing how far my oxygen dropped during the night.

I credit a lot of my well feeling today with 3,000 mg fish oil, 81 mg baby aspirin, and my Altenolol.. I hate phlebotomy but if I have to I have to.. I credit a lot of my high red cells to the altitude...I'm hoping my doctor gives me a prescription for a move to the Oregon Coast. Every time I go up there, I feel so great and sleep even better. OH and BTW the best hematologist I know of is in Portland.

Thanks again,
Bonnie

booch007 replied to Ladyteguesian's response:
Hey, If I remember right a red cell lives for 120days.......so there can be a change if it is altitude that has done this to you. Using oxygen can help too....

But they have their ways of diagnosing this as YOU and not the environment that is the cause. A few different Polycythemias out there.

I wish you luck, glad they found it and glad you didn't get REAL SICK before the diagnosis was made.

Good luck, NAncy B

Ladyteguesian replied to booch007's response:
Well I am really starting to think that a lot of the problem IS the altitude.. When I go to Portland or Seattle, I feel better than I ever felt, sleep like a baby, and have energy. (Could be that I'm away from home) My sis and I went to Seattle in October and drove down the coast to Newport. I LOVED IT.. my sister was stuffed up and freezing all the time.. I felt like I was "home". I may go spend a week on the coast again "just for investigative purposes."

booch007 replied to Ladyteguesian's response:
Hmmm it sounds more like the med of distraction and the gift of love! They are powerful items.

If your blood is htick enough for that diagnosis a short trip to a lower altitude wouldn't make you feel better (if the cause is the thicker blood)

I wish you all the best though........take a trip it is good for the spirit! Nancy B

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
465 of 540 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.