Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
FIBRO (NOT DIAGNOSED)
An_245991 posted:
hello-can you please tell me how is it that some drs will not recognise fibro and seem to think that it is all in your mind, since my parents passed away i have felt absolutely awful with stiff joints headaches diverticular and ibs, vertigo and feeling totally exhausted, i just don't know what to do now, the last dr i seen prescribed tramadol and after reading the side effects i decided to pass. i just want to do what is wrong with me. before this i was never at the docs now i am a regular but i think i'll just put up and shur up as much as i can fro now on, very disallusioned. regards julie x

Anon_10089 responded:
Hello-

I didn't wait for a doctor to diagnose me with FM. I knew for years that I had it and since I didn't have insurance during those years, I didn't see doctors. Once I got insurance, the first doctor I went to (in an urgent care facility) said she thought I had FM. After that, when seeing my PCP, I just told her I have FM.

Pretty much the only thing that a doctor has been able to do for me is prescribe me medication(that I've asked for). I've never gotten new information or even very much advice from doctors, other than Dr. Pellegrino who posts in this community.

Of course you want to rule out other issues that can cause the same symptoms as FM, but you do not have to wait to take charge of your well being.

There is a lot of information in this community as to how people treat their FM, whether it be through meds, supplements/vitamins, exercise, distraction, etc.

It can take years to figure out the right combination of things to make this more bearable. I hope you can figure out some ways to cope!

jillylin responded:
Hi,
See you passed up on the tramadol. I take it and have had no problems. I cn even stop taking it and the only problem I get with that is increased pain. The slow release stuff causes far fewer problems that the normal kind though.
It is very disheartening that some doctors just won't recognise Fibro. My neurologist said I was suffering from anxiety! Fortunately my doctor thinks he is an idiot. I never used to be at the doctor until this hit either.
Jilly (UK)

booch007 responded:
Good morning,

I am agreeing with Jillin here and others. I knew something was wrong and despite the MD's at the time not following me, I continued to help myself with non-medical tools to be better.

I used only Motrin forever until bleeding became an issue and I WAS taking too much. My neurologist changed me to Ultracet which is tramadol 37.5mg and tylenol and I am fine with it. 3 times a day I use it to be active.

Please don't fear the literature of everything you read. Being in pain is affecting your brain chemistry and you spirit and YOUR LIFE alot more then the meds we take.

Please read in to the TOOLBOX to the right under resources to see* some of the tricks we self help with aslo the usual mix of meds that help. There are people here who use only supplements and are doing fairly well.

Where you are in this process of diagnosis is the toughest, the fit of a good doctor is relentless. I saw 9 before I found my physicain champion. So staima is a must.....hold your chin up high and keep looking.

Specialties that cover this are Rheumatology, Physical Medicine and Rehab, Pain Management and (myofascial part) of Neurology (this is what I use)

When you make an appointment, ask if they have a base of FM patients, it will give you a heads up that they are familiar with the diagnosis and the care of the same.

Geez, I wish it was easy....but it is better. In the 90's it was so much harder to get diagnosed and be validated...getting better each year. BUT where you live can be a challenge, so head to a large teaching facility to meet with those on the cutting edge, after diagnosis they can tell you who in your area will help you. Plus you are diagnosed and established by this point.

For me, I just love my doc, so I travel.......when I was validated I cried...it was a liberating moment. She looked in her Travelle and Simmons Medical book and told me WHY I had the issues I had. WHOA! BIG moment! (I then bought that book!)

I wish this for you, good luck and the toughest road you will have, it will get better after that.

Also look under Dr.Pellegrino's site up to the right, click on discussion and he has some powerful notes there for you to learn from. He is "Physical Medicine and Rehab" so I know you will find the right doc...keep on keeping on!

Good luck, Nancy B

jordanbarnes responded:
thanks for all replies, very helpful x

katmandulou responded:
Hi An-245991 and Welcome!
It's dangerous to self-diagnose without the usual tests. If it turns out you have, I dunno, MS and you're being treated for FM, it could cause some serious trouble for you.

We all have the "illness" in varying degrees and with varying symptoms. I take tramadol on bad days, and it helps. Some days I feel perfectly fine.

Check out the toolbox and hang around. My have site is http://www.butyoudontlooksick.com/ . There are additional tools for those of us who, well, don't look sick.

Have the best day you can have!
Lou

jordanbarnes replied to katmandulou's response:
hi-thanks for that really helpful, i'll check that out xx

Helpful Tips

Living Well with Fibromyalgia
Greetings! I have learned patience and a positive attitude is key to my pain management. I developed Fibromyalgia after a hysterectomy in ... More
Was this Helpful?
190 of 207 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.