Skip to content
new guy
fibrotrucker posted:
just wanted to say hi, I was told i had fibro back in april, after 4 years of pain, and test. I hurt my arm, hit a nerve while at work, my whole left arm went numb, and it all started from there. I am still able to work, but trew out the whole day, i ache, and after work its real bad. I am just starting to learn about this, and am wondering where I can get the most accurace info, besides my doctor. I was also wondering about if it progresses or not. Any info someone can give me would be great thanks!

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Fibrotrucker,

I'm sure others will be responding but, in the meantime, I wanted to welcome you here.

While you're waiting for responses, be sure to read other discussions on the board, check out Dr. Pellegrino's responses (click on his name on the upper right to find discussions he's posted to) and check out the Resources and Tips linked from the left sidebar.

There's a lot of good info here.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. ~Joseph Campbell

debrabrooks1960 responded:
Welcome to the FM Community! I joined a little over a month ago and everyone here has made me feel wonderful and right at home! I read everything I could on WebMD and read a lot of things that were recommend by members. I have learned so much about FM. I think a big part of being able to live with FM is knowledge. It gave me comfort knowing what I am going through is not in my head and that there is a place I can go to where everyone understands and gives me support. Good luck with your journey and soft hugs.

Debbie
Your not over the hill until you are under the hill.

mrahoe responded:
hey fibrotrucker

i was a driver myself until the headaches & dizzy spells took me off the road 11 yrs ago. now i dont drive at all and gave up my licence . im now in a wheelchair and take narcotics for pain and takin them if i got into one little fender bender if they checked my blood that would be the cause of any accedent im sure so i just decided its better not to drive.

things have progressed downward for me over time both physicaly & mentaly. . i was falling so often from the dizzy spells and had gained so much weight from a 3yr stint of not getting out of the house for anything but to see the dr that its got so my girlfriend could no longer lift me and i spent so many hrs on the floor while she was at work that for the last 5 mths iv been stuck in long term care at a hospital. im working towards getting out but im going to have to have homecare and a iv fallen and cant get up pendant to call for help but thats down the road a ways yet.

all i can tell you is try not to just think of your saftey but think of the others on the raod if the job becomes to much for you. but i hope your one of the ones who can continue to work and have some form of a life..

the former canadian trucker

john
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.--Dr. Suess

fibrotrucker replied to mrahoe's response:
Thanks, for now its not to bad, I just ache after work, alot. I am not long hauling, but i do be on the road about 12 to 15 hours a day, well monday to friday, I haul from one town to another, and i am home every night. When i find myself getting worse, I well get back in school, and do something I can handle. I take lyric and oc pain meds for now. once it wears off, i can feel the ppain, and cold weather, rain, anything like that well set it off. I hope to learn different things on here to manage the pain, what exercises I can do. anyways, talk later on, I go on the road at 4 am every morning, its 10:30 pm here in Newfoundland, Canada.

fibrotrucker replied to debrabrooks1960's response:
Thanks I hope to learn alot from here, me and my wife would like to know what well happen later in life.

fibrotrucker replied to Caprice_WebMD_Staff's response:
yes others did respond, thanks all, me and my wife would love to know more about this condition, and what questions is best to ask my doctor. I wanted a place to go to get the truth about fibro, there are do many sites but you dont know what ones you can trust, I alway did go to webmd for alot, so I think its the best one to get info from, and I know it well be true!

fibrotrucker replied to debrabrooks1960's response:
Thanks, i look forward in meeting people, and finding out more about fibro.

Anon_10089 replied to fibrotrucker's response:
Hello-

I've had FM for years and have done research on it for just as long. I'd say that this community is probably one of the best and most comrehensive sources for good information. Not only is there a doctor (Dr. Pellegrino) who has and treats FM, just reading other people's experiences can be very helpful.

I definitely can take awhile to get all your own tricks, meds, and coping mechanisms in place. It sounds like your wife is supportive and that in itself is huge.

I'd encourage you to read Dr. Pellegrino's posts and also just read through some of the discussions here. It's a great resource!

xperky replied to fibrotrucker's response:
Hi fibrotrucker. Nice to have you here. I hope you can gain some knowledge here about keeping FM under control.

I think avoiding flares is important. You will learn what causes your flares. It helps me to keep a brief journal of symptoms/activities/medicines/emotions and anything pertinent. You may see a pattern that causes you to flare.

They say FM does not necessarily get worse with age. I know some people feel worse, and some feel better. It probably depends on what the root cause of your FM is, and whether you have concurent diseases, etc. Just guessing.

Be sure to 'search this community' for specific questions. It's good to include "Dr. Pellegrino" in your search so you can see his ideas on a topic.

Remember to change physical positions as often as possible. It's hard when driving, but frequent stretching and breaks might help you get through the day with less stiffness and pain.
With Compassion,
Margaret

Helpful Tips

Living Well with Fibromyalgia
Greetings! I have learned patience and a positive attitude is key to my pain management. I developed Fibromyalgia after a hysterectomy in ... More
Was this Helpful?
194 of 211 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.