Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
What is RSD
marysings posted:
Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD) also known as Complex Regional Pain Syndrome (CRPS), is a chronic pain, neurological syndrome. RSD is a malfunction of the central nervous systems, which causes pain and additional symptoms.

RSD effects millions of people in the United States. This is not a new disease. RSD has been documented all the way back to the Civil War. If not treated aggressively and correctly RSD spreads rapidly.

Symptoms of RSD include:
  • severe intense burning pain(feeling like you are on fire)
  • pathological changes in bone
  • excessive sweating
  • tissue swelling
  • extreme sensitivity to touch
  • dramatic changes in the color and temperature of the skin over the affected limb or body part
  • skin sensitivity
RSDSA.org offers the most complex description of RSD .

The National Institute of Neurological Disorders and strokes describes RSD as, "Complex regional pain syndrome (CRPS) is a chronic pain condition that is believed to be the result of dysfunction in the central or peripheral nervous systems. Typical features include dramatic changes in the color and temperature of the skin over the affected limb or body part, accompanied by intense burning pain, skin sensitivity, sweating, and swelling. CRPS I is frequently triggered by tissue injury; the term describes all patients with the above symptoms but with no underlying nerve injury. Patients with CRPS II experience the same symptoms but their cases are clearly associated with a nerve injury."
According to Neurology Channel , RSD is "also known as complex regional pain syndrome (CRPS), is a chronic, painful, and progressive neurological condition that affects skin, muscles, joints, and bones. The syndrome usually develops in an injured limb, such as a broken leg, or following surgery. However, many cases of RSD involve only a minor injury, such as a sprain. And in some cases, no precipitating event can be identified.
I'm strong willed and I tell it like it is. I make mistakes, I'm sometimes out of control, but I love and give with all my heart. Have patience with me as I heal.

angelswife responded:
Thanks, Mary---it's been suggested I've developed this in my ankle and foot due to a severely broken lower leg and ankle, plus the major surgery it took to fix it. I noticed nerve issues after the surgery, and they haven't gone away, although some of the worst pain has subsided.

I have generalized tenderness over the front of my ankle and around the main incision, along with tremors in my toes, extreme (for me) reactions to temperature changes, swelling, and sometimes no stability in my ankle, even with the cast on. The site of the actual damage by my anklebone is so tender that any pressure sends white-hot pain all the way through my toes. One toe and part of the top of my foot lost feeling completely, although I still have mobility. But I sometimes have the sense that that section of my foot and ankle have "disappeared", and if I'm not hanging onto something I fall.

My Ortho hasn't said too much---he is waiting to see what will happen when the cast comes off and I try to walk. But he was hoping most of it was due to the swelling. I am not so sure now; but all I can do is take what I have and keep moving forward. Thanks a lot for the info!

Helpful Tips

Living Well with Fibromyalgia
Greetings! I have learned patience and a positive attitude is key to my pain management. I developed Fibromyalgia after a hysterectomy in ... More
Was this Helpful?
190 of 207 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.