Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
New to this pain
sharonkr11 posted:
Hello Fibro community, I am new to the pain of Fibromyalgia. It is so painful . How do you cope with it?

michmorn responded:
Hi Sharon,

You have come to the right place for sure. We are all in pain at times and struggling to cope with it. Please have lots of patience with yourself and know that it will get better. Check out the members toolbox under resources. There are so many helpful suggestions there. I have lots of warm baths or showers, heating pads, extra pillows and a foamy on your mattress if you find your bed uncomfortable. Some take meds. Some don't. It seems everyone is different in what works best for them so it takes a bit of time to find what is helpful to you and what you are comfortable with. Most of all I think it's important to talk with people who understand what you are going through. I'm so sorry you are in pain. Please know everyone here understands and cares. I hope you find some comfort in that.

((Gentle hugs.))

Michelle

xstitchgrandma responded:
Hey sharonKr11-

well, the best way I have found so far- is taking a very loooong warm shower, seems to help out some....one day- I ended up taking "3" showers- no people donot understand...but they will get it someday-

Randm2220 responded:
Saron,

Welcome! This site is really great for information and support.

Coping with constant pain is not easy. You must pace yourself and listen to your body. Finding the right medicine combo and learning your limitations takes time. It took me 2 years to find my right combo. Even then I am still in constant pain, just not as bad.

Hot showers are the bomb! I love mine and look forward to that time of day. I try to limit to 1 day since I have stopped working. I have a shower message head and I love it. I have a heated foot massager and a heating pad too. I use one that is microwaveable so I can take bed if needed. I also have my favorite pillows.

I hope you find the right combo soon. Be patient. You will go through tough times mentally initially. Fear, anger, depression, questioning, frustration. It all comes with the territory. Please ask questions here and know that we understand if you need to vent.

Kim

Kimmons responded:
Hi,
I have had Fibromyalgia for a long time and have been under treatment for at least 10 years. In the beginning it was trial and error to see what would work for me. I went through every treatment known I think to no avail. Physical therapy HURT...I couldn't stand to be touched let alone massaged. Water therapy didn't help. I don't even remember what else they tried before they went to drug therapy. They tried some of the drugs that weren't originally made for Fibro with no luck (antidepressants, seizure meds, etc). Finally they started me on the lowest dose of narcotic which was tylenol #3, and a muscle relaxant (Flexaril). Very slowly, whatever med I was taking would stop working as I became accustomed to it. So, they continued to up doses until I was at the max...then they would switch drugs.. Mind you this was a VERY slow process with me being on each med for at least a year (including the potency increases). I am currently on oxycontin, oxycodone for breakthrough pain, and Soma. I have no side effects at all from the oxycontin-I started at 20 mg and increased it slowly as even that would quit working. So-I am now really stable on 100 mg twice daily, with oxycodone 10 mg 3 times daily if needed, and Soma 2-3 times daily. Since I climbed the "drug ladder" so slowly I have no side effects whatsoever and I have been stable for over 2 years. I have severe Fibro symptoms. When I wake up in the morning I feel like I've been hit by a truck and then some...I take my meds and lay back down for an hour, and by that time I'm 80-90% pain free!
When were you diagnosed? What treatments have you tried...and what is your Dr doing for you now? The key to success is #1 a Dr who understands the pain of Fibro and #2 patience with failed treatments...
Kimmons

thenikki64 responded:
Hi! I think you will get many different answers. Pain control for us seems to be very individualized. For me, it was definitely trial and error. I take an opiate called Nucynta four times a day most days, and at night I take trazadone for sleep along with a low dose of muscle relaxer, either 5 mg flexeril or a half a soma.

The pain doesn't go away, but the meds make it tolerable for me. I can work although I leave the heavier lifting to the youngsters:) My coping mechanisms are many: frequent breaks when I can, time alone for reading, HOT showers, easy walks, looking through my scrapbooks:)

It is important to have a doctor or two who is willing to work with you and not dismiss your illness! If you haven't found that, keep looking. It took me a few years to find mine. Take care.
Pam in Savannah

sharonkr11 replied to michmorn's response:
Hi Michelle, thanks for your kind words and advice. I am trying to cope with it all. My siatic nerve bothers me all the time and the warming pain in my arms and feet. I am trying not to take too many pain meds bc of my job. I have to stay awake.Do you feel like you have broke your hand or strained a muscle? Sorry for all the ?'s but I need to know?

sharonkr11 replied to xstitchgrandma's response:
Hello xstitchgrandma, I guess I will start taking long warm showers or baths it is soothing.

sharonkr11 replied to Randm2220's response:
Hello Randm2220, My feet hurt so bad I think I need a heated foot massager. I am angry and frustrated bc I am a hard worker and now I have to slow down bc of the pain.I take certain meds and all they do is put me to sleep. I have another appt soon so I will have to have a talk with my Doctor to find something else. Thank you for the advice.

sharonkr11 replied to Kimmons's response:
Hello Kimmons, Thank you for the advice. Right now I am trying Phy therapy, but that is just treating my siatic nerve. I was just dianosed last week. Did the pain come and take over your body quickly? I have been thru child birth and other surgeries and this is the worst, agitating pain I have ever been thru. I am a tuff girl and can take alot of pain but this is the worst and it came so quick.

Anon_2912 responded:
For me keeping mobile helps, if I sit to long I become stiff. I continue to work to keep my mentality in check.

I have a hubby that travels & our only child moved out heading to college.

I only take OTC meds, I tried all the FIBRO meds, & for me they gave me worse side effects & mentally I was not thinking clearly.

But everyone reacts different to things. I am on ambien for insomnia, but I have been on that well before fibro.

Helpful Tips

For All our new members
Welcome all new members, I want you to understand how important it is to be o.k. with coming here to lift your spirits and release ... More
Was this Helpful?
368 of 395 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.