Skip to content
Savella for FM and side effects
tlp2815 posted:
I have been on Lyrica for about 2 years. It is not really helping too much for my FM pain. Of course, Im not taking the recommended dosage since I have 2 kids under age 2 and need to be able to function and take care of them and drive. I started Savella Fri night on my drs recommendation. He told me to stop taking the Lyrica and to just start the Savella which I dont really think was the best advice but I did. Well I was so sick from the Savella. My side effects were vomitting, diarrhea, cold sweat with the shakes, nausea, bad headache and dizziness. I only took the 1st 12.5 mg dosage the first night and then the 1st of the two 12.5 mg dosages on Sat am. and I was this sick. I am still not feeling good this am. If I was this sick on the minimum dosage I hate to think how sick I would be if I took the total recommended dosage. I stopped taking the Savella also.I am not sure if I made the right decision in stopping this medication. I am not sure if it took my pain away being that I was so sick I may have been focused on feeling sick and not on my pain. My pain is back this am and Im back on Lyrica but it is raining which makes my FM symptoms worsen. Has anyone out there been on Savella and can share their experience? Please help!

tlp2815 responded:
Also, I am not sure if my side effects would have subsided over time or gotten better. I dont think I could have stuck it out much longer feeling the way that I did.

BrokenWrench responded:
I have been on Savella for 3 years or so, and the only side effect I have (that I am sure is the drug) is the profuse sweating. Amitriptyline, Lyrica, they did nothing for me. I took myself off from Savella after the first year and a half, just to see if it was still helping, and that was the worst I have felt since having been diagnosed with FM. I don't know what I would do without it.

I live in MI and the rain/snow/damp here seems to be the worst for me also. Your symptoms might have been withdrawal from quitting the Lyrica cold turkey, not necessarily the Savella.

I hope this helps,

Mike....

profpat responded:
I am currently taking Lyrica & Savella and pain is controlled quite well. I know that decreasing either of them is brutal so I would agree with Mike that it may be withdrawal from the Lyrica. I feel for you because I know the frustration of not being able to figure out what is causing our symptoms. It takes a lot of trial and error and I found I did best with the help of my doctor. I know it seems like that is all we do but if you have a good doctor, s/he should be able to help you sort it out. What is hard is hanging on during the initial side effects as our bodies get use to the change in meds.

booch007 responded:
Lyrica and Savella can be taken together and weaning the Lyrica off would have been a better move. I am thinking that those side effects were similar to my Cymbalta withdrawl that I had.

Wait a bit and try again. I can only take the 12.5 "Little blue pill" and that is it. Higher then that I can't sleep heart rate is too high and I am in trouble. 12.5 changes me just enough.

Talk to the doc. Get aperscription for just the 12.5mg tablets and work your way up slow...real slow. and see how oyu feel. I don't like that dose pak. NOT ALL OF US can do it.

Always taking small steps is the safest way.

It is a shame that MD's are not as gret in pharmacy as they should. Talk to the pharmisist in oyur life too for guidance, they are great.

Hope this helps.Nancy B

Helpful Tips

For All our new members
Welcome all new members, I want you to understand how important it is to be o.k. with coming here to lift your spirits and release ... More
Was this Helpful?
376 of 403 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.