Skip to content
Vitamin D Deficiency
tlp2815 posted:
I see some posts saying that many people with FM have Vit D deficiencies. A few years ago when I was trying or a baby I was told that I was Vitamin D deficient and was given some vitamins. What amount of Vitamin D should I be taking?

dollbug responded:
Hello and welcome....MiMi in NC....your doctor should provide you with just how much you need as it depends upon what your level was when it was tested...low Vitamin D can cause additional pain for some of us and it can also affect other illnesses as well...I would suggest that you do your own research on this...as some doctors are still not quite up to date on how to treat people who need Vitamin D...

This, as with many other processes, takes time...I know that it took me over a year before my level finally got back to the low end of the range. My doctor only prescribed the high dose for a very short time...and then told me to take the over the counter D...and that I should take this the rest of my life. The more I read though about it the more I learned....

Please check out the other info under *Tips* and *Resources* that you will find to the right of this page...I am sure you will find all sorts of good info here.

Take care and good luck.

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

My personal exchanges are Vitamin D and Pain and Wrath of the Dragon....if you care to visit..

NotWorldly responded:
I actually got deficient on Vitamin D at the rate of 800 I.U.'s a day. I have read numerous writeups on this and think that 2,000 I.U. a day (Vit. D3 only) is a minimum amount to take; more if you're deficient or elderly. Check Life Extension Foundation's website for a lot of information on Vitamin D. They tell about research showing that some knowledgeable doctors recommend between 2000 and 8,000 I.U. a day. The only way I finally got my blood test numbers up to an ideal number was to take 10,000 I.U. a day with fat-soluble food; now I am holding, at 5,000 I.U. a day. Will test every few months to see how much is needed to maintain that ideal 60-90 number on the blood tests.

dollbug replied to NotWorldly's response:
Hello....MiMi in NC...I think doctors are still not quite sure how to advise a person on Vitamin D...everyone should indeed do their own research and talk to their doctor about this. I do not quite understand just why the doctors are not doing more to help people with this...especially once the Vitamin D level has been checked and the results do not fall within the normal range....which is a wide range to begin with...

I do know that we are all different and what helps one person may or may not help another...people have to keep tabs on this and remind doctors to check it at least once a year, once their levels are considered *normal*..

Take care and thanks for sharing....

MiMi

My personal exchanges are Vitamin D and Pain and Wrath of the Dragon....if you care to visit..

Anon_2912 replied to dollbug's response:
That is true...Doctors don't know much about Vit D...

I was low (as most people with thyroid issues are) so they had me a total of 3 12 weeks regimes in the last 4yrs. The last one I was taking 20000 iu once a week 2000 iu OTC. That much apparently put me into toxcicity stage of over 300 on the Vit D level. (No symptoms on my part)..My endo told me to stop all Vit d intake until she gets it to a low level. I just had it tested last week and it was 53, she still says she wants it lower....she told me 80 is high so she wants it lower....So for another 6 months no vit d for me...

I don't think doctors know about vit d.....or they are not on the same page....

dollbug replied to Anon_2912's response:
Hello....actually 53 in within the *normal range*....when my level find got up to 42 the doctor told me that mine was still on the low side of normal....so where exactly does your doctor want your levels to be?

And we have to realize that since there is a range....not all people are ok with say a very low range...or a high range...but supposedly any number within the *normal range* is ok...even the range can vary, just depending upon where you are reading it...

Take care and good luck..

MiMi

She did not say. I will re test in Nov.

Not worried about it unless I start feeling the bone aches...

dollbug replied to Anon_2912's response:
So are you saying that taking the Vitamin D actually helped you *feel a difference*?

I hope that your levels will stay within the range...

Take care...

MiMi

To me it did make a difference as far as leg/muscle aches. I can feel the leg aches coming back but right now they only come at night time.

At least to me it is the Vid d, BUT my Endo said it is hard to tell what is making the difference, the dosage switch on Synthorid, or actually switching from generic to Synthroid. I have been having dosage issues for a bit now....I just switched dosage again about 8 days ago so I really don't know...

Helpful Tips

Living Well with Fibromyalgia
Greetings! I have learned patience and a positive attitude is key to my pain management. I developed Fibromyalgia after a hysterectomy in ... More
Was this Helpful?
193 of 210 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.