Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Sad today:(
thenikki64 posted:
I had two MRIs today, one for my right hand which has had significant pain especially at the joint where the pinkie joins the palm and the other of my neck, my primary pain source.

My sadness today stems from this pain and the fear that nothing will be seen on the MRIs. I am right handed and some days this pain limits me greatly, so I am hopeful there will be something there we can fix. If they find nothing, then I just deal with it, but I am already tired of dealing with it.

On top of this, my son is in Afghanistan and my husband may have to go in September. My hubs' deployment would be volunteer. He is not military but works for the Army at the US Army Corps of Engineers. We own a house that is totally underwater on the mortgage, and we can't sell it even though the listing price is half of what we owe. The Afghanistan money would go toward paying down the mortgage on that house. Otherwise we would have to 'borrow' a large sum from his retirement fund if we did find a buyer.

My son's tour will end in September, so Pat comes home and Bill goes over. My worry for Pat seems to be increasing the closer his return date gets. He has been in the heaviest fighting seen there and has seen his best friend wounded (he is fine now).

I love my 'boys' so much. If the hubs does go to Afghanistan, it will only be for 6 months, and he will be in relative safety--will never be allowed off the base which is the same one the politicians and dignitaries use for their over night stays. Bill says he'll be safer in Afghanistan than he would be in downtown Atlanta! I don't doubt that.

I just needed to put my worries into words, so thanks for listening.
Pam in Savannah

dollbug responded:
Hello Pam....sorry that you have so much on your plate right now....I did want to ask you...perhaps you have cervical discs issues....I know that I did and I was having issues with my shoulder down to my pinkie....we have some nerves which cross over in our neck area and these can affect these areas...another thought might be carpal tunnel....I had so many problems with my hands, both hands and have had 7 surgeries on them (2 of which was where I fell and broke each wrist)..I have also had cervical (neck) surgery as well....

I am sure you are worried about your son being in Afghanistan and then your DH also who will be going as well..this is so much to worry about, even without the house issue...

Stress is not a good thing for us FMers...as I am sure you are aware of...I happen to know just how much stress has affect us also...and it is not good for the mind or the body....

I hope things get better for you soon. I hope you will keep us updated when you get your results from your MRI...

Take care and good luck...

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

My personal exchanges are Vitamin D and Pain and Wrath of the Dragon....if you care to visit..

thenikki64 replied to dollbug's response:
Thanks, Mimi. I've had carpal tunnel surgery on both wrists, but I am told those nerves can still be a problem. The way the pinkie joint started was with severe swelling, redness, pain. I took antibiotics for over 2 weeks, and the inflammation resolved but the pain is still there. Part of me wonders if this is just a manifestation of FM, where I did have an infection and that is gone, but the pain response is overactive and so pain is lingering. Hopefully I'll have those MRI results this week. My right neck hurts enough that if they tell me to have surgery, I'll do it.

Have a great day. Keep cool!
Pam

DublinGirl responded:
Wow, you've a lot to deal with right now haven't you? That stress can' t be helping. I hope you get some relief soon, get that husband of yours to give you a great big hug and maybe a hand and arm massage. If it's any comfort at all, here's a virtual hug from Ireland O

onwardnupward responded:
I know the sadness that comes from worrying that nothing will be found, so nothing can be done. It is so devastating to be told you just have to live with it! Not that surgery is something to look forward to, either. It is especially with so much else you have to live with. If it helps to know that others care- I do! Take care of yourself!
~Cris

thenikki64 responded:
Thank you all so much! My MRI on my hand did show changes suggestive of rheumatoid arthritis, even though my bloodwork was all negative for that disease. I have erosions in one joint and a joint effusion in another, so I will be referred to a rheumatologist. Will they treat my symptoms even though my bloodwork is negative? I guess I will find out soon enough. My son is back at his base in Afghanistan, so we may get a call from him this weekend. The hubs begins his health check ups for his 'deployment' on Thursday. His weight may be over the limit, so he may get turned down unless they are really desperate for engineers (I am told they are). Well, hopefully I'll be on my way soon to a less painful hand. Thanks again for the thoughts and well wishes. You guys are great!
Pam in Savannah

crazytaurenswife replied to thenikki64's response:
Hi Pam,

I was tested for rheumatoid arthritis a couple of years ago and I read that the blood work comes back negative in about a third of the people who actually have it. I can't remember the specific test, and I was told that the rheumatologist uses a different type of blood work test than what is normally done in my doctor's office. So who knows? Your doctor's test may come back negative and if the rheumatologist you're referred to does more blood work, it could come back positive. Either way, I hope you have more answers soon and something can be done for your hand.

What kind of a job do you have? I'm in school and was able to get a program called Dragon Naturally Speaking (http://www.nuance.com/dragon/index.htm ) to use with my computer. I've been told it can be used to control up to 99% of a computer.

*hugs* I hope your son and husband will get to see each other before your husband deploys. I have several relatives who have been or are currently in the military, and I know how hard it can be on the ones left behind. I hope your son and husband stay safe

~air hugs~

~Jessi

mnjeepguy responded:
I am waiting for the next step to work towards results too. I feel your pain.

As for the house, it is very stressful. I am OK but have friends upside down after the economic downturn. We all wish we could pay the mortgage but in reality, many of us were over-mortgaged by greedy lenders. The only smart thing to do if it is bad is to let it go. You should not use retirement funds to secure the sale off a home or pay it off unless you are dissabled and have to. I have a family member who always payed the bills on time, that had to let a house go simply because they could not sell it for what they owed. It was on the market for almost two years after employment was in another state. It may ruin credit but it can be healed and life goes on. Save your retirement for retirement.

If the house is realy underwater that is my advice. Even if you get ahead you may lose or risk too many other things.

I wish you well and your family safe.

xperky replied to thenikki64's response:
Hi Pam. You do have a lot on your plate right now.

I too, have pinky troubles, lol. My pinkies are sticking out and up, and the right MCP is 'rough' when moved. I wouldn't be surprised if it were RA. I just went to the rheumy today and he ordered blood tests, so I might know more soon. We can be seronegative for years while joints can be damaged, so it's good that you are seeing a rheumy soon.

You know, RA can affect the neck joints. So it is hopeful your rheumy will help you there as well. Be sure to mention all your symptoms, even the ones you think are not related. Auto-immune diseases can run in packs...

I can really feel your worries about the deployments. I would worry too. Hopefully all will continue to go OK.

We are 'under water' with the house too. This recession has caused so much stress for so many. Not good on the FM.

Keep us posted on your progress. It takes a lot of patience to figure out new things happening to our bodies.
With Compassion,
Margaret

thenikki64 responded:
Thanks y'all! Jessi, I purchased the Dragon software several years ago for my dad who also has rheumatoid arthritis, and he likes it. I'm not that bad yet.

I have tried to convince my husband to give the house back to the bank, but he has resisted until recently. My credit is great, so should we need to purchase something major, we can still do it. Like most folks, though, actually going through with that is embarrassing. I still think it is what we need to do.

I am kind of hoping the medication I will take will alleviate pain elsewhere. I certainly hope those of you who are in a similar boat to me get your answers soon. Thank you again, and happy Independence Day!
Pam

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
462 of 537 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.