Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
How???
lily75 posted:
How do people cope with fibromyalgia? There are days, more often than not, I just can't take it anymore, I o not think the octors I have around here are very well informed and know how to help me deal with this. I use feel like I can't o on anymore.

fibroinsd responded:
Hi and welcome..I hope you have found some time to read some of these posts...it will give you some more ideas...

Dealing with fibro is a trial and error much of the time...There are meds..but what works for one, doesn't necessarily work for another. For me, it was Cymbalta that helped...

Then there are vitamins...most of us have found help with vitamins..especially vit. D...so have your doctor check your vit d level..many are low...For me...I take a multi vitamin, a GOOD B-100 COMPLETE vitamin..d, omega, and magnesium..

There are stretches to do...got to get your muscles stretched out...and your blood moving...

Then there are lots of other suggestions...you can find them in the tips and resources section, under member toolbox...started by Nancy B...such as using warm showers..heating pads..etc..

Don't give up...take control of your situation..there are things to do !

cece
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional !- Mary Englebright

DublinGirl responded:
Hi Lily75,

We cope because we have to and because we want to. There are days when it's so hard you think you're going bananas, but you have to find your mechanism for coping and cling to it.

Fibroinsd is right, it is trial and error. I hate swimming, but it helps. I like pilates and that's better. If I have to, I'll go for a walk.

I've had it for about 8 years and I've had some times when it's been hard to get out of bed, but my first physio told me to exercise through the pain and it does work. I hated him for it, but he was right. Exercise is one of the better things. And someone else on this site reminded me of moist heat. I find a bath or hot shower is brilliant. If you can get access to a jacuzzi even better or a steam room, even better.

I've found great strenght in myself to cope with this and I've found great support on sites like this one where people are so understanding and helpful because we've all been there.

My doctor didn't believe me at first, and he's only now coming around to it after years of seeing me suffer. He's gone and done some more research now and only last week agreed to put me on stronger drugs, which thankfully are helping.

Do you research, take tips from everyone you can make contact with through this site for their expertise and advice and decide you can deal with this and adapt. That's the best advice I can give you.

There's millions of us all over the world living with this and adapting our lives to what we can cope with and deal with. You're not alone and try and remember that and keep in touch.

Regards
Rachael xx

booch007 responded:
Oh Lily...

I didn't see this post before I answered your second reach out...

I knew you were in a dark place.

Listen, go to a large teaching facility. You will have to travel a bit, but worth the time. You have to get a good fit with your doctors. It really is a must. That validation is part of the medicine to be better.

Pain management, physiatry (phyical medicine and rehab), I see neurology (myofascial area) and rheumotology....these depts all care for this type of patient. THEY SEE HUNDREDS. You will have little issue. Call a tertiary/ trauma ceneter hospital in your area.....I drive 45 minutes to see my doc. My local doc 5 minutes away has never delt with my issues and I hardly even share it, he knows neuro follows me and he knows my meds.

I know he is not a good fit for this, (he is no good at dermatology problem either) but he is a good doctor. They aren't good at everything.

My heart goes out to you. From today start my change over path....no more artificial sweeteners, water only and plenty of it, lean and green. You eat all green things...any vegatable that is green and good meats. NO Processed junk....

This was the first thing the physiatrist told me when I was so close to leaving....in 2-3 weeks I finally saw a change in the ability to stretch my muscles. he told me it will take 60 days to change my body chemistry and thatw a our goal, I was screwed up and he could fix it a bit. HE DID.

I share this with you, I paid 65.00 a visit to learn this.

To this day i still eat green (antioxidants are loaded in these) and I still drink ONLY WATER. no pop no teas....1 coffe and the water all day.

Takes alot of perseverence to straighten out this mess.....we are here with you. Good luck ! Nancy B

Helpful Tips

For All our new members
Welcome all new members, I want you to understand how important it is to be o.k. with coming here to lift your spirits and release ... More
Was this Helpful?
368 of 395 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.