Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Fibromyalgia pain relief
ToonaGirl posted:
I am wondering if anyone has tried creatine monohydrate to relieve muscle pain of the fibromyalgia and how much.

Anon_2912 responded:
I have never heard of it.

booch007 responded:
If I am not mistaken Creatine is used in muscle building with exercise? I am not a fan of it, and I took it from my sons when they were going to start using it.....

I haven't seen it here as a plan of care for us. Did you just think of trying it, see it somewhere? Did someone say it helped???
Hmmm

I am not a fan. Ask Dr P if you need medical input on this. Post it to him. Nancy B

ToonaGirl replied to booch007's response:
Thanks. It is is for muscle building with exercise. I was talking to a body-builder about the implementation of it in the muscles. He said that it hydrated the muscles. I thought it might help keep the muscle healthier and lessen the pain. I have been using it for a week - just a tablet a day (2.5 g).
The only exercise I can do without worsening my joints is water aerobics and I have noticed I can seem to be able to work in the water without as much pain in my arms. It is important for me to be able to keep up an exercise routine - not to 'buff' up', but to improve and maintain health. I think it is too early to know if it is really having an effect.
Thanks for the suggestion to ask Dr P. I'm new to this 'discussion' thing and didn't realize that was available.
CM

ToonaGirl responded:
Thanks anyway. I was given this idea by a body-builder and hoped that a small dose might help my muscles improve/maintain health and strength and possibly decrease the pain. Time will tell.

I can't seem to figure out how to post a question directly to Dr P. Can you give me some guidance?
CM

booch007 responded:
Just make anew post with Dr P in the heading. Click up there on there orange button POST and hit discussion....the ehading Dr P Question? And then type the story to him...

Good luck! NancyB

Mark Pellegrino, MD responded:
Hi ToonaGirl,

I saw you were trying to reach me. Hello!

I wish I could tell you my patients with fibro who tried creatine, or ribose reported significant improvement, but that hasn't been the case. Body builders and weight lifters will tell you certain supplements help them, but I've not seen any convincing medical data that supplementing creatine helps the muscles in any way. Nor have I seen that people with fibro lack or need extra creatine.

If a person is eating properly and getting key amino acids from proteins (building blocks for muscles), I believe the muscles will repair themselves and get bigger in someone who exercises regularly or lifts weights.

So eating properly and making sure one has a balanced diet with proper proteins seems to be the key to repairing/restoring our muscles and other body parts.

Let us know how you do with your trial.

Dr. P

Thank you. Apparently, he saw I was trying to contact him and sent a response.
CM

ToonaGirl replied to Mark Pellegrino, MD's response:
Dr. P,
Thanks for noticing and responding to my post. I actually don't think the creatine is helping me. At first, I thought I noticed a difference, but must have been having a better few days. Now that time is over. But, I am still trying to be diligent with my water aerobics and eat properly. Right now that is the best I can do for myself.
CM

Helpful Tips

For All our new members
Welcome all new members, I want you to understand how important it is to be o.k. with coming here to lift your spirits and release ... More
Was this Helpful?
360 of 387 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.