Skip to content
GOING THROUGH WITHDRAWAL
Stirrings posted:
Hi. I'm new here, but so not new to fibromyalgia. I've had it for 20 years. My doctor calls it advanced stage. ? I was on loratab 10 and Klonipin for years. I got sick and missed a few doses and went delirious. I was in ICU for a week and in the psych ward for 10 days. Just wondering if anyone else has gone through the same thing.

I don't take anything for pain now except ibuprofen or Tylenol. I am very depressed and in a lot of pain. My Pastor is counseling me, but I just don't know. I'm so tired. I have so many things wrong with me I just don't think I can make it.

xperky responded:
Stirrings, you sound so depressed. Please call for help as soon as you can. A good doctor can help you with your depression, anxiety, and your FM pain! There are tools out there to help you.

It is dangerous to suddenly stop those medicines, so that might explain what happened to you.

Take baby steps for now. You are having trouble now, but things will get better with proper treatment.
With Compassion,
Margaret

booch007 responded:
Good morning,

I am so sorry this is so difficult a time.

You know we don't have people in the ICU for a week unless something is really going on. Your sickness is what probably had you there and being in ICU can make you psychotic and sleep deprived and sensory overloaded and had pushed you to the psych people.

So in saying that, it was like "the perfect storm". Please don't try and do this with just Motrin, as it is sounding like you are not good enough, you are suffering. Get to the doctor and change your meds.

All that time you managed on a small amount of coverage....pain is very depressing and limiting, it is obvious via this computer that you need help. Please find a doc to speak with, the pastor is a great shoulder but the dragon is a devil in the hold he has on you.

Yes, many can get through this with little help, but 20 years and you know you in this amount of time. Get to the doctor please and add something in here. I found savella so helpful, others cymbalta......you never really used a chemical changing meds for pain. Any in the Seratonin and norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor groups may be of such benefit to you.

OK, you had a big bump in the road, but please don't think it was all about your meds...it really could have been bigger then that and the hospitalization prompted alot of the issues you developed. Fear and stress can do alot to a person.

I have seen many an ICU person tip into pyschosis.....you are amoung many. Please talk to the doc for help.

Hugs from me, Nancy B

fibroinsd responded:
I do hope you will carefully read what Nancy B. has said...

A little something like Cymbalta made all the difference for me...don't try to do it alone...ask for help...I would think if you had been in the psych ward, they would have suggested a few things..but you have to ask for help...I know these days it isn't easy to get the help you need...but keep trying..it is there.

cece
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional !- Mary Englebright

Stirrings replied to fibroinsd's response:
Thanks Cece:). I am better today. My dr. Has me on welbutrin, Seroquel and lyrica. I told him I needed help and he doubed my dose of welbutrin from 150mg to 300 mg. I can't really tell about the lyrica. I might be out of my mind in pain without it, but it's still pretty bad. Frankly, right now I'm afraid to make any changes. Had a kidney infection this week which brought on major fibro flare. Two days later and my sister said I should be better. She just doesn't get it! The psych ward gave me promise, but with no insurance I could not follow up after release. I went through the rest of withdrawal on my own. 4weeks and no help for it. Rough! I would not wish this on anyone. I have hope today though. My promise is in Jesus:) Blessings! Annie

Stirrings replied to booch007's response:
I appreciate the encouragement Nancy. My dr has me on Lyrica, Welbutrin and Seroquel. He doubled the Welbutrin( why am I on that?) fom 150mg to 300mg. The lyrica is not controlling the pain, but the loratabs began controlling me. I know I need a new dr. But changing is so hard. And it's hard to find one who treats fibro. I am without insurance and without much income at this time. My dragon seems huge. And mean. Thanks for the encouragement.

Do you work in ICU? My potassium and calcium bottomed out, but my pulse and bp were crazy. I had to learn to speak again. I'm having to learn how to behave in society again. It's so strange. My ears still ring loudly and my vision is messed up

You know what my husband said when I got home from the hospital? You hurt me really bad, but I'm going to forgive you. Lol, now I am going to have to find a way to forgive him!

Yeah, we should have fun when we can:). I will one day..again. I have hope today. That is good. Godspeed!

Annie

Stirrings replied to xperky's response:
Margaret, thanks for your compassion:). Sometimes I just feel lie my life is over. I hope I will get proper treatment, but it hasn't been my experience. I don't have insurance and my husband is disabled. I cannot get disability because I never worked. I was in a traumatic car accident in which I broke both my legs, my jaw, my breast bone and I just never fully recovered. I am 54, 55in Feb, and I hope to get Medicade soon. I just don't seem to have the mental capacity to get help. Does that make sense? But, like you said, baby steps. My dr increased the Welbutrin. Guess I'll see. I go back in a month. I'm dealing with a sick husband and he too is depressed and is in a lot of pain. He's on Medicare,but still won't get help! So what does xperky mean? You are extra perky or you don't like perky peeps? Silly, but it makes me wish I could perk me some good, dark coffee. Mmmmmm! Lol! Can't drink coffee! How is our fibro?

Thanks again Margaret. I have some hope today. That is enough. God bless you:)

Annie

xperky replied to Stirrings's response:
Nice to hear from you, Annie. It does sound like you will feel better with time, since you do have some pretty good medicines going for you now. I was worried you didn't have anything at all, but it's good to know you are getting a little help there.

It must be difficult with both you and your spouse feeling bad. That probably adds to your stress level too.

I call myself xperky because I used to be perky before FM...LOL!
With Compassion,
Margaret

Stirrings replied to xperky's response:
Well, I feel foolish! I should have gotten that xperky thing Margaret:). I use do be called Tigger because I was so bouncy. It was short lived, lol.

How long have you had fibro?

Finally. Sleep. See ya:)

Annie

booch007 replied to Stirrings's response:
Good Morning Annie,

Yes I worked in the ICU for all of my career (until injury) and was the charge nurse of our Medical Center here in NY. My area is Cardiology but when people are sick all the other issues in their lives join them in the bed I care for.

So, I am still a fan of using psychiatry to get you medicaid help. The syptoms of ears and vision changes sounds like your meds, as side effects, you may have tremors too.
You need to tell the doctor.

Seroquel is useful for a few things but psychosis is the best. Wellbutrin is in that seratonin family I spoke of....so good there, and they can be together, just watch how much (doses). Some doctors feel more is better and it just gets you in lala land.

There is hope....now in NY we have different rules then in other states so I am at a loss of a real avenue of help for you, but I definetely see psych as your key to care. No income and mental disease sets you up for trouble, so they (social workers and womens shelters have all the paper work) Any women resource centers in your area?

As far as the DH goes...yes YOU HAVE TO FORGIVE, but HE NEEDS TO BE EDUCATED.

Once you get a doc and settled he needs to be spoken with by a Doctor or Nurse Practioner to enlighten him of the seriousness of these issues. We all look fine, but it is so not true.

I wish you well, keep us in the loop...........Nancy B

1wareaglefan replied to Stirrings's response:
Annie, I was very touched by your post. It sounds like you have been through many struggles, and I'm very sorry.

I, too, am glad your doctor has you on some meds. You do sound much better today. I agreed with Nancy's view of what may have happened. That made a lot of sense to me. We're lucky to have her here to add her expertise from a nurse's perspective.

I also understand somewhat your feelings about your husband and what he said. I recently had a total knee replacement, and for the first 3 wks., my husband didn't give me what I needed from him during that time. It was a horribly painful experience, and I needed his compassion and kindness, but he seemed to be going through his own struggles with it.....not at all helpful for me!

Anyway, I pray for God's blessings for you and that the meds will help you feel much better. I also pray for your husband to be more understanding and supportive.

Take care....Elizabeth

Stirrings replied to 1wareaglefan's response:
Thank you for your prayers Elizabeth. I am in mega pain today. Overdid yesterday. You'd think by now I would know better. But I have a borderline personality disorder and I give too much of myself.

Sorry to hear of your knee issues and your mistreatment by your husband. Sometimes I think we actually train them to think the way they do because of our strength. Doctors are saying we have a low tolerance for pain. I beg to differ! I need total knee replacement too. But I can't afford the surgery with no insurance. Plus it scares me. I keep thinking my health is so bad, would I recover? How on earth did you manage

Still struggling with depression and severe ringing in my ears. At least I'm not thinking of cutting myself anymore. I really hate that.

I have a strong faith in God. But the pain is so bad and I just wonder where He is in all this. I have degenerative disk disease in my lower back and it has gotten really bad.

I am so grateful for everyone's encouragement. I can't begin to say how much it helps. I know I need psychiatric care, but it just isn't going to happen for me. I turn 55 in Feb. maybe Medicade? Obamacare? Our state is undecided as to whether it will embrace this plan even though the federal government will foot the bill. So many folks are against it. Maybe they are right. Having never been able to hold a job, I couldn't qualify for disability income. My husband gets disability so I can't get Medicade. I'm one of the ones who fell through the cracks. I have a lousy dr. And he is the only care I've had since 2006. Well, except for the hospital. Anyway, I believe that is the source of my depression.

Ok. I'll quit whining now. I know you and the rest of you guys hurt too. My heart goes out to anyone with fibro. People just don't know....

Hope you are having a "good" day. Everybody drink your water. It's good for your muscles!

Lovingly, Annie

Stirrings replied to booch007's response:
Hi Nancy B. thanks for your input. Im trying to get all my info together so I can go to Social Security. Perhaps I can qualify for Medicade now. Ther e is a Social worker there who works for the Alabama Area on Aging. I know I need to follow through on that, but I just can't seem to function. I did find my birth certificate today, lol! Perhaps I could call my hospitals community services?

Did you get hurt at work? I can't begin to say how dedicated and wonderful my ICU nurses were! It takes a gift to be able to fit that bill. We're you hurt bad? I've been hurt all my life. My heart goes out to you.

Take care Nancy, and thanks again.

Annie

Helpful Tips

For All our new members
Welcome all new members, I want you to understand how important it is to be o.k. with coming here to lift your spirits and release ... More
Was this Helpful?
370 of 397 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.