Skip to content
Sleeping through the night
hotairballoon10 posted:
Any suggestions???? I wake up between 1:15 am and 1:30 am almost every night. Sometimes I can get back to sleep and sometimes not without taking supplements.

I appreciate your feedback.

SilverDove7 responded:
Have you talked to your Dr about this? You may need to have a sleep study done to see if you need a cpap machine.

Sabrina

Anon_10089 replied to SilverDove7's response:
Unfortunately fractured sleep is a huge part of FM for many of us. I have taken something to help me sleep for the last 5 years. Currently, I take melatonin--9 to 12 milligrams.

I've tried some other meds, OTC and prescription and melatonin actually works the best for me. For non-medical ways to improve your sleep, google "sleep hygiene".

Randm2220 responded:
Hey hotair,

I take a rx for sleep. I take trazadone every night. 150mg. It helps but I still will wake a couple times a night. Fractured sleep is a big part of fibro. I tried the melatonin, but it didn't work. Also tried ambien before the trazadone. That didn't help at all. Before sleep meds I was only getting about 2 to 3 hours of sleep a night. No fun...

Hope you find what works for you as sleep is important. Your body uses that time to repair itself.

Kim

hotairballoon10 replied to Anon_10089's response:
I have taken 3mg. I think that melatonin taken for a long time is not good. It was suggested to take Lyrica and see if that helps. I am concerned about the side effects. I am glad that you can sleep. Thank you.

hotairballoon10 replied to Randm2220's response:
Hi Kim:
Getting 2 to 3 hours is not enough as you know. I will ask my doctor about these and see.

Thank you,
Kathy

hotairballoon10 replied to SilverDove7's response:
Hi Sabrina:

I have and we are currently thinking about putting me on Lyrica for a week and see what happens. A sleep study would also be a thought.

Anon_10089 replied to hotairballoon10's response:
You could try taking more melatonin (but do your own research).

As a whole it's kind of frowned on to permanently take any kind of sleep aid. The thought is that your body will decrease its production of "sleep" chemicals.

I see the logic in that but I have not slept well . . . ever, even as a kid or a teenager. At this point, my doctor and I agree that for whatever reason, my body has probably never produced the right balance of chemicals to make me sleep properly. So I'll probably take a sleep aid for the rest of my life. So far, I do okay on melatonin.

I'm not trying to convince you of anything, just giving you my story. Yes, there are some risks in taking sleep aids on a permanent basis. For me, I've decided that getting sleep outweighs those risks.

I hope you find something that works for you. Getting more and better sleep can go a long way in helping with pain.

fibrofran17 replied to Anon_10089's response:
I researched melatonin before I started it and found that for those of us that take antidepressants, they delete the melatonin in the brain and it is not replaced! So it makes sense that if we continually take antidepressant we should continually restore the melatonin too? So I started the melatonin, only 3mgs, and it has helped tremendously, 3 months so far. It is a natural chemical in the brain that regulates sleep so we need it. Just me 2 cents. Feel good to All, fibrofran

thenikki64 responded:
I don't have much to add to what everyone else has stated. I take 75 mgs Trazadone and 5 mgs Flexeril at night. It makes it harder to get started in the mornings, but once I'm up and about, I feel fine.

Ambien used to work for me. Gave me weird dreams, did some strange things--sleep walk, coversations I don't remember, etc.

Fractured sleep is one of our crosses to bear, but there are lots of good things to try, so give it a go. Exercise helps me, too.
Pam in Savannah

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
471 of 546 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.