Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
muscle relaxers
ashley933247 posted:
please give me some input on muscle relaxers. if they work which are best? i take neurontin paxil xanax mobic norco along with physical therapy

Randm2220 responded:
Hello Ashley,

I take cyclobenzaprine at night. It does help. If I am having a really bad pain day, I sneak one in during the day. I don't wake up in terrible pain. I still have pain upon waking, but it has diminished it quite a bit.

I hope you find relief!

Kim

thenikki64 responded:
I take flexeril (cyclobenzaprine) at night as well, but if I am cramping badly, I'll use tizanidine (zanaflex). It is more sedating for me. They both help a good bit.
Pam

ashley933247 replied to Randm2220's response:
thank you for your info!

ashley933247 replied to thenikki64's response:
thank you for your input, flexeril put me to sleep. i had them after a car accident last year.

schrode replied to ashley933247's response:
I take 5mg of Valium at bedtime and sometimes 1 during the day. It works for anxiety and as a muscle relaxer. Mobic and Xanax did not help me. Of course, I am also on a few other meds.

Soft hugs,

Deb

Mark Pellegrino, MD responded:
Hi Ashley,

Muscle relaxants can decrease pain in people with fibro. I have found that muscle relaxants do not really decrease muscle spasms or "relax" muscles, because the painful areas still have palpable spasms. Rather, the medicine appears to help by a central neurological mechanism that reduces muscle pain.

Medicines in this family include Flexeril, Robaxin, Skelaxin, and Soma. The most common side effect is drowsiness. If drowsiness occurs, the medicine should be taken only in the evening if it helps, so it doesn't interfere with driving or concentration. The drowsiness side effect may be useful at night if it helps improve sleep.

Medicines in the antispasticity category can be considered "muscle relaxants" and be used to treat pain. These meds, ie Baclofen, Zanaflex, can help spasticity in those with certain conditions that result in pathological increased muscle tone. Fibro doesn't cause this, but these meds seem to help some with fibro by working on central nerve pathways to reduce pain.

I hope this info helps!

Dr. P

stimpyjennifer replied to Mark Pellegrino, MD's response:
Im currently on zanafex and lyrica which has not helped I have many times called pain management and they havent done anything to help me with my FM, Im currently at a loss. I cant even go walk around the grocery store without it setting it off. Im not sure what to do at this point. Maybe there is something you can do to actually help me.

Wolfsong452 replied to thenikki64's response:
I also take the Flexeril, I take it daily at bedtime.

sadly, when I'm having a serious flare, muscle spasms etc. I call it the heebie jeebies. I have nothing to take. I was told that I could take 1/2 a tablet, but, it doesn't help.
right now I"m having one of them, talking about squirming and shoulders being pulled back, sometimes wanting to jump up and shake my arms, stamping my feet, sheesh,

I do take Norco, but right now I"m completely out

Fibro_stole_my_life replied to stimpyjennifer's response:
I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia about 18 months ago and have tried just about every medication out there. I have terrible flare ups almost daily. Like you, just going to the grocery store is enough to send me into one. I have had to purchase a walker for the bad ones that leave me in so much pain in my legs that I cant walk without it. I have an appointment with a pain management doctor next month and have my fingers crossed. I am currently taking cymbalta, gabapentin, morphine ER,and flexeril at night. I also take ativan to help with my anxiety, it also helps to fight back the tears on my emotional days. Would love to hear any tips that might help, I want my life back, even if its only a small piece.

crystalgreeneyes replied to Fibro_stole_my_life's response:
Hi. Sorry you are having such a hard time. I am not taking anything for pain. Nothing helps but I do need to sleep of course, so I take a sleeping pill for that. I also take .5 mg of Ativan also at night. I get about 5 hrs. with this combination. I was previously taking 1 mg of Ativan but I cut it to half and I stopped the almost all day, crying at the slightest thing behaviour that I was experiencing before. An anti-depressant that also eases anxiety would be ideal but won't help alleviate the pain like Cymbalta is supposed to. Just be careful with the benzos. because they can increase depression in those who are already susceptible. I have had plenty of experience with this. My mood is much better but my pain is really bad. I don't know what to do anymore either. I have tried so many drugs and they have mostly just made me feel incredibly ill and haven't done a lot for the pain. There are some studies that suggest that opiates such as morphine do not relieve fibro pain.
Massages by properly trained professional will help (I would go all the time but I can't afford it) Physical therapy, heating pads, hot baths. The people here will give you lots of ideas.
Wish you all the best.

angelkidwiler responded:
I take Flexral I take 1 during the dayand 2 at bed time. It helps just enough to allow me to sleep for a few hours. But it does not take the pain all the way away. I hope this helps.

mnjeepguy responded:
I do much like Kim. I have Flexeril (cyclobenzaprine) for my back, but if I have a rough day that may ruin the next one, I take one before bed. If I am a disaster before then, like after work, I may take one after work and one before bed. Valium works very well too, my wife took them for her back as Flexeril gave her migraines. I do the minimum meds to get by, doing so does not ensure no pain, but a day I can get through. Eliminating all pain is not the goal, just making it through life.

Helpful Tips

For All our new members
Welcome all new members, I want you to understand how important it is to be o.k. with coming here to lift your spirits and release ... More
Was this Helpful?
368 of 395 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.