Skip to content
Fibromyalgia is life changing
An_246451 posted:
I was so relieved to have an actual name for this pain, I cried in the doctors office once he told me. All others I'd been seen by dismissed me as just being depressed and here's your RX on the way out. I knew the pain was real. After living with this deep, sharp pain for over 20 years, I still have no family support. My friends have all abandoned me because I just can't make it to thier events. Even a shopping trip with girlfriends is too much. My own husband just says, well I have pain, too, but you don't hear me complaining about it! So now, I can't find support or comfort anywhere. I't been clear I'm on my own. Have been on all sorts of meds, Cymbalta made me literraly insane, Lyrica, a similar situation. Selexa didn't touch the pain. Trazodone made me feel hazy and separate from my body..wierd. I'm challenged by what I can take because most of them don't mix with my epliepsy med. There has been a long time spent staying in bed, just so I could be ready for work. My grown children have no idea. I've been in councelling, which, being a private person, I hated it. My issue, not theirs. Anyway, I just lost my job and at my age and in this state will be a huge hurdle. I want to be that happy lady I once was, but it's so hard! I cry alot and I've isolated myself and am off my fibro meds now because I now have no insurance and had to pick which meds were more necessary. Not trying to be a bummer, just don't have a soul to talk to who understands and found this place after searching. What meds seem to work for you all? I know everyone is different, just want to try something when I talk to my Dr, once I'm on Cobra. I'm definately grieving my old life before Fibro. Best of luck to you all!

xperky responded:
So sorry you've had all this happen to you. It is so hard to lose a job these days, especially when older, wiser, and matured...but with FM pain and fatigue.

Personally, I've found Tramadol to relieve pain without drowsiness! I also get pain relief from a muscle relaxer at bedtime. Both can be found at lower prices at places like Costco, with a prescription. I even bought them without insurance when I was in your boat, and they were affordable.

This is the time to reach out to your old friends and see if anyone might know of a job or have some compassion for you. Be sure to hang out here and look around the Tips section.

Take some time to absorb your loss. Then get up and fight for the best life you can get!
With Compassion,
Margaret

Randm2220 responded:
I completely understand! I too have recently lost my job due to fibro. Thankfully my DH has insurance. wee do get our meds through the va, so it's not too exspensive.

Finding the right med combo takes awhile. Going on three years for me and still no right combo. Veery frustrating.

I am sorry that people in your life don't nderstand. Has your husband gone to the doctor with you? Mine did and that's when he finally understood what it is that I am dealing with. I had the doctor exsplain everything to him. He is very supportive and always goes the extra mile to lessen any potential over doings. Lol. I over do all the time.

I am glad you found this site. There is lots of support here! I love it. You can vent or ask questions and there is a doctor on staff to answer questions too.

Feel better!

Kim

crystalscats responded:
I got sick towards the end of one job. We were told the plant would be closing and moving to new location due to company downsizing. Yippe! Shortly after got sick. Went to doc, after tests sent me to Rhuemy doc. Said Lupus, soft connective tissue disease as well. Got second opinion. Liked new doc better too. Said Lupus and FMS. Great job ending soon and sick. My supervisor there too was great and so understanding when I told him. He worked with me.

Ok, so out of work for 6 months Cobra affordable with new things from govn. Started new job 6 months later, one week into it flare from hell, both Lupus and FMS. So my job performance was affected. NOT understanding like last boss. I was forced to take their bene's after 90 days. They sucked compared to my old bene's and cost a lot more. Well after six months there laid off. Could not afford Cobra this time. So no medical coverage.

My new Rhuemy gave me samples Savella and discount on office benefits. Helped me greatly. I now have to pay myself for Tramadol and Flexeril. Again doc helps with other meds. I go to clinic for diabetes meds, free.

However now I have been unemployed for just over a year. I go on interviews, love resume until realize age on interview. They don't even bother to call back now. My doc asks me all the time if I am unemployed and so much pain how do I expect to work? Last job laid off from it. Well have to explain to him I cannot collect unemployment (my only money) and apply for disability. I will have no money coming in while I wait, which I understand can take some time. So I am caught in the viscous circle.

However I am lucky I have good friends, spouse and son. My friends know what I used to be like and how I am now. They invite knowing will not always go, but still invite. When do go they will make me go home when see I am overdoing it or look tired. My son and spouse help too. Other family members different story. You know, the you don't look sick. But also know have had R/A since teen and think it is that.

I think we all grieve our old life. It takes a while to accept it. I have learned to accept and cope. I am in pain every day, some days better than others. But I am STILL ALIVE, and thank God for that every day.

Crystal

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
471 of 546 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.