Skip to content
How did your symptoms start?
fairtinuviel posted:
I'm wondering how everyone's symptoms came on and in what order, curious to see if there is a trend. Tracing back I have had fibro for about 6 months, over which time I have been diagnosed with vit D deficiency, anxiety and depression, but as my symptoms progressed and tests came back negative, a round of cymbalta seemed to prove my diagnosis was fibro. I started with fatigue, went to muscle weakness, then slowly acquired cold sensitivity, brain fog, morning stiffness, sleep without feeling rested and finally pain. What were everyone elses experiences? Thanks in advance for sharing.

maggiethedoglover responded:
Hi there!

Wish I could tell you exactly when my symptoms began but it seems like they have been slowly encroching on me all of my life. They did come to a head about 6 years ago. It took another year for the diagnosis. What order????....sure couldn't tell you there.

Hugs to you,

maggie

Life is a shipwreck but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats - Voltaire

1wareaglefan responded:
As well as I remember, I first had anxiety, then depression. Next came pain in shoulders and upper back. Then the pain began to spread to other places, along with fatigue and morning stiffness.

booch007 responded:
First was hand numbness bilaterally and I was worked up and down with no diagnosis, I worked nights so fatigue wasn't even a thought....BUT the change came with morning stiffness and inabilty to get moving....gets better and then bad again started...

I journaled everything to try and figure myself out. Started changing things to make my life livable. Almost 8 years without help......then I met the right doc and I never gave up changing doctors and lokin gto get a label and a plan for myself.

Good luck on this journey, it can get better never complete fix, but so much better.

((((hugs)))) Nancy B

thenikki64 responded:
Mine started with pain in my right upper back, between my spine and shoulder blade. I found a chiropractor who after 2 treatmetns, made the pain almost disappear for 5 years (remission?). When it came back, nothing worked, then came the hand numbness (2 carpal tunnel surgeries later, hands still numb), and then the leg numbness (neurologist says to me, "yes, so seem to have some nerve conduction abnormalities in this right leg, but I think you need to see a psychiatrist more than a neurologist"). Two years of NO doctors, leg is really bad--couldn't feel my foot at all, kept tripping--finally find a neuro who says, "You are positive 16 out of 18 triggers, you've got fibromyalgia, let's do this". God bless him because now the leg is better, the hands come and go, the shoulder pain is ever present but manageable.

Just recently I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis in my hands. All my tests for RA were negative, but an MRI of my hand showed serious erosion of the joints. Gotta say, if ya'll are having hand pain and your autoimmune tests were negative, get an MRI of that hand or whatever joint. I have to see a rheumatologist in a couple of weeks, and I am ready! This hand is really limiting me.

My best advice is to keep going to doctors. As big a pain as that is, eventually you may find the one or two that can help you!
Pam in Savannah

dollbug responded:
Hello and welcome....MiMi in NC....I started with carpal tunnel in my right hand....I was working and did computer work...I went to the doctor and it took forever for any of them to figure out what was going on with me...I took several different kinds of medicine...went to physical therapy for a while...and was still having issues...finally I was sent to have the EMG...in Dec....and they continued to treat me for a while longer...I ended up having my first carpal tunnel surgery in July 2004...I also had problems with my feet...and then started having issues with my shoulder...extreme pain...I ended up and could not even wash my hair or brush my teeth...

I then went to see a neurosurgeon who did some tests on me and then met with me to provide what was going on...he told me I had multiple issues...and wanted to know which one that I wanted to address first...I explained to him that I needed the shoulder pain fixed first...well...this took cervical surgery on me...(messed up discs in my neck)....I had parathyroid surgery about 6 months before...so I had just recovered from it...the doctor had to cut me from the middle of my throat to the left side of it...well the neurosurgeon explained to me that he was going to have to go into the same center scar but he would have to go to the right side...great...so now I would have a scar in the opposite direction...

I did ask him how long this would take me to get some relief and he told me that if he did his job correctly that I would get *instant relief*....(this was not exactly what I was thinking though)...but he was exactly right....I did get instant relief...I was totally shocked...I came through the surgery fine...but I was really very sick in the recovery room...I had to stay overnight in the hospital...but the doctor told me that I had done really well...he was worried about me having this surgery due to my age...

This doctor later also did elbow surgery on me and carpal tunnel again on my right hand...I have had 7 hand surgeries (2 of which was for broken wrists)...and the others were carpal tunnel....

It took me a very long time to get to the point where I was not in a lot of pain....I have tried several different kinds of medicines and have not found any which really helped me cope any better without causing side effects...

So I now take vitamins and supplements and do other things which help me to *control my FM pain*....but I have found nothing at all to help with the chronic fatigue...I continue to try to find something though...as I do think there has to be something out there that will help this...the fatigue is actually worse more me now than the pain...

I think that when I first got sick that I had multiple health issues going on with me...and it was difficult for the doctor to figure out just how to help me....he seemed to think that I was just depressed...and this is what he was treating me for...(which was not helping me at all)...

I continue to tell people that IF what the doctor is doing for you is not making a positive difference in your life...then it is time to go back and speak to the doctor about it....some doctors have a very hard time in knowing how to *address health issues* if it is not inside the box that they are use to....

We, FMers, are not like the *common people* with normal things going on with us, for the most part...we have to keep on keeping on...until we find something that will help us cope better...it helps if you have a doctor who understands and treats people with FM...\

I would encourage you to be sure and ask your doctor to check your Vitamin D level...which is so very important for a lot of people...low Vitamin D can cause some of us to have additional pain..and it can also affect other illnesses as well...

Be sure and check out the info under *tips* and *resources* to the right of this page...there are lots of good *tools and tips* that you might try...

Take care and good luck..

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

My personal exchanges are Vitamin D and Pain and Wrath of the Dragon....if you care to visit..

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
471 of 546 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.