Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Weight gain from using Lycria (Pregabalin)
Kaz163 posted:
Hi,

Has anyone else had problems with weigh gain whilst on Lyrica? I have put on almost a stone (6kg) in 4months. This extra weight is causing me more pain. I was told by doctor to expect 4lbs (2.5Kg) addition but not a stone (6kg). I go swimming and have not changed my diet. Has anyone tried Gabapentin does that make you gain weight. Please help I am desparate to stop gaining weight. My doctor will not see me until September...I can't wait that long for an answer.

Thanks

Take the Poll

Weight gain with Lyrica (Pregabalin)
Weight gain with Gabapentin
  • No weight gain on Lyrica
  • Yes weight gain Lyrica
  • No weight gain on Garbapentin
  • Yes weight gain Garbapentin
vote
View Poll Results

Anon_2912 responded:
I did, but I needed the weight gain. However, much was fluid retention....So doctor took me off of it....

Gabapetin did the same thing. I developed swelling of the ankles really bad...

But once off of it, weight dropped back to MY normal.

Kaz163 replied to Anon_2912's response:
Thanks Anon_2912,

Glad you went back to your normal weight. May be I have fluid retention too, I'll check when I eventually see my doctor. Did you get any other medications instead of the Pregabalin and Gabapentin?

Cheers

Kaz163

Anon_2912 replied to Kaz163's response:
Yes I had all kinds given to me: Tramadol, Cymbalta, Flexril & some others. That was about 3yrs ago. After one year of medications that made me retain fluid, mentally foggy & unable to think clearly I stopped ALL of them.

I got so tired mentally & FOR ME ONLY, they did more harm mentally then they helped physically.

I have to work & drive so I just take OTC now a days. B12, Advil. I think for me it was not worth the mental part the pills played.

tazmewin responded:
Gained over 65 lbs, which is making my Degenerative Osteo-arthritis worse, so now I have both to deal with and it is horrible. Doctor has now sent in forms to put me on Permanent Disability as I am averaging almost 1 day/wk off work.

crazytaurenswife responded:
I tried replying a few days ago, but my computer was having issues. I've been on gabapentin for several months and haven't noticed any weight gain that can't be attributed to something else. Most of my prescriptions have weight gain as a side effect and I'm in the process of losing quite a bit.

tlp2815 responded:
Yes, I have gained about 25 lbs while on Lyrica. I have been on it for about a year. I eat as I normally would so I know it is this medication. It is one of the downfalls of it. I am currently trying a new medication Topomax and am off of the Lyrica as I think the Lyrica stopped working. Wish me luck.

Kaz163 replied to tlp2815's response:
Thanks for the replies.

My consultants appointment has been moved again , fed up just want a medication that works, even if it only dumbs down the pain thats something, and doesn't mean I will put more weight on. I'm trying a Low Carb diet to see if this has any effect... hope so.

My worst pain today is my should so making typing difficult, feels like I have dislocated it but I have not...

Have a good day everyone, lets a smile and not let it get us down.

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
460 of 535 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.