UNCOMFORTABLE BEDS
babakaren posted:
Does anyone have a problem with their bed being uncomfortable? Some nights I can't seem to find a spot in the bed that doesn't cause pain on my hips,shoulders,elbows or knees. I've tried toppers and stuff and it doesn't help. Does anyone have a super comforable bed? If so please let me know what kind. I could really use more than an hour and a half of sleep several times a night.

dollbug responded:
Hello and welcome....MiMi in NC...I wanted to comment to you about how I cope with this issue....since 2005 I have had to sleep in a recliner.....with pillows under me...when I first got sick I tried really hard to sleep in my bed...but in the morning I was so stiff that I could hardly get out of bed...I ended up having cervical (neck) surgery and parathyroid surgery...and I had to sleep in a prone position...

I now have a CatNapper Recliner....one of the best investments that I had ever made....I continue every now and then and try to sleep in my bed...but I am unable to do so...I can not breathe when I lay down and after several hours I begin to get very stiff and ache....it is not worth it for me to toss and turn all night and not be rested....the pillows I sleep on is what protects my joints...

I would like to encourage you to be sure and ask your doctor to check your Vitamin D level...which is really important for a lot of people these days...low Vitamin D can cause some of us to have additional pain and it can also affect other illnesses as well..

I would like to be able to afford one of the adjustable beds....but they are several thousand dollars...don't think I will be getting one anytime soon...although I think I might enjoy one...

I hope this helps....sorry that I really do not have a super comfortable bed that I could tell you about....I do hope though that if you find one...you will let all of us know..

Take care and good luck.

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

My personal exchanges are Vitamin D and Pain and Wrath of the Dragon....if you care to visit..

xperky responded:
I can't get comfy either. As soon as I settle on a position, an ache starts and I have to move again. Unfortunately, I've found our guest bed more comfy than our king size as it is less firm. Maybe the answer is in an inexpensive bed that is less firm. It's an expensive experiment to change beds though!
With Compassion,
Margaret

maggiethedoglover replied to xperky's response:
Hi All,

About 6 years ago, I bought a 2 inch, 4 pound density, memory foam topper for my king sized bed from Overstock.com It was $90. Shipping is $2.95. I absolutely love it! It made my bed so much more comfortable. It does get hot where you sleep, so I try to shift spots as it warms because I need to sleep on a cool bed and pillow.

I understand they do make toppers that are supposed to stay cool now, but I have no idea how they are.

Just last week, I checked the website and there were a number of toppers, most under $100 and all under $200. I recommend getting at least 4 pounds of density. It is still soft.

Hugs to everyone,

maggie

Life is a shipwreck but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats - Voltaire

thenikki64 responded:
Hi! Two years ago I made the investment for an adjustable Tempurpedic bed. Ours was very expensive because it is a king and is one of firmer mattresses. Tempurpedic has many different mattresses to choose from, some firmer, some softer and many price levels. I cannot say enough good things about ours. It is a Bella Fina Tempurpedic mattress, slightly firmer than their original mattress. I still cannot sleep on my bad side or my stomach, but when I lie on my back and slightly elevate my head and feet, it feels like I'm on a cloud just like the commercial says. This bed is warmer than others, so I added a topper that is supposed to keep you cool, and it does help.

If you have good credit, you can get 'same as cash' financing. We had 3 years to pay it off, but we paid it off early. Tempurpedics pretty much cost the same wherever you buy one. They do not have sales per se but do offer the financing. We have a chain store here called Mattress Firm who has every mattress Tempurpedic makes on the floor, so you can try them all out. Good luck!
Pam in Savannah

booch007 responded:
Good morning,

I slept in a recliner like Mimi for about a year and then slowly returned to the bed, then added a memory foam topper (as the fmily here suggested) and I have been in a good place ever since. TOUGH to go to hotels and travel as I am so used to the foam. I started with 3" and then on Overstock.com found a 6" system that is heaven....

Good luck. More money to change the whole mattress like a tempupedic or a special bed, Kohls sells these and with the 30% coupon you can get a good deal....Good luck, Nancy B

cwalker608 responded:
You are definitely not alone. I've found that the memory foam mattresses work really well for me. I started with a 4" topper that I got from Sam's. That helped quite a bit, but I still wasn't getting solid sleep. Two months ago, I bought a Simmons ComforPedic (Silver Moon) and it has been a godsend. I consistently sleep through the night and wake up with less pain. I even spend most evenings sitting on the bed because it's more comfortable than my sofa. It was pricey, but worth the investment.

I also tried the TempurePedic in the store. I loved it, but my husband didn't. And neither one of us wanted to pay that much money. The Simmons has been a good fit for both of us.

If you go mattress shopping, make sure that you take your time. Lay on the mattresses for a long time and don't let the salespeople rush you. I think we spent two hours in the store, and probably a good 20 minutes lying on the mattress that we finally bought.

Bellagirl31 responded:
I went and bought a Vera Wang pillow top mattress set that is divine when I was diagnosed. My trick is, is not to go and lay down until I am almost falling asleep sitting up. If I am just a wee bit tired and try laying down my body stiffens and no matter what bed you have you will hurt. I am thinking about trying out a memory foam bed. My parents have one but my only complaint is that they get extremely hot. The pressure as it curves to your body is nice though. I also put a pillow between my knees to keep the alignment of my body straight so I am not turned every which direction. Hopefully this tip helps.

tlp2815 responded:
I purchased a foam mattress. It was expensive but I have to tell you I can actually sleep on it and I was having alot of difficulty not only falling asleep but staying asleep with the pain from fibro. It did take some getting used to but it was totally worth it. I believe it is a Sleep Options brand. I did not see any difference in that brand and in the more expensive brands like the Temper Pedic. Hope this helps!