Skip to content
Painful Intercourse
An_246638 posted:
I know there are other posts about this but they aren't quite like my case so I just wanna see if it could be FM or if I should badger my gyno. This has only started recently. I've always had very VERY intense period cramps and the like but for the past 6 months or so sex has become very painful. Just the act of sex itself though. Once it stops the pain stops. I don't have an issue with dryness or anything like that either. And it's only sometimes, not every time I have sex. It feels similar to how my tender spots from FM feel. I just don't know why it would start now.

angelswife responded:
Fibro can affect everything---I get pains in different areas at different times. It will also settle in any area that is "weak" (previously injured).

I don't want to go into details of why it hurts for me. but I will say you are not the only one. Hope you can work out a solution. (((Hugs)))

fibrofran17 responded:
An, saw your post and want to add my experience. I am 61 and had absolutely horrific menstruations from 14 to 40, couldn't take it anymore and had a hysterectomy. Back in those days endometriosis was pretty unknown. Went through many docs and gave up. I lost a week of work every month, was very hard on my work life. Anyway, looking back now having fibro for a long time, I am positive that I had fibro back then as a teen, because the type of period pain is the same kind of pain as fibro. Only someone WITH fibro can understand that. Could it be that the intercourse pain is due to overgrown endometriosis outside your uterus, which is very common. Try a good gyno and get a good check up. Sending you my best wishes and compassion, fibrofran

An_246638 replied to fibrofran17's response:
Thank you both for your response, it makes me feel better knowing I'm not the only one with this problem. I'll get it checked out for sure.

jennagale76 responded:
I have the same problem, and sometimes it's not painful at all, while other times it's excruciating. I've always had normal periods, not too much cramping, and this started at the same time my fibro presented itself. Not sure why, but for me, it's definatley fibro related.

Bellagirl31 responded:
I have similar situations with my cycle but due to cysts on my ovaries the doctor put me on the shot which has ceased all cycles and massive pain. This has been a lifesaver as far as that is concerned. Intercourse I can't help you there. Since diagnosis and the fact I tend to twitch and lock up in my hands and feet in pain I haven't dared try to venture to that. I am learning to take care of me first. Talk to your doctor about the shot or Murena. They are both helpful in relieving some of the pain and things that come along with the cycle.

TaylorAilehsNash replied to Bellagirl31's response:
I'll make sure to ask about it. I have the greatest gyno ever as far as I'm concerned so I'm sure he'll do all he can. Don't think I could ever go to anyone else, if I move I'm taking him with me. lol

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
473 of 548 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.