Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    lisaj69 posted:
    Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
    Hi Lisa,

    I'm responding to bump this up so others can spot your post and offer their suggestions.
    We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. ~Joseph Campbell
    Anon_10089 replied to Caprice_WebMD_Staff's response:

    People here have different experiences with different kinds of doctors. Some have received a lot of help from rheumotologists, pain management doctors, or just their PCPs.

    It really comes down to which doctor takes your FM seriously, trusts you, and offers you treatment. Personally, I have found that most doctors do not know much about FM. I make sure to be really well researched when I go in and to already have in mind what I want to happen at that appointment. Thankfully, I have a doctor (my PCP) who does listen to me and has allowed me to choose my own course of treatment.

    Most of us go through a couple of doctors, at least, to find the right one. I hope you can find one that works for you!
    katmandulou responded:
    Anon is right, we do see different docs, and every case of FM is different. It looks like most of us rely on a combination of our PCP and rheumatologist. My PCP took me seriously from the start, and my rheumy - plus his awesome PA - knows his stuff. It's a partnership, the doc and me, and I'm glad my PCP recommended his practice.

    Call your local hospital or health referral agency and ask who they have that either specializes in or is very knowledgeable in FM and its treatment. And remember to come back and let us know how you're doing.

    jennagale76 responded:
    I see a pain management specialist.
    xperky responded:
    A rheumatologist to diagnose and treat FM. Plus, a good working relationship with your primary care doc. Good combo.
    With Compassion,
    Katz60 responded:
    In my town the Rhemotologist does not see Fibromyalgia patients. In fact I have not found any Dr's that do. My choice is a Pain Management Clinic or Neurologist. But you have to make sure that they cover Fibro and know how to treat it.
    Anon_2912 replied to Katz60's response:
    Where I live Rheum's do not see Fibro patients either.

    I do understand that they deal more with RA or diseases/inflammation of the joints/bones. Fibro (chronic pain) is not a disease according to the ones here.

    Hard to treat chronic pain. I would suggest your PCP or pain management.

    Helpful Tips

    For All our new members
    Welcome all new members, I want you to understand how important it is to be o.k. with coming here to lift your spirits and release ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    403 of 430 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.