Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Fibro and Psoriasis (would appreciate doctor's response also)
tnkarensc posted:
I am in my 4th year of fibromyalgia and everyday it seems I learn someting new. Now I discover that my inverse psoriasis is probably linked to the fibro. My psoriasis is on my inner thighs and spreads around the creases of my upper legs in on into my genital area. The pain is about a 9 everyday.

Has anyone experienced this and if so how has it turned out for you?

katmandulou responded:
I too have psoriasis. I've had it for years, and it gets worse when I'm stressed. My psoriasis isn't painful, mostly itchy and plan ugly. I have it on or near my elbows. Rheumy says its precursor to psoriatic arthritis.

At least PA has a celebrity talking about it. Some discussion here have said that what FM needs is a celebrity with it!
Lou

Anon_2912 responded:
No I have never had psoriasis.

I know people who have psoriasis but don't have Fibro.

In my opinon, it is not connected. Sometimes we just get things for no unkown reason.

Are bodies just "are"..

xperky responded:
Have you ever been to a rheumatologist and had this pain and psoriasis looked into?
With Compassion,
Margaret

debrabrooks1960 responded:
Hello tnkarensc, I just starting having a few spots of psoriasis on my face and legs. They showed up at the exact time I got Dx with FM. I never realized that it could be from FM. I am sorry to hear of your pain. My psoriasis is not painful, just ugly. Has your doctor prescribed anything for you? I am sorry I do not have any suggestions to help you.

Gentle hugs, Debbie
Your not over the hill until you are under the hill.

tnkarensc replied to debrabrooks1960's response:
According to the info I've received, because I have inverse psoriasis it is much more difficult to treat. Most topical treatments are to strong to treat inverse psoriasis when it is in the genital area. I am going to see a dermatologist and hope that there is more to do. Since it is a chronic condition I am pretty upset. Because of the location, wearing panties or certain styles of pants make the condition worse.

Thank you for your encouragement. I have 3 grown sons and have missed a couple of events because of the pain, but I'm not quite sure how to let them know what is wrong. My husband is very supportive, but it's nice to have encouragement from others.

tnkarensc replied to xperky's response:
I will be seeing a dermatologist. That was what was recommended. Until then trying some OTC stuff with not much luck so far.

Thank you for replying.

Mark Pellegrino, MD responded:
Hello,

Psoriasis does not seem directly linked to fibro, but one can certainly have both. There are some indirect relationships, however.

For example, many with psoriasis have psoriatic arthritis, a generalized inflammatory arthritis. Many with psoriatic arthritis can develop a reactive or secondary fibromyalgia. Thus, psoriasis and fibro are indirectly linked, in this situation.

Here's how I view this: If someone has an underlying autoimmune or inflammatory condition, both fibro and/or psoriasis can be "complications" of this condition. This isn't the same as saying psoriasis causes fibro, or everyone with psoriasis has fibro too.

I hope this helps.

Dr. P

hillbillieswife responded:
OMG, i have (had) the same condition. Your post sounds like something I would have written a few months back. My doctor gave me a topical cream, betamethasone .05, which i mixed along with ot jock itch (wierd for a woman) cream which really helped along with bendaryl from the itch. Mind you I have to refill the scrip 3 times and finally I'm feeling so much better.
Again, you are not alone and neither am I. Good luck!

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
471 of 546 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.