Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Pain on my left breast (especially on and near the nipple)
jaceyy88 posted:
I had this pain on my left breast for about three weeks now. At first it was just a sharp pain on my nipple so I couldn't lay on my stomach. Then it spreaded out to the whole breast. Just a little wind would make it hurt, and even without touching it, I had a dull pain on the whole breast. Its been two weeks and half now and I feel a little better. But I still can feel something hard inside my breast. My left breast as a whole is harder than my right one. (Left one is the one that hurts)

I actually went to see a doctor at OBGY a week ago, and they did the (outer?) ultrasound (that's what they called it...). They said they couldn't really see anything but they definitely feel that my left breast is much harder than the right one. They also said that it's strange how I feel so much pain on the left side but not on the right...

I heard that breast cancer don't really bring pain with it, so I really don't know what this can be. I have fibromyalgia but Idk how the pain in my nipple can be explained with fibromyalgia...

The doctor asked me to do a "more detailed ultrasound test" but then it's $250!! Too expensive and my pain has already decreased a little (even thogh I feel something hard inside my breast) I made an appointment for the test but then I canceled it yesterday... then I made an appointment for it again today cuz I am a little scared of what is inside my breast.. I don't know if it's worth it to get the test.. I guess it can help explain something and decrease my anxiety about it but do i really need it?

I am 25 and not married so i don't think it's mastitis either. Please, someone help me =(

Thank you!!

booch007 responded:
Man, I had this same thing. Went to OB/GYN also and thought I might have a fungus.....ready????

He had absolutely no answer, I then told my neurologist who does my trigger point injections and IT WAS 2 TRIGGER POINTS in the upper muscle of the breast/chest wall.

She injected them and I have never had the pain again.

I carried that discomfort for months, until i feared something really bad was happening to the breast, I would never have been able to have a mammo if it was time.

So, feel around in the upper chest, actually I didn't find the spots she did (as she always did) I decided then to tell her EVERY pain I had...in case it was these stupid congested muscle things I have.

I will say when I looked in the book that I use, FM and Chronic Myofascial Pain (a survival manual) by Dr Starlanyl it was there! So if I had looked it up first I would have known myself.

I have done that with the pain in the lower thumb area...it is from the forearm muscle and I have figured it out and brought the complaint and fix in with me to the MD.

So try to warm the top muscle, massage the area above the breast toward the clavicle bones....more straight up fro your nipple area. Hope this helps.....

I do so well remember how painful those nipples were and a bra was a torture.....Nancy B

Anon_2912 responded:
Have they done a mammogram?

Sometimes caffeine drinkers develope fibrosis.

debrabrooks1960 responded:
Thanks for posting this. I have the exact problem. Left breast also. I noticed a lump under my nipple first and a few days later the nipple pain started. I also went to my doctor. He ordered an ultrasound since I had a mammogram that was normal back in March. The ultrasound was normal too. I still have the lump but it has gotten smaller. It was just a swollen gland. The pain still bothers me a little at times but not near as bad as it once was. I never guessed it could be related to FM.

Nancy B gave good suggestions. A heating pad works wonderfully. Or a hot shower made me feel better. Good luck with this. I hope the pain will continue to go away for you too.

Soft hugs, Debbie
Your not over the hill until you are under the hill.

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
447 of 521 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.