Skip to content
Vitamin D Levels?
tlp2815 posted:
Hi-
I keep reading posts on here that say to have your Vitamin D levels checked since if its low it can cause more pain. I asked my dr to check my level and he checked mine by doing a test called 25 OH Vitamin D level. The result was 34.0 ng/ML and he wrote that the result is "normal". I went online and am seeing several places that a "normal" Vitamin D level is between 50 and 80. Im not sure if I really have a low Vitamin D level or not now. Does anyone have any knowledge of this? Can anyone recommend how much to take to help? Thanks!

dollbug responded:
Hello and welcome....MiMi in NC...and I am the one who constantly reminds everyone just how important Vitamin D is....and yes.....low Vitamin D can make a difference in some people's pain level....interesting that your doctor stated your level was *normal*....I will also tell you this much....when I first got my Vitamin D level checked it was 12 or 14....and after a very long time...I finally got it back to low 40's....which the doctor told me was still on the low end of being normal...there are a lot of doctors who still do not understand Vitamin D...the range of being *normal* varies too much...in my own opinion...and I will say this...what is normal for one person may or may not be normal for someone else...

I did my own research about Vitamin D and what I found out is very interesting, to say the least...and the information that you will find will also vary...so who is right and who is wrong? It is important to do your own research about *things*...and since we now have computers there is a vast of knowledge out there for people to do this...

I am not a doctor so I do not know what or why doctors sometimes do what they do....perhaps they are just guessing? Well...I hope NOT...as this is our health that they are dealing with...but I will say this...that I am not sure that there is something that is concrete....and this applies to a lot of health issues...

I have learned how to *control my FM pain* by taking vitamins and supplements and doing other things as well...it took me a very long time to get to where I could do this...and I still have to *tweak* them sometimes to make this work...this is a *learned process*....and you will eventually figure it out...

I do not know if you take vitamins and supplements or if you are getting Vitamin D....but you just might want to look into taking some...again...this is my own opinion..

I take Fibro Response or magnesium malate, Omegas, Super B complex, Calcium and a multi which does have Vitamin D in it....and every now and then I do take a supplement of Vitamin D...since my level is within the normal range now...

I will also tell you this....that it took me a very long time to get my Vitamin D level back up....and the doctor gave me a 50,000 iu prescription for a short time and then told me to take the over the counter Vitamin D....

Again....I would do some research on Vitamin D and what other sources might reveal....low Vitamin D can cause additional pain for some people...it did for me..and it can also affect other illnesses as well...

Be sure and read the info here under *tips* and *resources*...that you will find to the right of this page..

Take care and good luck...

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

My personal exchanges are Vitamin D and Pain and Wrath of the Dragon....if you care to visit..

Helpful Tips

Living Well with Fibromyalgia
Greetings! I have learned patience and a positive attitude is key to my pain management. I developed Fibromyalgia after a hysterectomy in ... More
Was this Helpful?
198 of 215 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.