Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Biting/Needle Pain in Feet
lostinnewengland posted:
I received a diagnosis of fibro last year, and I am still adjusting. It is good to know that I'm not really crazy, despite what some doctors tried to convince me of early on.

My question is, does anyone else get needle-like pain or feel like something is biting or clawing their feet? I've had this issue in different spots, including "animal bite" type pain in my ankles. Most recently, I've had an issue where it felt like a needle was shoved into my right little toe; that set off 2+ weeks of pain in and around that spot. I'm assuming it is the fibro, because I could see no trauma to the area.

remyclown responded:
Hi, I like you have been diagnosed for a year. Yes, I have had pain in my ankles. sharp, dull, throbbing. This is not an area that I have seen any info on with fibro, but at this point, honestly, NOTHING SURPRISES ME. lol This is the most frustrating thing I have ever experienced due to the lack of consistency of pain in various areas. It changes by the day, the week, and sometimes even the hour! Ugh....so I have no doubt that is what is going on.

Anon_2912 responded:
The "pain areas" are so elusive that I feel like a cat chasing its own tail....

For me, the pain usually hits me when I get up in the middle of the night to go to bathroom & my feet hit the floor the pain weirdness comes...in all areas of my ankles & bottom legs.

It is not excruciating pain, but it is pain...

Randm2220 responded:
Lost,

I have the same problem with my feet. It feels like electricity running through my feet. Mine extends up to my knees. It usually disapates after a few hours in the morning but returns in the afternoons. It is not a comfortable feeling. I put my feet up, but sometimes even the couch hurts my feet and I have to hang them over the edge.

Kim

jennagale76 replied to Randm2220's response:
Ditto to Randm2220's post.

Heavenlee1222 responded:
I have the exact same feeling!!!!! What medicine are you taking for your fibro? I'm on Topamax which is when my biting/clawing pains got a whole lot worse! A friend of mine used to be on Topamax and said her neurologist said it can last for 3 months as a side effect or may never go away at all while on it, I may stick it out for the three months since it is helping with the rest of the pain, but if it lasts much longer than that I don't know if I'll be able to last any longer than that it's driving me CRAZY!!!! My husband thought maybe I had athletes foot without anyother signs since I kept saying it felt like something is gnawing on my feet so I bought some cream and tried it, but it didn't help, then after posting about it on fb and my friend saying she had it happen from Topamax I was like oh dang that's what it's from I'm really not crazy then!!!! LOL!!! I also before the Topamax would get these stabbing feelings through my toes though like there was a pin being jabbed through the end of my toes it'd wake me from a dead sleep!

lostinnewengland replied to remyclown's response:
It's now been 10 weeks, and I'm still getting pain in that toe. I even had every joint hurting last night and muscle spasms.

I've had foot pain in the past, but I've never had pain just settle into one toe and keep coming back on a daily basis. That does surprise me, because it is just not in keeping with the rules of "the game" as I thought I'd come to understand them.

It still worries me that maybe this new pain isn't fibro but, instead, something else. The doctors I've been dealing with seem pretty mediocre; it makes me miss two of the doctors I've had in the past.

dakotaspirit1957 responded:
Try this again... got an out of order message when I sent the other message lol... and after refreshing a few times it didn't show up so I hope it won't ditto me lol...

this sounds just like when my neuropathy hit... you don't have diabetes do you... I would see if I could see a neurologist... That is who I see for this type of pain... Not everything is FM... and sometimes it is... We are all so unique...

I hope you feel better very soon... take care...

Love... Jan/Dakota

lostinnewengland replied to Heavenlee1222's response:
I have avoided meds. One doctor put me on Cymbalta, but I so hated the way I felt on it that I stopped it and haven't tried anything else since then up until a doctor gave me some Diazepam last night in response to a really bad episode of pain.

I have been trying to control things through diet and exercise. Unfortunately, I often don't have the energy for exercise, and I probably have a ways to go with my diet. I probably still eat too much dairy and foods containing gluten.

booch007 replied to lostinnewengland's response:
Good morning,

Be sure this is not a gout attack and your body is changing. The doctor draws labs to check the uric acid level, it is not in a general panel of study, so maybe you need to be seen on this.

The other thing is, I too have feet bother me now and again with neurogenic pain (burning type) the toe on fire and when I massage the muscles I seem to be able to break it. Heat and soaking of the feet has helped too. Maybe this may help?

Good luck, it stinks to have these unimaginable pains we get, when you just have no answer for cause and why? It can drive you crazy and this is also why so many docs get frustarted with us.

Good luck, Nancy B

xperky replied to lostinnewengland's response:
Keep a journal of these joints that are having sharp pains, even if they come and go. I had a similar experience a couple years ago and it kept getting worse. Turned out to be a kind of arthritis along with the FM, so you never know.

Do you have any luck using salonpas patches on the toe? They are little and can be cut smaller as well. I love 'em at bedtime with a sock over top.
With Compassion,
Margaret

Helpful Tips

Vitamin D level checked ***
I encourage everyone who is having pain problems to ask your doctor to check your Vitamin D level......a simple blood test...and so very ... More
Was this Helpful?
214 of 244 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.