Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Believe
HelplessHope posted:
I have recently been diagnosed. Im not having any luck finding a good doctor that beleives the amount of pain Im in, and how sick I feel. I tried cymballta( made ressless legs worst) I was handed Savella pack today by pain management dr. Im not sure i should take it cause I have high blood pressure and my liver is senitive to medication. I had to get hysterectomy in may cause liver didnt like any meds to control endometrios. Ever since surgery Ive been felling horrible. Apparenly surgery brought on fibro. and ibs. and ressless legs.... Do i need to go on. I also keep having reoccurring pericarditius. Oh and I kept ovaries cause Im only 35. But found out today my estrogen levels are low. So I need help. If anyone knows of dr that beleives in fibro in balto/harford county Md area, please inform me.

Randm2220 responded:
Believe,

Sorry to hear you can't find a doctor who understands. I hope you find one soon! I understand about the liver worry. I don't like that are filtered through my liver either. But I have to take them or I am in so much pain I can't stand it.

Kim

goodgamma responded:
Fibromyalgia can be absolutely overwhelming in its various forms and various intensities. Most of us who have had it for many years still can't understand why our symptoms can be so bad one day and not so bad the next. And medications that work for one person don't necessarily work for another. Fibro is really a pain in the neck (pun intended).

The type of doctor you need, at least for now, is a rheumatologist. He/she specializes in arthritis and the autoimmune conditions like fibro. There are a variety of medications you can take, but not all drugs are effective for all people. It can take a long time to find the right combination that makes you feel better. There are many different autoimmune conditions and you can have more than one at the same time. That happened to me and I was very sick, but the second one has gone into remission -- hopefully forever!

I don't know what kind of medical insurance you have, but I hope it's good. Your rhematologist will probably want you to have a variety of different tests (yes, very expensive) to rule out other causes of your pain. You would also benefit from a physical therapist and a mental health counselor. It is so easy to get very depressed when you're in pain and the rest of the world seems to be having a grand old time while you scrunch up on your couch wishing time would speed by so you can go to bed.

The mental health aspect of treatment is as important as the physical care you'll need. It's very hard to feel better when you're feeling depressed and guilty (yes, guilty because you have to rely on family and/or friends to do things for you).

Your job right now is to get enough rest, eat healthfullly, research medical opportunities(rheumatologists, chiropractors, physical therapists, massage therapists, etc.) that can begin to provide some relief for you.

I do hope you feel better soon.

goodgamma

HelplessHope replied to goodgamma's response:
thanks

booch007 responded:
I have a few things here. First I am sorry but we cannot reccomend a Doctor here on Web MD. It is not allowed .

I take savella and also have HBP issues. I just take the little blue one 12.5mg. You can start with this and don't move up. Tell him you want 30 tablets of just 12,5 tablets........then start slow and see how you do. I don't even take it twice a day as I can't sleep from it. So sensitive. On bad days I use 25mg (2)tablets.

It is wise to have your eyes open during the medication phase.

Read up on all.

Look up under Dr P for conversations he has had to learn more and make sure your Vit D is right and good supplements are being taken.

It is never going to happen to find someone who really undersatnds you, I don't even understand me. Some days it is the neck...the back then toes are burning and then the headache returns.....it is all over the place!

Well I wish you all the best (this phase is the hardest in the process of the disease). Once through this you will move forward.

I use a book called FM and Chronic myofascial pain as a resource, by Dr Devin Starlanyl. (amazon.com) It is a survival manual and helps alot to understand some non medical relief things to do. We also have the TOOLBOX under resources to the right. Take a look in there to see what so many members do to be better. Good luck, all my best, Nancy B

HelplessHope replied to booch007's response:
So do you take the savella in morning? I also have trouble sleeping and i do not wanna interfer with what sleep i do get. Besides the fibro causeing restless nights, my hormonal issues since hysto do also. sorry about asking about Dr. I guess I didnt read everything. Its been hard seeing pass the tears...

booch007 replied to HelplessHope's response:
So many people ask for a doctor because we have such issues with this. It is just their rules here .

I do only take it in the morning, but if I needed to take it twice a day I would take it at lunch again....so it would have tapered off by evening.

I really like that the 12,5mg tablet is available for then YOU can control it and work up REAL slow and see how it helps. If side effects get you pull back. I even took it every other day for a bit WHAT EVER WORKS.

I will say that I have significant flushing, I am menopausal and the tramadol and the savella give you flushes and flashes.....but the pain relief is worth the FAN in my hand!!
I have a fan at the bottom of the bed too....P R I C E L E S S!

Good luck.........Nancy B

hop63 responded:
Hi Believe! Wanted to share some of my experiences with fibro & meds Was diagnosed 19 years ago and have tried them all when it comes to meds. When I saw Cymbalta& Savella, I had to reply. Now, some of the people I know have had success with these meds. I am very sensitive to medications and seems to get every negative side effect ever listed. But Cymbalta & Savella were my worst nightmares. Cymbalta made me so dizzy that I could not get out of bed. My memory and thinking skills were none existent. When I tried Savella the Doctor suggested I start with the absolute smallest dose possible and cut that in half. After swallowing, within a half hour I was projectile vomiting. Called Dr. He said maybe it because you did not eat first. The directions did not say take on full stomach. But I was desperate and hoping this was the cure for me. Next day I repeated the smallest dosage after a large meal and again in less than 30 minutes projectile vomiting and severe dizziness. That was the end of Savella for me. I could not begin to list all the meds I tried in the past 19 years. Bottom line - they all made me gain a tremendous amount of weight ( from 125 lbs to 200), made me very sleepy and Increased "brain fog ". I hope you have better luck than I have had but there are some of us that do not do well with medications. Best of luck and keep me updated. Maybe you will find something to help us both. ((hugs))

fibrofran17 replied to booch007's response:
Booch, just had to add a fan in the bathroom right behind the toilet lol

Health Insurance in Your State

Learn about plans, benefits, and costs in your state's Marketplace.

From WebMD

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
447 of 521 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.