Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Spasms in toes and legs while sleeping!
brandnewme54 posted:
I have just recently started having spasm/cramping in my calves and toes. It's not just leg or foot....varies from night to night, however not every night! I have not been able to pinpoint anything I am doing or eating that could cause this.

I was put on Lipitor several months ago and thought this might be the cause, so yesterday I phoned my doctor and asked if I could get some blood work to see if I was lacking something and her decision was to have me stop taking the Lipitor for now. I used to be on Vytorin, which caused no problems, so I guess she is trying to rule it out before putting me through anymore tests.

This pain comes without warning and it's so severe sometimes that when I get out of bed I can't even straighten my leg or foot. It's always at night while sleeping, however not every night. I have had a few times where it happened while driving so I had to put my car in cruise control because my right foot would not stop cramping.

This is starting to scare me now and I am a bit angry that all my doctor wants me to to now is stop taking Lipitor. I do have disk problems and have had a couple of spinal epidurals, however my pain is not that bad anymore, or at least I have just gotten used to it that I don't notice it much anymore!!! My back doctor has suggested back surgery, however he doesn't have a non evasive way of doing surgery, so I have chosen not to. I have been told by so many people that unless your pain affects your daily life, don't have surgery. My Father had also undergone many back surgeries, which none were successful.

I know this site is not a place to be diagnosed, but I would appreciate any advice or help. I am waiting a week or two for the Lipitor to get out of my system and if this cramping/spasms continue, there is something else wrong and the doctor needs to be contacted and further testing is going to be required.

Thank you in advance for any help/advice you may be able to provide to me. I was surfing on the internet prior to finding this site, and I scared myself so bad I had to get off the internet for awhile!!!!

booch007 responded:
Well, a smart rule out is to stop the Lipitor. I myself have issue with the statins and neurology told me NO STATINS FOR ME.

My pain was in my hands. O U C H doesn't cover it. I was blaming our dragon for the pain. Stopped the lipitor and gone!

BUT your issues sound vascular, as well it can be in your labs with Potassium, calcium and magnesium. These are big for your muscle function. In the vacular world though:

When you sleep, your blood pressure and heart rate slow. This decreases blood return to the heart. The muscles take their nutrients and oxygen and what is left as it is trying to return cannot sustain anymore removal....so the muscles get poor exchange and then there is spams. Hence getting up and walking around brings fresh blood to the area and it gets better. I have also warmed the muscle with my heating pad....it does alot.

I have vascular problems. Maybe a vascular exam of venous doppler and arterial doppler testing can be done for you.

You can wear support stocking to bed to help you, but the real fix is being tested. I take magnesium twice a day 250mg...now. Thanks to Dr Oz. I was taking only one..and he said EVERYONE should be on one. so I knew I have issues..I take 2. BIG help for me. I was on prevacid for my gut for years before being aware that I was gluten intolerant. Apparently this use is a trigger to Mg deficiency and that labs don't show intrcellular deficiencies! So you are left to guess.

I run all my supplements by the doc and give a trial period for each to see if there is benefit.

So, you are not alone with this. I find that if I don't walk for the day enough.......have any wine......or miss my meds. I am up a creek with that nights sleep and my legs. DANG, it is tough.

I just had surgery on the left for varicose removal as this was the cause of some of my issues.....and that is gone now. I have the right to do now in Sept. . Happy lady since....

Good luck. Try the warming for now and if you have varicose veins when they examine you it is another issue...I had closures and removals and doing better each time. I have typical nurses legs! A genetic gift from Mom and Dad! :0.

Take care, Nancy B

Buds50 responded:
Most of your symptons are just like mine. I as well was on Lipitor and stopped and no difference. Mine is everynight and now my hands are starting to draw., I went to a neurologist to see if it was Multiple Slerosis. He said no. Did a hugh amount of lab work which all came back fine. I cannot continue to work this way. I fall asleep at my desk during the day because I don't sleep at night at least the sleep I should get. I don't know what to do. I am thinking of going to San Francicso iIF I CAN GET a REFERRAL. I am at my wits end I just can't take it anymore.
Rosemary Winter

Buds50 replied to booch007's response:
I take magesium twice a day and have been for over a year. Calcicum twice a day. Stopped my Lipitor about a month ago. No Change. I rub and rub and rub at night and cry. I can't walk because I also get them in my toes, and the area between my my foot and leg. The side of my calf. Excuriating pain down to my bone. The Neurologist just ordered every kind of blood test available to man and everything is okay. I don't even have a thyroid and my it was fine. I am a diabetic and that was fine.Sometimes my foot get stuck sideways and I can't even put it flat on the floor, talk about pain. Sometime over 30 minutes I am rubbing and trying to walk and crying. No sleep for the wicked they say I must be awfully wicked. I can't take it anymore it hurts so bad and the Doctors don't seem to understand what hurts so bad means. Then when they gave me a muscle relaxer it seemed to helped to a point, not all the time and then they don't want to refill them. I fall asleep at my desk during the day when I am working because of sleep depravation. What to do. My mind is gone. People think I have alshiemers desease. I give up, I am so tired all the time.
Rosemary winter

brandnewme54 replied to booch007's response:
Thank you kindly for your reply!!! I have stopped Lipitor, and I am afraid to say anything so as not to jinx myself. My cramping has subsided, yet I lay in bed with caution afraid to move at times!!!! I am going to give it another week and if it comes back, even once, I am going to demand my Doctor run some blood tests. I had asked that in the first place, but she just stopped the Lipitor, and I am hoping it's just something she wants to rule out. I used to take Vytorin for years and the only reason I changed was to lower some of the cost, but my sleep is more valuable than any pill.

I take a lot of supplements and have for a very long time and everytime I try to tell any doctor what I am taking, they don't seem to care! I have changed my attitude on that now!!

I also take 500mg of Magnesium, along with a lot of Calcium, at different times of the day, so I think those levels are fine, but I wonder about the potassium! I don't eat a banana everyday, but they may not matter.

WOW, sorry, didn't mean to ramble!!!! I appreciate your sharing!! Thank you!!

brandnewme54 replied to Buds50's response:
I have stopped the Lipitor now for several days and I am afraid to say the spasms/cramps have stopped. I don't want to jinx myself, but I have actually had sleep in the past couple of nights!!!! I will be seeking more medical attention if this comes back, especially with the extreme pain.

Your story sounded like a few of my nights. I have experienced those exact symptoms and I don't know about you, but I could feel it coming on once in awhile, but at other times it would just strike!

You start thinking you have so many other diseases out there, especially when you read the internet. I only work a part time job, thank goodness, because I couldn't function either!!! As it is, I am so irritable that I have to control myself as not to lost my cool. This mixed with menopause is just lovely!!!!! Hey, I wonder if it could be related to that at all? Has anyone ever suggested that to you? I will be demanding my doctor run some blood tests and if I have to I will lie about some symptoms so I can get the proper testing!!!

Thank you for sharing your story and I so understand and know how you are feeling!!! I will share any news I get that might help you.

Take care!!!

dawncostella replied to brandnewme54's response:
I also have cramps in my feet, legs, arms, and hands. I also went the the neurologist and he told me I am fine. Not only do I get cramps and can't walk but I also fall a lot. The neurologist told me that my balance is fine and to get shoes that aren't so cute. Can you believe that!!!! I also passed out on Saturday just sitting on a chair.

They have checked me for MS but feel everything I have going on is FM. Who knows? I do get tired of the pain at night though.

annette030 replied to dawncostella's response:
What did the neurologist say about you passing out while sitting in a chair? Cute shoes cannot cause that.

I went through a period in my life where I would have to hold onto furniture inside and I would just fall down a lot outside. My rheumatologist could not find anything wrong with me, but told me he would suggest a walking stick. So I got a great cane from a friend made of local wood. After a few months the balance problems went slowly away. The cane sits in my closet, just in case. I never had what one would call a real solid diagnosis.

I took opiates for pain and a sleep aid to help with insomnia.

I have never worn "cute shoes" if you are talking about high heels. I would not recommend them to anyone, but especially not while you are having falling issues.

Take care, Annette

dawncostella replied to annette030's response:
Hi Annette,

The neurologist told me my fainting spell was probably no big deal. I was probably just really excited about my niece's wedding that day. NOT!!!

The funny thing about the shoes is I was wearing shoes that were flat and I have stopped wearing high heels so that I don't fall. Both times I fell though I was wearing flat shoes I just thought his comment was hysterical.

brandnewme54 replied to dawncostella's response:
I think you need to see a new neurologist!!!!

Hopefully you get an answer. I think seeing my neurologist will be the next step, however I have stopped getting the cramps/spasms now that I have stopped taking Lipitor!!!! I need cholesterol medication due to genetics, however I will bite the bullet and spend the $$$$ for Vytorin, that caused NO problems!!!

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
447 of 521 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.