Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
LASIK
jennylynn84 posted:
Has anyone had LASIK done? I was saving for this, as I've recently developed an intolerance to contact lenses and HATE wearing glasses (among other things they give me headaches from the "squeezing" of my head - even though they are very loose).

But now I've got loved ones telling me I'll end up in a lot of pain if I do this surgery.

booch007 responded:
Yes I had it done......I went from 20/400 vision to 20/30!

I have little side effect. Be sure they are a center that does alot. My surgeon is the corneal transplant surgeon for our hospital. He did a very good job.

I have some eye sensitivity if I wipe my lids wrong. No halos to lights no issues really. I am now tending to 2.5 reading glasses and still wear glasses for the reading of EKG's clearly...I have stigmatisms, irregular surfaces on the cornea.

Would I do it again....absolutely. FIRST time I saw my feet clear in my whole life!

Good luck. Nancy B

thenikki64 responded:
I also had it done by an ophthalmologist who does all of our local military pilots, point being be sure to find a great doctor! Like Nancy I also need glasses for reading, and my right eye could stand a revision. I do need glasses for large distances. For about 4 hours after the surgery I was painful. My eyes watered so much I was worried about getting dehydrated! No pain after that,it heals very quickly.

I say go for it. I know many people who have had Lasik and would do it again without a second thought.
Pam in Savannah

booch007 replied to thenikki64's response:
To add: after the procedure they put contact lenses over the cornea so I wouldn't have tearing. I used 3 different drops to help it heal and saw him on day 3 day 7 and once a week til he felt it was time to remove the lenses......so I didn't didn't have tearing.

See how they are all different. I also have to say my doc made a flap of my cornea....he moved that back LASIK the underlying raise...and then flipped it back to settle and be better....so I healed fast. It was a long time ago...when they first invented this.

I am sure things have chnaged in how they do it, that was why I didn't share my procedure. Good luck. Money WELL spent in (my eyes...*) no pun intended!. Nancy B

jennylynn84 replied to booch007's response:
Thanks guys! I'm looking into getting a referral to get a doctor to take a good look at my eyes and make sure I don't have any of the conditions I discovered that tend to cause contact lens intolerance (and that have to be specifically checked for apparently) because I don't want to needlessly go through surgery.

It hadn't even occurred to me that the Fibro might cause a problem (as if it ever won't cause one) until it was pointed out to me that this could land me in a lot of pain if I get any of the dry eye side effects, etc.

(And there are some horror stories out there!)

My fibro is fairly mild though and its only sometimes (like now) that I start taking lots of meds for it because it flares up.

I'm overdue for a visit to the rheumy, so I'll check with her as well.

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to jennylynn84's response:
Hi Jennylynn,

There is more than one kind of laser surgery for improving your vision. Click on the following for some basic info:

Laser Eye Surgery Slideshow

And if you have questions, I encourage you to post on our Eye Health Community .

Good luck with it!
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. ~Joseph Campbell

Helpful Tips

Living Well with Fibromyalgia
Greetings! I have learned patience and a positive attitude is key to my pain management. I developed Fibromyalgia after a hysterectomy in ... More
Was this Helpful?
191 of 208 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.