Skip to content
Do You Remember?
Caprice_WebMD_Staff posted:
This isn't about whining but I am wondering... I don't know about you but I honestly don't remember what it's like to not be in pain 24/7 or a life without sleep problems and fatigue. I know there was a time when I wasn't in constant pain but it's like that life belongs to another person and I can no longer relate to that person.

I've found many ways to continue to have a life and enjoy it but that doesn't change that this is now my 'normal'.

Do you remember?
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. ~Joseph Campbell
FirstPrevious12NextLast

missshortyd responded:
I had three siblings pass away in a nine month period and that was four years ago and I have been in constant pain every day since.I do remember but it makes me sad. : (

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to missshortyd's response:
((((softhugs))))

I hope you find a reason to smile this week, Missshortyd.
We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. ~Joseph Campbell

dollbug responded:
Hello Caprice...MiMi in NC....I know that when I first got sick...my health went downhill from there...it seemed like it was not one thing but several that I had to deal with...and my doctor tried to treat me for being depressed...for a long time...I continued to struggle with trying new medicines but not finding any relief...and at time I would try some medicines and actually make myself sicker than I had been...it was not good for my mind or my body...and certainly not my spirit...when I finally got to the root of *MOST* of my health issues...then I started taking little baby steps and feeling some better...but it seemed like forever before I got to this point....so many surgeries and so much to deal with in trying to recover...and then when I thought I had gotten over the worse of it...I fell and broke my right wrist...and I had to start again...

I, like you, do not really remember when I felt good, with no pain at all...and especially the fatigue....I have said this before...right now the fatigue is actually worse than my pain...I think I have learned to deal with the pain...but I can not seem to get past the fatigue...it is there no matter what I do or try...some days worse than others...

I do find ways to continue and enjoy things...but it is nothing like I remember doing in my *life before FM*....

Thanks for sharing this topic....

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

My personal exchanges are Vitamin D and Pain and Wrath of the Dragon....if you care to visit..

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to dollbug's response:
Fatigue is such a battle, isn't it, MiMi. And I wish there was one thing that helped us all. But, just like the pain, we often have to our own trial and error to find what best helps each of us.

Thanks, as always, for giving so much of yourself here despite that fatigue.

Rosalenna responded:
My entire life including my childhood I have been in pain. As a child I was always called a crybaby, or the princess and the pea. So I learned to keep my mouth shut, even in adult life I have stayed quiet. Until 3 years ago I got sick and they put me on meds and oh my! It was the first time I felt strange (normal pain free). I never knew that it wasn't normal to feel the way I did. I'm still trying to get the right mix of meds but at 51 I'm starting to feel better. I still really bad days but I'm dealing with it day by day. Thank you

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to Rosalenna's response:
I know what you mean, Rosalenna. While I didn't have pain until adulthood, I had a ton of allergies and asthma. One day I got a shot of cortisone and was astonished and wondered 'is this how wonderful everyone else feels all the time???' (Unfortunately, I ended up having a bad reaction to the second shot and had to stop, not that I would want to be on cortisone or prednisone for any length of time.)

I'm glad the meds are helping at least somewhat now.

gdsjoy replied to dollbug's response:
Hahaha, do I remember not being in pain. That's funny!

angelswife responded:
This question made me think---it was a bit of a shock to realize that the last time I felt completely well, full of energy and without pain, I was eleven years old!! That was 34 years ago.

In retrospect, I started with the full-blown Fibro symptoms when I was 20, after a bad bout with Mono. But the MD I had then could never find anything wrong, and he called me a "drama queen" who "obviously needed a label". I resigned myself to living with no energy and numerous aches and pains.

Before my 20s I was constantly sick with infections, IBS and migraines. I wonder if that was the actual onset of the Fibro. Guess I'll never know. I got so used to living with feeling crappy that I learned to ignore it most of the time. It was just a way of life.

gdsjoy replied to gdsjoy's response:

Fell. Again. Ugh. Sat down on chair on front porch while talking to my dad and went straight off the side into the evergreen bushes, chair and all. Besides some scrapes and bruises, got a nice knot on my already injured knee. Guess that is a blessing"026at least I am not crippled on both sides. LOL. The boys would have loved to have it recorded to put on AFV. Pretty funny trying to get out of a chair, thick in the bushes. Dad almost had to rig up some kind of crane!

PAIN ! All over. Not just where the bruises are, oh my word. Did I get hit by a semi after I fell? Maybe I was out of it and just wasn't aware of a truck crushing my entire body.
Boy, oh boy. Isn't fibro fun!

SimoneSilvestrin responded:
Hi Caprice,

I?ve been diagnosed 12 years ago and I almost don?t remember anymore how it feels not been in pain. I remember good times and activities I used to do.
I had long periods of terrible conditions and I have managed well lately. When I have little pain, I feel lucky, but it is always there.
I don?t have much of sleep problems, thank god, but when I feel tense I take the muscle relaxant for a few days and go easily back to sleep.
This has been a bad week, but I know soon a good one will come.

Supportive love, Simone

Randm2220 responded:
HEy caprice!

Not being in constant pain is a fading memory for me. Looking back, I believe I had mild fibro storms as a child. I too never said anything thinking it was normal. I remember having fatigue as a child too. After getting out of the military (a long, long time ago) I had some years of pain free life. Then it returned as just mild discomfort. I remember being short of breath a lot and fatigued a lot but contributed that to smoking. I guess it hit hard about 10 years ago and then just continued to get wors until I could not longer climb the stairs without having to stop half way up. I remember not being able to stand in the shower. I remember driving 3 hours by myself to my in laws and arriving crying due to the pain.

My med combo is still being worked out over 3 years later. The combo is not working either. My sleep medicine is working good most of the time. But my pain control and mood control is not working. Pain medicine for break out pain is not working either. I am tired of being in pain. I need relief.......

booch007 responded:
I have my memories of doing so many things and throwing parties and be all to everyone.....but..it is a memory.

The new me, does her best.

The mind doesn't always hold all I wish it to tho.....my gaps are getting bigger and I am in the present more then remebering the past. A small world is a good world for me.........

Nancy B

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
I really appreciate everyone's very thoughtful responses, and the humor that's still often there.

Keep 'em coming.

dgoodw83 replied to gdsjoy's response:
that is cute lol

Helpful Tips

Living Well with Fibromyalgia
Greetings! I have learned patience and a positive attitude is key to my pain management. I developed Fibromyalgia after a hysterectomy in ... More
Was this Helpful?
193 of 210 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.