Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
disability
boop1967 posted:
Hello all I'm new to this site ..Needed to vent I have fibro and degenerative disc and stenois have been denied for disability ..I'm fustrated cause I am in constant pain and in a lot of different meds for these issues ..Has anybody been through this any advise will be appreciated

annette030 responded:
Do all the reassessments, etc. that they ask you for at SSA. Few people are granted disability on the first try. Many more get it at the judicial level, third try. Nothing has to change really, I am not sure why it is. I think they just want to weed out the malingerers.

Take care, Annette

An_244127 replied to annette030's response:
Hello, there is another discussion about this under "Is fibromyalgia a disability", you can search under the discussions to read the replies to that one also for advise. However, just going through it myself I would suggest to you not to give up, keep apealing when your denied and hire a lawyer when it's time for the hearing (maybe you'll get it before then), but most of the time it it is a long process. Mine took 5 years from date of applying (I also got denied 3 times). Good Luck to you.

boop1967 replied to An_244127's response:
Thanks all for the replies I appreciate all the advise and just knowing I'm not alone really helps to get by .This website is the best thing I've found it helps to know I'm not alone in all the daily struggles that come with fibro..Hi again let me introduces myself I am a mother of 3 and have been married for 19 years I have a the best supporting husband he is currently working to jobs to jobs and when possible helps me around house..Like many of us I have my really bad days and nights on medications just don't seem to work.I recently resigned from my job in April just couldn't physically and mentally continue to stay working..

Littlefox77 replied to boop1967's response:
Hello I read that SS passed a disability act making Fibromyalgia a true disability. It was passed in July.
Have you hired a rep to help you throught the disability process?
I hired Allsup back in Dec. and they have been doing a great job so far. If you go to their web site you can get a free assesment test done.
If you do go with them let me know because we can both get an extra 100.00 each.
I know this sounds strange but they are halping me.
Praying that you get the help you need.
Michele

LoniM replied to Littlefox77's response:
Where did you read that Fibromyalgia is now a true diability for the Social Security Department? I have recently applied for such.

annette030 replied to An_244127's response:
I did get it, in only 14 months. I was very lucky. But I did have to go through the appeals process and got it at the judicial level.

Take care, Annette

annette030 replied to LoniM's response:
I would leave that to the lawyers, but I read the same thing somewhere. Sorry, I don't remember where.

I think it is more important what symptoms you have that are disabling, than the actual diagnosis.

Take care, Annette

Littlefox77 replied to LoniM's response:
It is called SSR 12-2P it is a new ruling throught Social Security affective July 31, 2012
You can find it in the Federal Register or go to the SS web site.
Hope this helps.

An_244127 replied to annette030's response:
Yes, that is very lucky! See, I think it all depends on so many different factors ( age, where you live, medical history, etc.), and also how backlogged your state may be in the process if you are waiting for a hearing. Alot may depend on where you live and if your state has been extremely backlogged, you may be waiting a long time. I also had to wait for two hearings, denied at the first one and won at the second one (same judge). Take care.

ssmith56 replied to boop1967's response:
I had friends tell me to go get disability when I was laid off my job 3 yrs ago. I called a local attorney that dealt with disability. I got mine in 5 months. I was turned down 1 time but the second go around it was approved. So, this is possible. I had to pay the attorney 1/3 of the settlement but it was well worth it. The depression was one of the things that threw my case into approval. I found that the mental was approved faster than the physical. (go figure) But with fibro you have depression and pain always. Some days I cannot think of words I want to use due to the pain or lack of sleep due to the pain. The meds make me want to sleep or act like a zombie. I don't know which is worse. Vent to us because we know in this community what you are going through. To live one day without pain....oh, that will be a wonderful day.

annette030 replied to An_244127's response:
I was actually told by SSA that North Dakota was the place to move and live, because their hearings only took about three months to get scheduled, due to back logs it took much longer where I was.

Take care, Annette

LoniM replied to Littlefox77's response:
Thank You !

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
463 of 538 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.