Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Pain starts from depression or depression is triggered by constant pain?
SimoneSilvestrin posted:
I was in a very bad cycle last week, with a lot of pain and all that comes with it. I was only taking the anti-depressant. Then I took a medication for pain that put me to sleep for about 12 hours. I woke up almost painfree and the mood was much better too. What the heck is that?
FirstPrevious12NextLast

dollbug responded:
Hello....MiMi in NC....I think it is all part of the vicious cycle that we, FMers, go through...which one is first....pain or depression....depression or pain...don't know if anyone can really answer this...it is like the chicken and the egg....we have had discussions on this also...

There is a very fine line which is there on both depression and pain....and it is hard to actually know when and where it begins, the direction it takes and when and where it ends...and any way you look at this...it is not good for the mind or the body....

I think it is interesting when FMers come on board and say....that the doctors indicate our illness is all in our heads....when for the most part....it does start and probably ends with the brain....as our brain and the pain both are part of the wrath of the dragon....we have to learn to *control both the brain and the pain* in order to feel better....it is all part of what we have to deal with...no matter where it starts or ends....it is all part of the process that all of us go through...

I guess the reason doctors give us pain pills for surgery is because we can take them and just sleep off how we feel and allow our bodies to recover....if we sleep through it....we are in less pain....I know for sure that when I take pain pills....I know very little about what happens during this time about anything.....

Take care...

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

My personal exchanges are Vitamin D and Pain and Wrath of the Dragon....if you care to visit..

annette030 responded:
I would love to sleep for 12 hours. Sleep really helps with FMS pain and stiffness. Thus you feel better globally.

You should consider yourself very lucky.

Take care, Annette

booch007 responded:
It IS hard to say does the depression increase the pain or the pain increase the depression? You are right.

In treating the pain you lower the stress overall and your mood lightens. Sleep is a treatment for many things.....do you remember your Mom putting you down for a nap, or any child....it straightens out their attitude to alot. Being mad at someone...sleep on it and it is better. Studying and geting all crazy....a nap helps reset you!

I think because you also don't take the pain meds so often that is why it knocked you out so well. You probably needed that rest so badly.

Glad you are better......I wish I could wake up painfree. That is my worst time. I am in bad shape when my eyes open 90 y/o.
And for me, a nap only brings me back to square one.........

But again, good for you. It is a tool for the future*. Nancy

Randm2220 responded:
Simone,

I dream about waking up in no pain..... I can't even remember the last time I did that! I too take an anti depressant, but I also combine it with pain medicine as needed. I am never pain free.

Rejoice that you had a pain free day!

Kim

annette030 replied to Randm2220's response:
I used to dream that I was in pain, then wake up to find I really was, lol. I do hate going to bed, only do it to sleep 5-6 hours.

I am at least no longer depressed, haven't been for many years now. Cognitive behavioural therapy is the answer for me for depression.

I take antiseizure meds, opioids, and zolpidem.

Take care, Annette

georgia888 replied to annette030's response:
Hello Annette,
Does cognitive behavioral therapy work on adjusting one's attitude? I haven't been to an actual therapy but find when I discipline myself through attitude adjustment, I feel much better.

I look forward to going to bed. Although I seem to toss & turn more than I care to as it only reminds me of the various places I hurt, I find sleep for the most part to be a good escape from this condition. One of the many Fibro symptoms I suffer from is frequent urination so that, too, gets me up at least once during the night. Sometimes I'm awakened out of a (rare) deep sleep mode & that can be very upsetting.

georgia

annette030 replied to georgia888's response:
CBT is basically an attitude adjustment. It really works for me. It is hard work, but once you realize that you have the power to react any way you want to to someone else's behaviour or the pain or whatever, it is very powerful.

A therapist I went to many years ago gave me a book when I moved away called, "Feeling Good" by Dr. David Burns, MD. A great book and a good read for everyone.

I get up about 5-6 hours after I go to sleep to urinate, after that it is dozing at best. I have to get in my hot tub for a bit EVERY night before bed in order to relax my muscles enough to get to sleep with ambien waiting on my nightstand. Without that, I do not sleep much at all.

I wish I slept better, oh well...

Take care, Annette

SimoneSilvestrin replied to annette030's response:
Than you, I?m looking for a Therapist just now.

annette030 replied to SimoneSilvestrin's response:
Best of luck to you. Interview several to find the best fit for you. Make sure you are both on the same page as far as methods, and outcomes.

Take care, Annette

georgia888 replied to annette030's response:
Thank you, Annette for all this great info. It sounds like you are managing your condition very well.

georgia

annette030 replied to georgia888's response:
I hope it helps you.

I feel fine, pain is normal, but nothing to fear.

I get along fine with FMS. Can't work, so I don't pretend it doesn't affect me at all. But, it does not help me to wallow in misery. I use whatever tools I need to, to get along.

Take care, Annette

snowflurree replied to Randm2220's response:
I too am never pain free, especially my back upper muscles, bones and rib cage, front and back, also my elbows and other muscles in my upper torso. I wake up feeling like I have been kicked in the back by a horse and used as a punching bag. I have an appt. with a neurologist (whenever I can get the referral) I don't have much faith in what he will do for me, maybe Neurontin, don't know. I am so afraid to make any commitments to do anything with friends because I may be in immense pain on that day, which is basically every day for me. This is weird, but I have found that when I go to bed without eating anything, I feel that the pain is almost gone the next morning. I thought, maybe I am allergic to food (not good). lol. I have had this since 2003 and it happened after a bout with some flu virus that left me with a paralyzed vocal cord for 3 months. I have never felt the same since. My voice came back after the 3 months but I was left with this F-bro, that my dr. said I "may" have (as she rolled her eyes) I wouldn't wish this pain on anyone! You cannot even begin to describe it to someone that does not have F-bro, that couldn't possible understand. My daughter (37) has it also and she seems to have started having this horrible condition after she underwent a toncilectomy when she was 15, she never felt the same after that and has been in pain every day since. I take Vicoden and Firoinal for pain, 300 pills a month and I'm still in pain, what's wrong with "this"picture. Okay, thank you for letting me tell my story, first time I've been on here and I will continue to check back. I am 68 and worked at Sam's club for 8 years, got laid off 2 years ago, took care of my husband when he was terminally ill with cancer. Don't know how I managed it, but I did. Thanks again for letting me ramble on.

meme357 responded:
I have had that happen to me too. And it did not go over well with my family. They I thought I was being a druggy. I can't take pain meds anymore because they make me itch. What's thith that?

annette030 replied to snowflurree's response:
If you worked for 8 years, you might think about applying for SSDI now, if you wait too long, you will lose your eligibility.

The meds you are taking for pain only last four hours, if they help, fine, ask the doctor for longer acting opioids. If they do not help, then taper off of them and try something else, if your doctor thinks it is a good idea. Talk to your doctor.

I take neurontin, have for almost 14 years now, I love it. I had to give it a few weeks to get past the side effects though.

Take care, Annette

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
461 of 536 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.