Skip to content
Savella the good the bad the ugly
CLKWC1964 posted:
Hey FMily,

Tell about your experience with savella. I am considering trying it but am very much afraid due to my high sensitivity to so many drugs. I was unable to tolerate many of the muscle relaxers, pain meds, cymbalta, neurontin, and had no real benefit once I was able to get past the initial side effects from lyrica. Just really trying to find a balance now that I am working again for the past 10 + months I find that I am flaring and feeling worse and worse. So want to make this work. Thanks for any input you can offer. Cat:0)

dollbug responded:
Hello Cat....MiMi in NC....I hope that Nana B will reply to your post....she takes a very low dose of it and it helps her....and you know she works full time as a nurse....I do not know how any of you are able to hold down a full time job...I know that I could not do it even if I had to....I would be fired...

Have you tried any vitamins and supplements yet? I know that I have learned how to *control my FM pain* by taking them plus doing other things as well.

I hope you will find something soon that will work for you....remember to try to pace, pace and pace even more...I don't remember what you are doing but I hope you are able to do this...

Take care and good luck....

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

My personal exchanges are Vitamin D and Pain and Wrath of the Dragon....if you care to visit..

CLKWC1964 replied to dollbug's response:
Mimi,

Have not decided yet whether to take savella or not. I started myofascial release treatment with a chiropractor 2 weeks ago 3 treatments so far. It is really wierd how much I hurt prior to the treatment and the relief right after it. Hoping this will help. I take B complex with Vit C for energy and this really does help my energy level. I take a multi vitamin everyday a chewable adult vitamin that is gummy, I think you get better absorption this way. Have to limit natural supplements due to my guaifenesin protocol. I feel really bad when I do not take my guaifenesin so I am afraid to stop taking it at this point. I would not be able to work if I got worse than I am at this point. Hope Nancy does give her input would be glad to hear it. Still really afraid of new drugs though due to sensitivity and side effects for me personally. I do believe everyone has to find the right balance for them personally as we are all individuals and what works well for one person may not for another. Thanks for your input Mimi it is well appreciated. Take care. Cat:0)

booch007 responded:
Morning Cat,

The thing different about Savella is as a SNRI (seratonin, norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor) It has the unique ability to hold back the reuptake of norepinephrine MORE then seratonin. Actually 3x more then any other med.

THAT is what made it the right fit for me, as I failed Cymbalta seriously....(brain buzzes, dizziness, gait issues and I felt under water....) I kept saying i know the seratonin levels are GOOD with me, I don't need more! (I didn't want to swallow this class of med).

Well, the caution with this is to NOT USE THE START PAK.
Ask for the 12.5 mg tablet. Start slow , there is no rule on starting a med....I can't even take it twice a day as asked for. It will keep me up.

I only take 12.5 to (2) 25mg a day. Depending how into the week I am and how I am feeling. It is amazing the painfree state I received when i did the dose pak, but I was wired and couldn't sleep. I didn't need that much.

Now you may be able to go up to 25 and maybe twice a day is OK for you. It is a standard dose of 50mg twice a day.....and I HAVE SEEN HIGHER in a patient (well one patient).

Talk it over with the doc...less is more (always).

I would say re-assess every week for a benefit and adjust. They increase day by day in the pak....I just don't want you to get scared with side effects. My B/P absolutely took a hit. I am on more meds to get it in line, but I NEED my little blue pill....

Wait til you see how small this is and yet so powerful. Now if by day 3 you are not seeing anything different and no side effects move to the 25mg dose.

I truly know that this is where my 8 hour window of wellness comes from. It also goes with the conversation we had with Dr P about Adrenal fatigue........with the years of running the ICU and being in a stress world...I can see me being fatigued!

OK, any other questions...give me a shout out. But I wish you luck and I hope with my heart is the perfect med like for me," "The bow on my box!*"

All my best, Nancy B

Helpful Tips

For All our new members
Welcome all new members, I want you to understand how important it is to be o.k. with coming here to lift your spirits and release ... More
Was this Helpful?
371 of 398 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.