Skip to content
5 HTP
An_247438 posted:
Good morning, I had fibromyalgia for as long as I remember but didn't hear the word until 2005 when a rheumatologist gave me the diagnosis. Tried all kinds of meds, natural remedies but it just seems to gget worse. Has anyone tried 5 HTP for it? I read a book about it and would love some feed back before I try it out. A lot of times things seem to get worse when trying new things so I am worried. Have a great day. Gabuschka

georgia888 responded:
Hello Gabuschka,
I've been using 5HTP for a couple of years & find that it does help me sleep better. I take it with Valerian, an herb that is supposed to have a calming affect.

I don't take any prescription medicines & if you do, please check to see how this or any supplement may interact with any med(s) you may be taking.

Best wishes for sweet dreams.

georgia

gabuschka replied to georgia888's response:
Hi Georgia, thanks for your prompt reply and your good advice about valerian. My mom used to give valerian (baldrian) to me when I was a child growing up in Germany and could not sleep. I forgot all about that until you mentioned it. thanks again and hoping you are doing well! gabuschka

fitzgift replied to gabuschka's response:
I have found 5HTP and St Johns Wort work well for me I have had this along time hope this helps

gabuschka replied to fitzgift's response:
thanks for your reply. I'm glad 5 HTP and St. John's Wort works well for you. I still feel unsure of the dosage and just started with the 50 mg of 5HTP after dinner to see how that will work. I slept better but had vivid dreams. I wonder if that is normal, maybe had to catch up on my dream time? I also wonder how you found the right dosage of the remedies. thanks again and I really hope you have a great day. gabuschka

Anon_10089 replied to gabuschka's response:
Hello-

I tried 5HTP a few years ago. It actually made me really nauseous, constantly. I normally eat meat and vegetables but all I could stomach was bread and carbs.

I know we're all different so I'm not writing this to dissuade you from trying it. I just wanted to let you know my experience in case you go through something similar. It took me awhile to realize my symptoms were from the 5HTP!

gabuschka replied to Anon_10089's response:
Good morning, Thanks for letting me know 5HTP made you really nauseous. Hope you found something else that worked for you. I just started using the 50 mg once a day before bed time now and feel my mood has lifted already. The drawback are vivid dreams. Hard to find anything which works without side effects. Hope you have a great day. The air is crisp and the sun in shining today in PA. Gabuschka

Helpful Tips

For All our new members
Welcome all new members, I want you to understand how important it is to be o.k. with coming here to lift your spirits and release ... More
Was this Helpful?
370 of 397 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.