Skip to content
one thing after another
Wolfsong452 posted:
been a long time since I was here, been working too much, have a web site where I am selling some things, old clothes, jewelry that I don't want etc.,

everything is the same old same old, doctor did change the anti-depressant- now taking Cymbalta, still taking narco, muscle relaxer something for the restless leg, of course my over the counter vitamin D

started an exercise gym, been trying to go 3-4 times a week. This is including the walking that is required with me being a security guard.

with the gym exercise I'm noticing some bad side effects, I've been having what seems like more injuries. I already have a torn rotator cuff on the left shoulder, along with my left arm wrist being swollen and aching constantly.

I've since been dianoised with a partial and complete tear of the meniscus of my right knee. They want to do surgery, not something I want to do, as missing work, is NOT good, could lose my job.
still might do the surgery if I can convince the doctor that I'm able to go back to work in 4-5 days, hey, I do more sitting than I do walking. I'm walking in pain now, so how much worse can it be? I've had family members had the same surgery.

what is happening with the exercise at the gym, is I"m know having what feels like the exact same symptoms in my right shoulder, afraid I might have torn that one.

I'm also feeling the exact same pain in the left knee just like the tear of the meniscus in my right knee.

I'm also feeling like something has cracked or broke in the muscles of my biceps. I"m thinking this might be some calcium deposits.. is it possible to get that in the muscle itself?

Now when I work out at the gym, I do the treadmill, I do the eliptical, usually only 15 mins. on each one, with the easiest setting.

I then do some machines normally using the lowest weight I can use. I've even stopped using some machines that were hurting me a bit too much.

what the heck am I going to do now? I do not use any free weights, I am doing some floor work, using the stabalizer ball, some stretching and all sorts of things that can be done on the floor,either sitting or standing.

I do swim, but I"m not even close to being a fish, can't even do one length of the pool. Can only do my version of a breast stroke, I can do the traditional arms over the head swimming, but am afraid of too much on the shoulders,

eeeeks!

I was supposed to go to the doctor today, new primary doctor. Sadly, I was half an hour late, so no seeing the doctor, the nurse asked me some questions to make sure nothing was an emergency, when she heard all the thing that have been going on, what hurts, what is pain, what feels broke,

she said, yep, you really need to have a doctor visit. Thing is, what good is it to go to the PCP when they can't do anything, other than refer me on to either the Ortho doctor, PT, etc.

then, what can they do? more surgery, just what I need,

bah! hate my body,

I was so proud of myself the way I was working out. never felt that I was over doing it, was really watching that closely.

I even have a trigger finger in my dominant hand, where I've pulled and stretched it too much, while trying to get a sliding door open and shut at work. Constant swelling of the middle and ring finger. They will lock up, have to physically move them with the other hand.

talk about an ouch!

can someone cut off my middle finger, that would surely make it feel better!

Wolf
oh what's a body to do.

dollbug responded:
Good to see you post again Sharon....MiMi in NC...I had wondered what in the world happened to you. Sorry that you are dealing with so many things at once....this is not good for the mind or the body...but I will say this that sometimes we have to get to the root of the problems we have before we can move forward...or this is what I have found to be true...

Do you take a joint supplement? Perhaps one might help you with some of your aches and pains...I have had 4 knee surgeries due to a knee accident I had back in the 80's at the Atlanta Airport...I think that all of my health issues have somehow been connected to this injury...

I almost fell on Sunday but was able to catch myself...and I stove up my back...so I have had BIG problems since....I am going to therapy right now for the back pain that I had on the right side...and now I had pain on the left side too...the therapist said that one leg was shorter than the other one and she thinks this is putting strain on my back...

So I am like you....what's a body to do???????

I am not sure that exercise is the answer to all of the problems that we have....

I do hope you will find something that will help you cope better...

Be sure and post again...as we all miss the FMers who pop in and then just disappear...it seems like a lot of people do this...and those of us who continue to post are just left wondering what happened to these people...

Take care and good luck...

MiMi
IN GOD WE TRUST....MAY GOD BLESS AND GUIDE AMERICA....

My personal exchanges are Vitamin D and Pain and Wrath of the Dragon....if you care to visit..

Wolfsong452 replied to dollbug's response:
thanks MiMi,

yeah a joint supplement might help, at least to keep anything else from happening.

Regardikng the damage already done,

only time will tell

xperky replied to Wolfsong452's response:
Hi Wolfsong. Good to see you again.

I was wondering if you have any family members with Inflammatory or Rheumatoid Arthritis, because your swelling and tendon damage could be due to those kind of diseases. I only say "could" because you'd need a rheumatologist to look at you and diagnose something like that. When you see the gp you might ask if he thinks a referral to a rheumy is in order.

Here you are, going to the gym, doing the right things, and getting injured as a result. It doesn't seem fair, does it?
With Compassion,
Margaret

booch007 responded:
So sorry you are in a tough spot again. But glad you came "home " to talk to us. I too wondered what happened to you.

If this were me, I would stop all that exercising until the doctor fixes a few things. You will do more damage then good for your body by pushing it right now. Good luck, Nancy B

Wolfsong452 replied to xperky's response:
I've talked to a Ruemy, nope, nothing like that, also, no Lupus. knock on wood.

just plain ole Osteoarthritis.

no, it doesn't seem fair.

Wolfsong452 replied to booch007's response:
yep, trying to get referred to get some things done, gotta have the co-payment up front before they'd do the surgery on the torn meniscus on my right knee.

I'm kind of waiting, have only been at this new job location for about one month, now I've been with the security company for 16 months.

If I'm going to have to take a week off from work, (hopefully that will be all I need to take off) maybe this job site will allow me to walk around with a cane or a crutch, taking short patrols,

I can not afford to take more than one week off.

xperky replied to Wolfsong452's response:
Do you, by any chance, have short term disability? It sure would come in handy in cases like this.
With Compassion,
Margaret

Wolfsong452 replied to xperky's response:
yes we have short term disability, no problem there,

I'm just having a problem getting my head around doing exactly what I'm supposed to be doing, exercise, lite weights,

then everything else falling apart!

next pay check, I'm going to try the joint supplements, maybe that will make them stronger,

Anon_2912 replied to Wolfsong452's response:
You will have PT recommended weather it be your knee or shoulder you have surgery on.

You must do the PT in order for the surgery to have been successful.

Wolfsong452 replied to Anon_2912's response:
yeah that's for sure,

thanks

Helpful Tips

Living Well with Fibromyalgia
Greetings! I have learned patience and a positive attitude is key to my pain management. I developed Fibromyalgia after a hysterectomy in ... More
Was this Helpful?
193 of 210 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.