Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    What kind of specialist?
    schrode posted:
    My primary care is referring me to a specialist because I have been in terrible pain every day for the last month. Not to mention the exhaustion! I have been narrowing down the specialists in my network and it is between a physical medicine specialist or a pain management specialist. I know we cannot recommend a particular doctor but what type of doctor do you work with?

    Soft hugs,

    Take the Poll

    What kind of doctor do you see for FM?
    • Primary care
    • Rhuematologist
    View Poll Results
    LIDEBRAS responded:
    I actually see my neurologist who sees many, many, many patients with Fibro and is also my pain specialist. He has made a combination of medications that truly help me function and not feel like I want to give up. I have had Fibro for 19 years. I used to be involved in a Fibro Support Group that was related to the Arthritis Foundation. They haven't had it for a # of years due to enrollment being down, but it was very helpful.
    annette030 replied to LIDEBRAS's response:
    I have found that it depends where you live if you have a neurologist or a rheumatologist caring for FMS patients. I think it is mainly a geographic thing. I saw neuros in Reno mainly, but when I moved to Oregon it was mainly rheumies.

    I also think the Arthritis Foundation is a good resource for warm water pools in your area, and FMS support groups. I subscribe to their magazine, there is usually at least one article an issue dedicated to FMS issues or meds.

    Take care, Annette
    booch007 responded:
    So many see rheumatology but I have seen physical medicine and rehab (physiatry), chiropractic and learned alot but I have always been with neurology. I picked them due to so much nerve entrapement that I had.

    My symptoms though were muscle stiffness, numbness and the burning pain you get from nerve impingement. So this is how I was with them. They helped me little until a myofascial specialist joined their group.

    Maybe they saw the increasing pt cases and the need for myofascial work? But after she came I was finally diagnosed and treated. I use triggerpoint injections to get myself on track.
    They give me my meds and have assisted me in validation and support.

    There was an article in rheumatology stating they were going to pass all the patients to neurology as it is a HEAD THING, meaning chemical inbalance with pain perception....but I have not seen it.

    You go where the fit is. If they recommend rheumy and he is awful but PM&R is a great fit.....that is where you go.....

    Be sure they deal with others like you, that they have quite a few cases. That there is an ear there....and patience as you walk the road of trial and error for your meds.

    I wish you all the best. It matters not what the label on the doctor is, as long as he/she understands FM. You too need to be knowledgable. Dr P has books as does my favorite book by Dr. Devin Starlanyl. Get educated so you understand your body a bit better.......(though mine still amazes me! Strange issue this mess we are in!) Take care, Nancy B
    georgia888 responded:
    Hello Schrode,
    Does your area have a physiatrist? They provide pain management for those living with various conditions that cause chronic pain.

    On the conservative treatment side, I highly recommend warm water pool therapy. I visit one daily & it truly helps to keep me more flexible & mobile.

    Best of luck to you!

    teelady1 responded:
    I see both a PCP and a rhuematologist. It was first my PCP that suggested FM and later I have started seeing a Rhuemy to confirm the diagnosis and get their opinion on treatment.

    I have kept my PCP updated on my visits to the Rhuemy and he is totally fine with me seeing the other Dr.

    For the most part the Rhuemy has agreed with the treatment my PCP has provided.

    Helpful Tips

    Vitamin D level checked ***
    I encourage everyone who is having pain problems to ask your doctor to check your Vitamin D level......a simple blood test...and so very ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    233 of 263 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.