Skip to content
egads, poison ivy or what ever
Wolfsong452 posted:
yeah dumb me pulled weeds in my drive way, I knew there was poison ivy or something like that there.

no, I did not wear gloves.

I now have it on my hands, and on my arms up to the elbows. sheesh, I'm putting anti-itch cream on it, which helps to a point. I'm also making sure it's kept clean.

thing is I"m also having an itchy scalp, don't think it's the poison ivy, as it's just one spot on the scalp, this was going on for several weeks before I pulled weeds.

itchy scalp., what a pain,

itchy skin from the poison ivy, driving me NUTS!

booch007 responded:
If severe, you need the doctor. The key is to get it dry....

First cotisone cream to slow the inflamatory reaction.......and sun and salt water is good stuff...

All the blisters will crust but you are open for infection especially the hands (that are in everything). If it were me, I would get to the doctor for a shot of (probable decadron...cortisone) to get you through this faster....

Anytime you think exposed WASH WELL...after. The wax on the leaf is the bugger that gets you. There is a wash called ivy stop that DH keeps in the house for himself.

For years I wasn't allergic (reactive) so i got the job of cleaning it out...NOW I am sensitive to everything! Got it so near the eyes they were closed first time I reacted....YIKES. So careful is the key.

Respect the LEAVES OF THREE!....so sorry for you, it is so uncomfortable. Hope it passes quickly. Take care , nancy B

xperky responded:
I would be careful not to get it in your eyes, etc. Can you wear some cotton gloves and long sleeves over night? Also, be careful not to get it on the dog's hairs and then back on you again. So sorry! It was good to get some weeding done, but bad that some of them were poison ivy!
With Compassion,
Margaret

Wolfsong452 replied to booch007's response:
yeah putting the cream on, real bummer, I've found washing it with some soapy soap, then rinsing it in cold water seems to help. Then putting on the cream when it's dried.

when it gets so itchy then I'm back with the soap and washing.

thing are starting to break open and crust up, ahhh, feeling better,

yes, watching for that darn bad word, infection.

I thought I was exposed, and washed, washed and washed, guess it was too late.

egads! it's 12:30 in the morning and I"m itching!

Wolfsong452 replied to xperky's response:
when I was at work last night I worn the long sleeves, it did help a bit.

right now I"m back at work, this time I'm wearing short sleeves, as the person going to relieve me this time will be my supervisor, have to be in proper clothes.

don't have to worry about the dogs hairs, then coming back to me.

I've had to put my dog down about a month ago. It's still hitting me hard.

thanks for the reminder about dog hair and poison ivy, I will pass on that info

yes, very very careful not to get it into my eyes, was going to burn the brush then remembered that the poison ivy burning can get into your lungs, so burning will be put off

thanks all,

booch007 replied to Wolfsong452's response:
Yes it can get in your lungs burning it, I had a nurse friend of mine in the ER...with steroid inhalers due to this....

Tough stuff this.

The worst is over though...now to get through to dry and crusted everywhere...........good luck! Nancy B

Wolfsong452 replied to booch007's response:
oh yeah, probably another week of this,

darn it!

at least now, it's mostly just the one arm itching, not BOTH of them.

xperky replied to Wolfsong452's response:
So sorry to hear about your dog! My condolences.
With Compassion,
Margaret

Anon_408 responded:
You may be cleared up some by now, but back in the days when my or my family contacted it, we used calamine lotion. Stopped the itch and dried it up.

Also for itching, Bendedryl was recommended, Hope you are feeling better and cleared up!

Wolfsong452 replied to xperky's response:
thank you, he was the last one, I called him my baby face, little brat, hee hee.

Wolfsong452 replied to Anon_408's response:
I tried the calamine lotion, it does work, along with the Benadryl,

thing is, when I"m at work, I have to wear a short sleeved white dress blouse with a tie,

I also work 3rd shift, 10 pm till 6 am,

can't have the Benadryl putting me to sleep, can't walk around with pink arms,

they did say something about this.

gosh darn it!

Helpful Tips

~FM TIPS - LIVING W/ FM - TOOLBOX ~WELCOME NEWCOMMERS~
Welcome to Our FMily! My name is MeMe, I'm an FM suffer of 19 years, along with autoimmune diseases & other conditions. ... More
Was this Helpful?
467 of 542 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.