Skip to content
Chronic pain in the gluteals
couponer posted:
Hi, I'm new to the FMS Community. Was diagnosed over a year ago with FMS and diagnosed with RA almost 2-1/2 yrs. now. I'm putting out a question in hopes of finding someone else who might have or had something as I do; painful lower gluteals. No matter what position I'm in; standing, sitting, in bed, walking, etc., there's no relief. Has anyone else suffered from this, and if yes, what did you do to help relieve it? I've tried Advil & Tylenol with no success. If I'm lucky, I use any leftover narcotics from surgeries/ER visits.

Any insights are welcomed!

Couponer

gabuschka responded:
hi Couponer, welcome to this community. the only thing which helped me with my painful gluteals has been massage. If you like I can ask the massage therapist if there is a name for this type of massage. it was somewhat rather embarrassing at first but after it helped so much I did not care anymore about that. Best wishes

couponer replied to gabuschka's response:
Hi Gauschka-

Thank you for your reply, and YES, I'd like to know of the name of the massage/technique that this therapist uses ! Thank you for suggesting this and sparing me the embarrassment that comes along with it.

All the best - Couponer

Teelady1 responded:
I have had issues with tight and painful glutes recently.

Massage has helped as well as taking a muscle relaxant at bedtime. Flexeril.

I was waking up during the night and could feel the tight glute muscles. This is not happening as often since taking the flexeril.

gabuschka replied to couponer's response:
hi Couponer, it was deep tissue massage using gliding and kneading motions along with laughing. It reminded me of working with dough. About the same motions and pressure that you would use to make pizza dough. the whole time the therapist was distracting me with jokes because I was obviously embarrassed at first. it lasted about ten minutes. therapist told me not to sit down for more than 30 minutes after the massage. instructed to get up and move around for at least 5 minutes before sitting back down. It was still early in the day so I had to do many 5 minute stretches.also instructed to drink a lot of pure water to wash out the toxins. I always was troubled with cellulite in that area of my body and after the massage it was gone! the therapist is very experienced and has a large following so I won't be able to find out more until my appointment next week. I let you know if I get more info. If you live in PA you might be able to try this therapist. Best wishes.

stphotopro responded:
Hi Couponer. I thought I was alone with the glute pain (both sides) Too painful to sit, stand or walk. I agree that a massage from a PT works, but it only works for a short time for me. Something else you might want to try is leaning up against a wall with a small soft rubber ball between you and the wall. Move around so the ball folls back and forth over the glutes. Also stand in one position lightly pressing the ball against the wall. It acts as your in-home massage therapist. It sometimes works for me. Best of luck, and if you find any other helpful tricks please let me know.
"Keep roll'n around"!

RachelMV responded:
This excruciating glute pain has been a real problem for me for about a year. I thought it was related to a specific injury until the past month, when I read that it's fibro-specific. SIGH. I actually found that deep tissue massage can be very, very uncomfortable and leave me feeling very sore the next day--so be careful. I find comfort from Lorazepam when I really can't take it. But it's too addictive to be a long-term solution. I also found a sale on MBT shoes... they are generally VERY expensive... but vastly improve my discomfort. Finally, I find that the most aggravating but helpful thing with the glute pain is to keep active. It's usually worse when I've needed to spend a large chunk of the day in bed, at the computer, or plopped on the couch due to exhaustion. You might want to experiment with crouching positions or even different types of cushions for yoga sitting that place pressure on the rear-end differently. Good Luck!!

couponer replied to gabuschka's response:
Thanks Gabuschka - I don't live in PA, but am sure I could find someone who does this type of massage.

Thanks again for responding to my plea!!

All the Best,
couponer

couponer replied to RachelMV's response:
RachelMV-

I, too, thought that the painful glutes were related to my back or hip - until I read about this on WebMD. In a sad way, I'm grateful that others also have had issues with it.

What are MBT shoes?

Warm Regards,
couponer

couponer replied to stphotopro's response:
Will definitely try these exercises with the ball. When I had PT for other issues, I found it didn't help much and when it did, it was brief.

Thanks again for your tips - : )

Couponer

gabuschka replied to couponer's response:
Hope you find some relief soon. Best wishes.

Helpful Tips

Living Well with Fibromyalgia
Greetings! I have learned patience and a positive attitude is key to my pain management. I developed Fibromyalgia after a hysterectomy in ... More
Was this Helpful?
191 of 208 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.